Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Luggage review. Saddlemen tailbag.

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  broc944 
#1 ·
For those who are after luggage I hope this is helpful...

I have an 07 R1 and often go away for several days so needed a luggage solution. I hate riding long distances with a backpack and don't really like tankbags although I have one and used it lots on previous bikes.

I had a Ventura rack and bag but that ended badly when the rack fractured my subframe in 2 places after less than 3000km of use. Ventura came good and refunded the rack and supplied a new subframe but that's another story.

Thought about throwover soft panniers but the unshielded yoshi underseat exhaust posed problems. After a bit of research I decided to give a Saddlemen Tunnel Bag a go. It was a bit of a gamble because there is no Australian supplier so I couldn't check it for fit had to get it shipped from the US. Heres the link from their site, http://www.saddlemen.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7427 I didn't buy from them because I found a way better deal on shipping elsewhere.

Just got a chance to test it out on a 600km trip for the weekend and I am happy with it.

It attaches to the pillion seat via a mounting pad. The pad straps to the seat and the bag attaches to the pad with velcro to locate it and 3 straps with a cam type setup to hold it. It comes with 4 straps for extra security. I only used 2 straps and it didn't move.It's secure at road speed and I may or may not have tested it to about 240km/h, officer. The straps cleared my exhaust by about 1 inch.

The fit is good and thankfully there is adequate clearance between it and the exhaust, see pic's. That was my major concern. Its volume is 1450 cubic inches, which is meaningless to me, works out about 24 litres. It's not huge but was easily enough for 2 days clothes, shoes, jumper, raingear, 2nd set gloves and the usual other bits and pieces. I'm sure you could safely attach another small bag to it without a problem if required, thats what I'll be doing for Phillip Island trip next month. I didn't really notice any impact on how the bike handled, unlike the old Ventura bag which was like a sail (but also has greater capacity).

I was also lucky enough to hit some rain. Its got an inbuilt rain cover and it did the job but I don't know how well it would hold up in heavy rain at speed for long distances.

If you're still reading you must be interested in a luggage solution. I reccomend considering this set up. I like that it isn't just a towering cube attached to the pillion seat, it fits in with the bike as well as any luggage could on a sports bike.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That actually looks really good on the bike, I'll have to keep this in mind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.