Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Congratulations on March 2013 BOTM to Lee in scunny for this incredible build. The collection of pieces you have assembled is nothing short of phenominal. Thanks for sharing.

The Story-

Anyway my build........
I bought my bike on December 4th 2010. There was a foot of snow & I was not happy that I had to bring her home in the back of a van instead of riding her. As the weather was bad & I was itching to go out on her I spent every spare moment in the garage, like a kid with a new toy. She was looking a bit plain so I added an Abarth decal kit to the bland white fairing. A few carbon goodies turned up. With all this fitted & the weather seemingly improving I managed to get out for a ride. What a difference to the 4xv I was used to. The power delivery seemed brutal in comparison. After a few weeks I felt the need for some more goodies….some Factory Yamaha rear sets. The weather was now improving so I thought it would be a good idea to go to Donnington Park for a trackday...... Wrong, the front suspension was too soft & bottomed out causing the back end to lift up off the ground. The rear was too soft causing the rear to compress far too quickly & break traction. Add that to the fact that the shift light was flashing on the way into every corner. A new riding style was needed, ie using the torque of the motor instead of the horsepower like the 4xv. The next step was to take the bike to Cais in Manchester who are an Ohlins dealer. They fitted springs, overweight oil & piston kits. I also managed to get hold of a Nitron race spec rear shock and a pair of Bike Tec tyre warmers. I decided that since I was gonna be doing a few trackdays I would purchase some race fairings. I sourced some hotbodies items for a very reasonable amount & set about painting them in the Yart 24hr endurance colours. Now with the fairings fitted & suspension sorted I went to Silverstone for yet another trackday. I had the suspension set up at trackside courtesy of 100% suspension services. The bike felt totally different. Transformed would be the word however it was still braking traction all to easily for my liking. The answer was an IRC traction control unit with launch control & anti-wheelie. This wasn't a straight fit as you have to make your own brackets for the sensors ect.... With the t/c on & working I went off for another trackday this time to Cadwell park. After a bit of fine fettling of the settings I was very impressed & could get the power on a lot earlier than I would have dared only a few weeks previous. Now I was happy with the bikes handling I thought it would be a good idea to squeeze a few fore horses out so I bought an Akro evo titanium system, PCV & a Febur lower radiator as the temps were getting into the 110 degree area. I must have had a good base as she made 163bhp on the dyno. With the set up complete I went off to brands hatch for a trial run. It felt so much better in every department from being at Donnington. I kept her as she was for a few months before a few more bits came up.... Next came a Fabtech swingarm.... Albeit without the chain adjusters & spindle. A phone call to Fabtech revealed that they wanted to fleece me for £900. Also they wanted me to send the swingarm & wheel to them. The other solution was to get a local engineering firm to manufacture some copies. So we made some patterns & along with some pics of the FRT adjusters we got a local firm to make some from billet aluminum. I used a standard spindle that was adapted & a 32mm Probolt stainless steel nut pressed & welded on. I also had the endurance wheel locators made & fitted to enable easy wheel changes. Also at the same time a set of BST carbon fibre wheels came up along with a WSB spec rear hugger. I had decided I had become bored of the Yart colour scheme so trolled through loads of images before settling on the WSB Sterilgarda colours. Once again back to Cadwell & the back end seemed more planted & firm than before. Also it tipped into the corner so much easier. However I found that with the growing confidence I had that the brakes were starting to suffer with some degree of fade. The next plan was to upgrade the calipers. I didn't want to go down the 100mm spacing with adapter brackets so I searched for some 108mm Ohlins forks. However I found a set with 130mm but with removable caliper brackets. So a phone call to Cais & a set of 108mm brackets were on the way. I also managed to source a set of Pretech 6 pot calipers of Peter Hickman’s 2009 BSB bike. It was now winter so the bits were fitted & the bike covered up & forgotten.
With winter out of the way it was time for a February shakedown. So off to Cadwell park again & all was going well, the brakes were a big improvement over standard. This could have been down to the SBS dual carbon pads. But then in the afternoon...... A low side at the top of the goose neck caused by a cold left hand side of the tyre. Those who know Cadwell will know it is a predominately right hand circuit. So after my little get off I stripped the bike to assess the damage. Surprisingly it was only panel damage, a bent footpeg & clip on & a twisted fairing bracket. So the search began for some replacement fairings. The only ones that I could find available was the 2 piece items. I really wanted a 4 piece set as it is easier to strip if needed. Anyway after searching through the net I came across the FTR underseat tank and tail. The tank was good & even had the pump in it. However the seat hump was from a carbon seat unit & mine was the Fabtech aluminium subframe unit. So after a bit of fibreglass here & there it began to take shape & looked like this. The next task was to split the wiring loom & with the help of a diagram remove the lighting & all other bits that weren't needed. I also needed to move the regulator wiring along with the fuse box, starter solenoid & tilt switch. This took me 2 evenings after work to complete & once taped up you couldn't really tell. The next night I put the loom back on the bike & was amazed that it started straight away & with no fault codes. The only issue I had was that the fuel light was constantly on. Next I found a set of fairings on eBay. I sent the seller a message to find out if they were the larger intake type (as that was really what I was after). He replied & said they weren't but he did have a set of used 666 carbon fairings. A price was negotiated & I made the 5 hour round trip to collect them that evening. I remember thinking now my build is really gathering pace. After another couple of nights in the garage I had removed all the decals offered all the panels up & made the necessary brackets to fit them. The next step was to get all the panel apart from the belly pan in 2k primer. These were then left for another 2 days to cure & then the shine was removed from the clearcoat. Now comes the hard bit..... 6 hours of applying decals. I'm sure it took less on my last set of panels. Once this was done the last coat of clear was applied. I finished the battery tray & mounted the tilt switch, Irc traction brain & quickshift box. I also bled up my Hudson engineering thumb brake.
The results:

http://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii405/floorer0/DSC02123_zpse
7662139.jpg

·
DILLIGAF
4,472 Posts
Damn that's a sweet ass ride. Congrats!

·
Go Hard or Go Home!
1,083 Posts
AWESOME BIKE!! Great job mixing and matching to create a truly well put together machine. Congrats, enjoy and ride safe.

·
Hope is what makes us Human.
8,409 Posts
APPROVED! :fact

·
Cheating death in the "D"
21,068 Posts
great build Lee, well thought out, excellent choice of components, looks the part :thumbup

great to see more quality builds showing up on the forum :yesnod

·
Registered
734 Posts
Congrats Lee!! Now that's a BUILD! You must be a friend of Simon... :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts