Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 raptor quad with a 2001 R1 engine crammed in the frame. I had it tuned and dynoed and it put down 118hp at the rear wheels. Does this sound normal? I know I have more drag since I have to put it down through 2 wheels vs 1. Do you guys have anything you would recommed to open it up alittle.

·
THE MAN
3,743 Posts
if it was a Factory Pro dyno I would think 118 is about right, if it's a dynojet Dyno then i would think something is amiss.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I check on the dyno type but like I said i think it will be a little lower since I'm putting it through quad rear setup. If you think about it an R1 has a greesed pin it spins on as to where a quad has heavy 36" wide axle and a large round carrier barring to put it through.

I was thinking about putting a 20-30 shot of NOS on it just to give some extra kick on the hill when draging. Do you guys have good experience with NOS on these engins?

Here are some pics with my fat arse on it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bump for the N2O question. How do these engines hold up to it? I checked on the dyno and it's a dynojet. Didn't get a chance to check the compression yet it was raining all weekend.

·
Registered
26 Posts
With a little massaging there is more available, without spending too much money on parts! (No NOS).
I got 141 hp at the rear wheel, (measured on the dyno that was used to tune Mick Doohan's 500 2 smoker) by mild porting of the heads inlet side, taking 20 thou off the head, cutting up the standard down pipes and welding them into a 4 into1, and therefore deleting the exup. The carbys were modded by filing the taper on the mainslide needles to a finer point, and polishing them, in a drill stand to a fine finish with 600 grit wet n dry. (They were made identical with a micrometer, by marking them at 2mm intervals with a fine marker pen). The carby mainslides were drilled oversized to 150%, in order to liven up the slide response to the low pressure. Bigger main jets are fitted. Cutting away the top of the inlet horns, and all of the plastic inside of the air cleaner end, improves flow into the airbox, but transforms the lower side of the fuel tank into a lid for the airbox. Jacking up the tank at the front tunes the airflow. Offsetting the the ignition trigger to operate 2 to 4 degrees earlier, improves power further up the rev range. It takes some fiddling to get it all balanced! Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.