Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
The Original Turbo
Joined
·
2,332 Posts
hahahahaha you beat me to this:

"I can't believe how fast Eric (Bostrom)'s bike is. I mean, full Superbike spec against essentially production bikes. That's just not right, is it? I tell you, if I had a bike that fast, imagine how fast I could be," Suzuki's Mat Mladin said from the Yoshimura garage after Daytona qualifying. "They've won every World Championship there is to win over the last 20 years, racing (here) against bloody street bikes. What's up with that?"

Mat's comments where clearly a dig at provisional polesitter Bostrom, who last year claimed Mladin had an unfair advantage on the Suzuki GSX-R1000 when he rode on the Kawasaki ZX-7.

As far as his day went on Wednesday, Mat said he concentrated on shaking down the GSX-R1000, getting it ready for the famous Daytona 200 mile race he has won twice. "It's going okay, no worries." Mladin's best time was a 1:49.203, good for sixth.

Mat said setting up the bike for one quick circuit is a waste of time. "One lap in 200 miles is not gonna help," said the four-time AMA Superbike champion.

He did have his team fit a qualifying tire late in the session, though. "We tried one but I didn't do a very good job of it. I haven't used one for a long time, we didn't have them last year ... I like to know what I've got (grip-wise)"," Mat said.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,152 Posts
Did you see the review of him on two wheel tuesday? They show him winning the 98-99-01-03 titles. Then when they show the 02 year he says"we just couldn't get the bike set up right". LOL. Sure buddy!! Hayden is what didn't get you the title.

Just admit that you can be beat, don't find excuses for everything. It's called humility.
 

·
The Original Turbo
Joined
·
2,332 Posts
Lestat77 said:
Did you see the review of him on two wheel tuesday? They show him winning the 98-99-01-03 titles. Then when they show the 02 year he says"we just couldn't get the bike set up right". LOL. Sure buddy!! Hayden is what didn't get you the title.

Just admit that you can be beat, don't find excuses for everything. It's called humility.
Naw man. I have to admit, Mladin had serious problems in 02. He kicked Hayden's ass in 01 thoroughly. Mladin was clearly off of his game.

You can't win em all....
 

·
2wheelife.com
Joined
·
292 Posts
I have to agree, when eric said kinda the same thing last year, Mat got upset and told eric to stop crying, and that eric has a choice of bike and should choose the right bike, lol lamo, Matt should chose the right bike. and what about the lap times on super sport, The R1 is doing damn fine.:jump
 

·
I eat my R1
Joined
·
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Turbo329 said:
Naw man. I have to admit, Mladin had serious problems in 02. He kicked Hayden's ass in 01 thoroughly. Mladin was clearly off of his game.

You can't win em all....

I don't think Mladin had problems with the bike in 02, He was just saying he had problems to make it look like it wasn’t his fault. The real story I think is Hayden stepped up his game in 02 and Matt couldn’t hang He had the same bike in 01 and 02 he just couldn’t keep the pace Hayden was layin down in 02. I think Matt is and over rated cry baby.

The only reason he stays in AMA is because he knows in any other series he won’t be able to hang.

Also we all know that the GSXR was a much better bike than the ZX7. To see Eric kicking Matt’s ass in a couple races goes to show that Eric is way better rider than Matt. Now that the playing field is level you will see Matt start to cry like the little BBBEEEEOOTCH that he is. It’s never his fault it’s always the bikes fault.
 

·
The Original Turbo
Joined
·
2,332 Posts
R1_abuser said:
I don't think Mladin had problems with the bike in 02, He was just saying he had problems to make it look like it wasn’t his fault. The real story I think is Hayden stepped up his game in 02 and Matt couldn’t hang He had the same bike in 01 and 02 he just couldn’t keep the pace Hayden was layin down in 02. I think Matt is and over rated cry baby.

The only reason he stays in AMA is because he knows in any other series he won’t be able to hang.

Also we all know that the GSXR was a much better bike than the ZX7. To see Eric kicking Matt’s ass in a couple races goes to show that Eric is way better rider than Matt. Now that the playing field is level you will see Matt start to cry like the little BBBEEEEOOTCH that he is. It’s never his fault it’s always the bikes fault.
Dude, with all due respect, do you watch racing???? Mladin overated? He is a prick bastard, but the guy is fast. He had a bad year in 02 and everyone knows it. How do you go from winning 3 in a row, on a underpowered 750, to finishing 7th in 02? He clearly had problems. Then came back and dominated in 03. The guy is not overrated. He's just a mean bastard.

Why should he go to Moto GP on a flawed GSV-R?? Why should he go to World Superbike? Where the rules are even stricter than the AMA. He's doing what's best for his career and I give him credit for that. He does not suck. Anybody that says so is drinkin hate-orade!!!!

BTW in 02, Mladin had trouble with the Showa Shock and I even have VIR on tape where they were trying to cool the shock with a ice towel. How pathetic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,098 Posts
Turbo329 said:
Dude, with all due respect, do you watch racing???? Mladin overated? He is a prick bastard, but the guy is fast. He had a bad year in 02 and everyone knows it. How do you go from winning 3 in a row, on a underpowered 750, to finishing 7th in 02? He clearly had problems. Then came back and dominated in 03. The guy is not overrated. He's just a mean bastard.

Why should he go to Moto GP on a flawed GSV-R?? Why should he go to World Superbike? Where the rules are even stricter than the AMA. He's doing what's best for his career and I give him credit for that. He does not suck. Anybody that says so is drinkin hate-orade!!!!

BTW in 02, Mladin had trouble with the Showa Shock and I even have VIR on tape where they were trying to cool the shock with a ice towel. How pathetic.
mladin is a great pro racer, on a level most will never reach. that being said, he is not one of the better riders on the world level which is why he has never elevated to the world stage of racing. ama racing is at best the 4th ranked class of racing behind motogp, world superbike, and british superbikes.
by the way, gregorio lavilla did quite well on a "restricted" gsxr last year, and the crecent rizla suzuki team in british superbikes challenged for the title. so your comment about rules being a hinderance to mladins career doesn't pass muster. the rules are the same for everyone riding a 4cyl bike. can he only win when he has a rules advantage? those in the states with a limited knowledge of racing at the world level, think mladin is spectacular. those with more proper insight clearly see that ama racing is first, a watered down pool of talent compared to the world level, that top riders don't want to race here on these atiquated and unsafe tracks, (that fact alone keeps the top riders from coming to ama), and that mladin is clearly a mid tier talent. hell, each year at laguna, the european riders out class him on a track they ride ONCE per year.
 

·
I eat my R1
Joined
·
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Turbo329 said:
Dude, with all due respect, do you watch racing???? Mladin overated? He is a prick bastard, but the guy is fast. He had a bad year in 02 and everyone knows it. How do you go from winning 3 in a row, on a underpowered 750, to finishing 7th in 02? He clearly had problems. Then came back and dominated in 03. The guy is not overrated. He's just a mean bastard.

Why should he go to Moto GP on a flawed GSV-R?? Why should he go to World Superbike? Where the rules are even stricter than the AMA. He's doing what's best for his career and I give him credit for that. He does not suck. Anybody that says so is drinkin hate-orade!!!!

BTW in 02, Mladin had trouble with the Showa Shock and I even have VIR on tape where they were trying to cool the shock with a ice towel. How pathetic.
“How do you go from winning 3 in a row, on a underpowered 750, to finishing 7th in 02?” Other riders pick up the pace and go faster (AKA Hayden.) “He clearly had problems. Then came back and dominated in 03.” well no sh!t he went from a 750 to 1000 . Now that the playing field is level you will see what I mean by over rated.

Ya Matt is fast when he is on a perfect bike but who isn’t. But as soon as he has a little problem with the bike he starts to bitch and wine and can’t over come the problem. Look at Eric, he had all kinds of problems and over came them and was leading the serious at one point in 03. You know the one that you said Matt dominated in (NOT). Being able to overcome your problems and start winning, that’s what I would call a good rider. One that can’t overcome a problem and all he does is bitch about it. That’s what I would call an over rated rider (AKA Matt.)

The real reason he doesn’t go is because he doesn’t know how to ride a bike that isn’t perfect. Who cares if you don’t have the fastest bike. You go to better yourself and to grow. Hopkins went to Moto GP and he knew he wasn’t on the fastest bike but he has the balls to make the move and will learn. With Matt staying in AMA after winning four titles just goes to show how over rated he is.

If you really watched racing you would know all this already.
:finger :finger
 

·
Off Topic mod
Joined
·
11,194 Posts
I have my money on Mladin to win this year :fact
 

·
The Original Turbo
Joined
·
2,332 Posts
Shadow R One said:
I have my money on Mladin to win this year :fact
I'm with you on this. Even though Mat is a prick.

I'm not sure if the Ducati will hold up well so it's always a gamble with Eric.

But in my humble opinion, Eric and Ben, is Mladin's only competition.
 

·
The Original Turbo
Joined
·
2,332 Posts
R1_abuser said:
“Ya Matt is fast when he is on a perfect bike but who isn’t. But as soon as he has a little problem with the bike he starts to bitch and wine and can’t over come the problem. Look at Eric, he had all kinds of problems and over came them and was leading the serious at one point in 03. You know the one that you said Matt dominated in (NOT). Being able to overcome your problems and start winning, that’s what I would call a good rider. One that can’t overcome a problem and all he does is bitch about it. That’s what I would call an over rated rider (AKA Matt.)
If you really watched racing you would know all this already.
:finger :finger
So Mat wasn't the Underdog when he was on the GSX-R750 against the RC51's that were known to be close to World Superbike spec??????

The years he won three titles, he was on underpowered machinery. So how can you say he was always on the best bike????

I didn't think so.
 

·
69!
Joined
·
900 Posts
did you see him blow that rear tire at what 180 mph? the guy has skills, for sure, but he sure comes off as a dickhead whenever he opens his mouth.
 

·
shoots! scores!!
Joined
·
1,217 Posts
what a moron. i'll be sure to tune out if i ever hear that retard speaking.
 

·
the Green Bastard
Joined
·
6,973 Posts
Shadow R One said:
I have my money on Mladin to win this year :fact
Yeah...I won't be that bold but, I'll still do a fair amount of rooting for Mladin this year....I still think he's a badass!:rock
 

·
shoots! scores!!
Joined
·
1,217 Posts
Abe Froman said:
Now that Eric appears to be on equal or superior machinery, he will mop the floor with the rest of the field. Eric belongs in MotoGP along with Hayden. It's unfortunate that Kawasaki can't field a competitive bike and Ducati wants european riders on their squads. If the Ducati bosses really wanted a good showing they would lose Xuas on D'Antin and give Eric the shot he deserves. Instead they just want euro riders.

In MotoGP Mladin would be strictly a backmarker.
true that. i was pretty suprised to see kawasaki let go of eb instead of sending him to romp on the zx-rr. was rather disappointing...
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top