Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally have enough video content and interesting (I think) stuff to start an actual legitimate forum for making sportbike videos.

I'm sure it will be a pretty quiet site, as not a whole bunch of folks are into mounting hundreds of dollars worth of camera gear to a bike that there's a better than 75% chance you will throw down the middle of a racetrack. :D
But alas, we are a fun bunch.

My vision for this is that I get a bunch of folks sharing information about making motorcycle videos. How to mount them, good buys, bullet cams, editing tips, light, focus, lenses ... you name it.

At a minimum, it's a whole lot easier to just be able to log onto a forum to post my pics and videos rather than have to mess around with building web-pages from HTML code every weekend (arghhh!).

A new version of the phpBB forum software just got released a few weeks ago. It does all kinds of neat stuff (like upload pictures, video, and type ride reports) much more efficiently than the old way I was doing it.

So, here it is: http://www.magicratproductions.com

It's an artsy kind of site, so you have to have screen resolution of at least 1024x768 to see it properly (otherwise everything will look really huge and you will have to scroll all over the place to read it).

P.S. - There is a private part to the site that I only allow friends in, too.

·
AFTERHELLBURNER
1,725 Posts
:thumbup cool site but is there anyway to watch the videos without music and just hear the bikes. People have the same love for track riding but not so much with musical taste.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:thumbup cool site but is there anyway to watch the videos without music and just hear the bikes. People have the same love for track riding but not so much with musical taste.
Thks.

No. The soundtrack is rendered into the video.

To make them w/o music would be a problem for me because my bullet cameras have no sound ... so in any shot not shooting through the front screen there would be silence.

... a lot of silence.

·
R190-`Tyre Fryer`
2,683 Posts
gixxer cam?! lol sif look at your bike in the garage :D

·
Have keys, Will Travel
285 Posts
Thks.

No. The soundtrack is rendered into the video.

To make them w/o music would be a problem for me because my bullet cameras have no sound ... so in any shot not shooting through the front screen there would be silence.

... a lot of silence.
The fix to that seems simple enough....You have all cameras rolling for the entire duration of the race correct? And at least one camera has a sound pickup right...? so just just the sound from that camera and overlay it on all the others when you are editing, just remember to keep your times in sync, what software are you using for editing?...I recommend the sony softs Like vegas etc. or VirtualDubMod for the free route....

Did that make sense?

I say that because i am a fan of engine sound more than background music, or if there is background music, it should be just that BACKGROUND, where the main focus is still on the engine... Just my two cents anyway...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The fix to that seems simple enough....You have all cameras rolling for the entire duration of the race correct? ...
No. I don't. I wish I did, tho.

I have one actual camcorder mounted to the tank and the bullet cams feeding it. I can only film one angle at a time.

That said, I have tried to mount 2 cameras. One on the tank and one on the rear peg. The problem I'm having with that is that the rear mounted cam is getting so many g-forces that the recording head comes off the tape in the corners. The footage is pretty much unusable.

It was pretty interesting to discover that. The tank mount is center of mass on the bike ... but the rear mount is obviously back there and on the side ... makes a big difference.

At first I thought the problem was vibration. It's not. because on street rides (slower) it works fine. At track speeds, t's the actual "force" from flopping side-to-side.

I have some new mount ideas for 2008 that I'm going to try. Will see if they work.

·
Have keys, Will Travel
285 Posts
Have you tried one of the hard drive based cams... or one that will defently withstand the gs...a solid state drive based cam... pricey but nice...oh so nice...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
gixxer cam?! lol sif look at your bike in the garage :D
Have you tried one of the hard drive based cams... or one that will defently withstand the gs...a solid state drive based cam... pricey but nice...oh so nice...
Exactly one of the reasons I started the site. To discuss things like that.

Check my "buying camcorders" post ... it talks to my experiences with those.

http://www.magicratproductions.com/magicforum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3

·
The Goldenchild
4,451 Posts
Way to go Pat! The new site looks great...:fact Now I can take a look at your new work in the DC area from STL. We sure miss the vidoes from the rides on STLAR.:fact

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Way to go Pat! The new site looks great...:fact Now I can take a look at your new work in the DC area from STL. We sure miss the vidoes from the rides on STLAR.:fact
Thks, Stu.

I have my first "Trackumentary" coming out in a few weeks.

I've been working on it with Norm Burt (who does video for a living) and the CCS RPM Motorsports Racing Team ... since February ...

It's the kewlest video I've ever done (well, helped do ... Norm is a genius).

·
The Goldenchild
4,451 Posts
Thks, Stu.

I have my first "Trackumentary" coming out in a few weeks.

I've been working on it with Norm Burt (who does video for a living) and the CCS RPM Motorsports Racing Team ... since February ...

It's the kewlest video I've ever done (well, helped do ... Norm is a genius).
Are you going to be posting the Trackumentary on the site or is that going into the "Private Stock"?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.