Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me just say I have done plenty of burn outs before this incident but, yea I know, doing a burn out was probably a stupid idea. Now that we all agree I hope that you can help me.

So to start off I will say I am no mechanic but I am really good with tools and the basics of my bike. So after a burn out when I finally start moving again I get about two blocks then my bike cuts off mid ride. I pull over then I get her to start back up after about a minute but now she sounds terrible, almost like a dirt bike. Luckily I am about 5 blocks from home so after I get her to start back up I ride her home but she won't move like she is supposed to, I maybe got up to 30mph max. Not sure if it was turning her back on was the smartest thing but I'm here now. So as I pull into my driveway she cuts off again, I put her in the garage since it was pretty late and figure I'd give her a look over in the morning.

Next day I start her up to see if i can notice any problems and again, she sounds horrible :(. I then begin to smell something burning and when I get off the bike I look towards the rear and a cloud of white smoke is puffing from my tail pipes. Now I know something is wrong but I do not know where to begin.

I called some of my mechanic friends and some believe it is a head gasket, some believe it is a piston, I myself don't know what to believe I just want some advice on how to go about diagnosing the problem.

Here is some more information about my bike that may be useful. She runs EXTREMELY hot, I mean one time i seen the temp at 270+, which I then immediately turn her off. Usually when I ride her once I get home I smell like all kinds of fumes, which I personally though was normal until I rode a friends GSXR for about 4 hours and once I got home I didn't have my usual fume filled smell. Also one time, a couple years ago, I left my bike running and got off to talk to a friend and the coolant in the reservoir started to boil then eventually popped the top and started to just spew all over the place.

So I know this was extremely long winded but I wanted to provide as much information as possible in hopes of getting the best answers/suggestions/tips.

Thanks for reading, and the help!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Sounds like your bike has had a head gasket issue for awhile now. Do a leakdown test. Good way to see if one cylinder is leaking into the next one. Don’t think your burnout had much to do with it.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Check out my recent thread for some helpful info (possibly)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like your bike has had a head gasket issue for awhile now. Do a leakdown test. Good way to see if one cylinder is leaking into the next one. Don’t think your burnout had much to do with it.
@Deer_killer, after reading through your thread you may just be on to something. I looked into how to do a leak down test and with my limited mechanical background I don't feel comfortable taking on this task myself. I have my cousin coming over this Friday who says he will do it for me since he works on bikes. I will keep you posted with my finding. Thanks for responding and sharing your thread, interesting read!

·
Registered
26 Posts
If it sounds 'like a dirt bike' that's not a head gasket.
Or at least, it's not just the head gasket.

Does it idle properly?
Does it rev through cleanly?
Does it sound like a 4 cylinder bike still?

Head gasket would be things like running hot, pressurised coolant, oil/water mix etc but unlikely it'd sound that different.

First thing is you letting us know whether all cylinders are firing properly.
My 5VY let go two years ago at the end of a fast straight, accelerating from 100 to 165mph ish...

It sounded deeper, wouldn't rev and wouldn't idle.
I managed to ride it back 80miles but a full rebuild was required.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey @Deer_killer and @Jon Melson ,

So my cousin came by today and gave it a look and I will do my best to describe what we found. Please bare with me as this is the first time I heard a lot of these terms.

So we opened up the crank case and as soon as he pulled off the last spark plug cover (may be the wrong term) we seen it was wet inside and smelled like gas/oil. This is the left most spark plug and there was definitely oil in there. So @Jon Melson this may be where the be what you are speaking of in regards to firing all cylinders because he doesn't believe that spark plug is working properly.

Looking at the top of the crank shaft we see oil in there, not sure if it's supposed to be in there I am doing research on that now, but its there. We also notice that all the way to the left one of the "levers" on the intake camshaft is damaged and the left most intake camshaft cover is broken which make sense since its the cover that is holding the camshaft. We also noticed that above that the cylinder head is broken and the cylinder head gasket is also damaged. He looked inside and thinks there is a bent rod in there, I believe it is the intake valve.

So that is what we were able to diagnose so far. My next course of action is to try and find parts to replace what we seen is broken. Cylinder Head, Cylinder Head Gasket, Intake Camshaft (Which he thinks we should just polish but I am leaning towards just replacing thoughts?), and the Intake Camshaft Cover.

We didn't do the leak down test just yet. Looking for replacement parts and doing a whole bunch of research now though.

Happy to hear any feedback you may have!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
eBay for cylinder head and related parts. They will need to go to a machine shop to be checked, new valves and keepers, etc. This will cost some money.

Option #2:
Source a used engine and just replace the whole thing. This is usually the cheaper way to go, but a bit of a gamble because you don’t know the engines history/reliability. But chances are it’ll have a better history than your current one (which sounds like its fvcked).

Anything is fixable with enough time/money. One thing to consider for you now...How much time/money are you willing to put towards this whole deal?

Take the head off and see what the cylinder walls look like. Might as well at this point...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
eBay for cylinder head and related parts. They will need to go to a machine shop to be checked, new valves and keepers, etc. This will cost some money.

Option #2:
Source a used engine and just replace the whole thing. This is usually the cheaper way to go, but a bit of a gamble because you don’t know the engines history/reliability. But chances are it’ll have a better history than your current one (which sounds like its fvcked).

Anything is fixable with enough time/money. One thing to consider for you now...How much time/money are you willing to put towards this whole deal?

Take the head off and see what the cylinder walls look like. Might as well at this point...
I agree, eBay was my first stop for these parts but the ones listed now seem to have some issues. I know I will have to settle a bit but want to ensure I am getting the best deal possible.

In regards to option 2 I have a lot of people telling me to go that route, which I originally considered until my cousin convinced me to fix/rebuild it instead. My engine has about 10k miles on it which is low for the year but if it doesn't work that doesn't matter much haha.

I don't wish to spend so much that just getting a new bike seems like a better idea so I would say about 2k is my max. In your experience how much would a rebuild cost?

I think after a while I will get restless and start taking things off myself because I can't expect my cousin to come back and forth from NY just to work on my engine for a couple hours.

I am located in NJ, northern/central area.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
$2k is gonna be tough. All depends on what needs to be done. New cams and head work I don’t think $2k is going to make it. Cams aren’t cheap and all the little parts you need add up quick. Machine work for the head along with all the valves and whatnot get up there too.

Still need to know about the cylinder condition and what the connecting rods and all that look like.

Post some pics of the stuff you’re describing and what you’ve found also.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey @Deer_killer ,

Hmmm that is sad to hear but I am willing to see what it will cost before I go the new engine route. I started taking the engine apart myself to try and move things along.

Today as I was removing the spark plug one just won't come out. It spins and spins but just won't come out, not sure why. But I took come pics of all the parts that I seen broken so far. Take a look let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Pull the head off, if the bores and pistons are in good shape get a second hand complete head with cams and bolt it all back together and prey that you are lucky. If the pistons and or bore is damaged the engine will provide plenty of useful spare parts for the cheap replacement that you’ll need to put in. Or you can go all out and do a complete ground up rebuild which wont be anywhere near your $2k budget. You can also part the bike and cut your losses, and go down and get the new one you know you want. If it was me I wouldn’t decide anything until I had the head off

·
Registered
26 Posts
There are two things I'd consider in deciding what to do:

1) cost
2) complexity

I removed and reinstalled my 5VY engine; I bought the tool for the frame alignment adjusters and an extra long allen for the bolts on throttle body/intakes.

That's the limit of what I want to do; an engine rebuild on a modern multi cylinder 4 stroke is a step too far.

I'd suggest that given you're having to ask questions on a forum, your mechanical knowledge isn't enough for a successful rebuild.

As for cost, it is much cheaper to buy either a replacement engine...
..or replacement bike and either sell yours for parts or break the other for spares.

My forks, shocks, brakes etc were all good & recently serviced so I toyed with keeping my rolling chassis and bolting in a known running engine from another bike.

I'd either buy a new engine and swap it, or get your engine rebuilt by a pro.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Interesting that the cam caps are damaged/broken like that. Wish I could put my eyes on it in real life. Tough to tell from Internet pics. Definitely some bad physical damage there though

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pull the head off, if the bores and pistons are in good shape get a second hand complete head with cams and bolt it all back together and prey that you are lucky. If the pistons and or bore is damaged the engine will provide plenty of useful spare parts for the cheap replacement that you’ll need to put in. Or you can go all out and do a complete ground up rebuild which wont be anywhere near your $2k budget. You can also part the bike and cut your losses, and go down and get the new one you know you want. If it was me I wouldn’t decide anything until I had the head off
Working on taking the whole head off. For some reason I cannot get the crankshaft to turn to TDC. It's like it's stuck. Googled to see if I could find some answers and it may be due to a bent piston, or it could be because the spark plug is still stuck in position 1. I will update when/if I get it off.

But the plan is to see if I can replace a couple parts instead of a full rebuild. If it requires a full rebuild I will continue my search for a used engine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey @Deer_killer @Hoonicorn @Jon Melson

Just want to give you guys an update. Took the head off, things look all bad. I don't 100% know what I am looking at but I know what I see is terrible. This looks like it would be wildly expensive to fix, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Looks like I will be looking for a new engine, and/or bike.

·
Registered
53 Posts
#1 piston is definitely fvcked. Does the thing turn over smoothly after removing the head and the cylinder bores?
Either way the Number 1bore will need replating for sure as well as replacement head and piston, mad not to freshen up the rest once your that far into it. If the rest of the bike is worth it and you can source a second hand engine go for it, I’d part the bike out and get a new one if it was me.
you can turn the engine over and check the movement of the pistons and crank, can’t hurt anything

1 - 20 of 31 Posts