·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
R1 -- First; 147.9 hp; 70.47 ftlb; 172 kg; 177.72 mph
1000RR -- Second; 146.6 hp; 73.9 ftlb; 179 kg; 178.15 mph
Gixxer 1K -- Third; 144.4 hp; 74.8 ftlb; 168 kg; 175.57 mph
ZX-10R -- Fourth; 147.7 hp; 74.6 ftlb; 170 kg; 176.3 mph

Describes the R1 as the quickest around the track and the best on the road!

:fork

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some additional info:

Quarter Mile Times:

R1 -- 10.35 sec / 146.89 mph
1000RR -- 10.10 sec / 146.92 mph
Gixxer 1K -- 10.40 sec / 143.20 mph
ZX-10R -- 10.45 sec / 144.38 mph

Fastest Lap Times (Ledenon Circuit):

R1 -- 1:36.24 sec
Gixxer 1K -- 1:36.25 sec
1000RR -- 1:36.60 sec
ZX-10R -- 1:36.90 sec

·
Tuning forks all the way
136 Posts
Although the R1 is claimed as the winner, looking at the numbers it's not by much. Seems like the handling and the quicker revving motor is what just puts it over the top. MCN Quote "Acceleration is brutal - it not only matches the GSX-R1000, it's even quicker"

·
The fastest Colour!!!
279 Posts
Where are you guys getting this...
B

·
Off Topic mod
11,194 Posts
Hahahaha! I cant wait to read all the review and comparos of the litre bikes. Lets see how mnay diffrent winners we have

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
That looks like a slim margin to me. But all of those 1/4 mile times look slow to me.

·
mmmm. excellent.
1,325 Posts
TAFB said:
Some additional info:

Quarter Mile Times:

R1 -- 10.35 sec / 146.89 mph
1000RR -- 10.10 sec / 146.92 mph
Gixxer 1K -- 10.40 sec / 143.20 mph
ZX-10R -- 10.45 sec / 144.38 mph

Fastest Lap Times (Ledenon Circuit):

R1 -- 1:36.24 sec
Gixxer 1K -- 1:36.25 sec
1000RR -- 1:36.60 sec
ZX-10R -- 1:36.90 sec
Ha, this is funny. Knowing what we know about the honda's clutch and it's unwillingness to launch quickly (cycle world cbr vs. gixxer). And knowing what we know about the weight of the honda. And knowing what we know about the slow spin-up of the honda motor (next month's sport rider), to say that the CBR had both the best ET and trap speed is just preposterous. This is MCN trying to cover its ass with the honda loving UK crowd.

The result of the test overall is justified except the zx-10's lap times. I have it on authority from a motojourno who's ridden all four that the R1 is the one to get, but that the honda is the dog of the group. Engine spins up slow, clutch is horrible, weighs too much, and is harder to turn than all the other three.

Anyway, the more I look at these tests the more I think they're crapolla.

·
Beating a dead horse.
4,011 Posts
its still nice to know that the R1 is top now is some mags this year :D

·
My R1 has a little weiner
485 Posts
gb506 said:
Ha, this is funny. Knowing what we know about the honda's clutch and it's unwillingness to launch quickly (cycle world cbr vs. gixxer). And knowing what we know about the weight of the honda. And knowing what we know about the slow spin-up of the honda motor (next month's sport rider), to say that the CBR had both the best ET and trap speed is just preposterous. This is MCN trying to cover its ass with the honda loving UK crowd.
The extra weight on the CBR probably helps to keep the front wheel down during the launch, making it easier for JoeBlo sportbike owner or in this case MCN journalist to get the best 1/4 mile time over other bikes with superior #s and less weight.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Andy29 said:
The extra weight on the CBR probably helps to keep the front wheel down during the launch, making it easier for JoeBlo sportbike owner or in this case MCN journalist to get the best 1/4 mile time over other bikes with superior #s and less weight.
I agree. The CBR also has a longer swingarm. I'm not surprised that it quarters better than the other four. One might consider that there are 2 other bikes that have worse power/weight ratios than any of these 1000's, yet run the quarter faster: the ZX12 and 'busa.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Knowing well the track they used (Ledenon), laps in 1'36ish are anyway pretty slow. A standard decent time for a 600 cc would be 1'30-1'32, and below 1'30 for a 1000 cc.
It was the same for the track test they did at Almeria 2 weeks ago : they said the ZX was absolutely unreal, killing all competition with a best lap of 1'45"20, which is exactly the same that was recorded by a GSX-R 750 2 years ago on a similar test. And the best lap for the R1 04 (1'46"41) is also the same that the one they did with an R6 2002 !

·
...Is just so addicted to R1..
880 Posts
alot of good things to say...

Well, short and sweet, it's nice to see what has in effect happened: just as with the 600 class over the last 2 years, it looks like the liter class competition has effectively gone to nill-margin and the entire pack is super competitive- I think there's gonna be alot of bikes of the year this year- FOUR to be exact... they all have some incredible attributes and it looks like there's gonna be alot of excitement this season - hopefully SPEED will get its shit together and start giving us some coverage-= Can I get an AMEN to that???

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Knowing well the track they used (Ledenon), laps in 1'36ish are anyway pretty slow. A standard decent time for a 600 cc would be 1'30-1'32, and below 1'30 for a 1000 cc.
...but not at this ambient temperatures and on a track that has not seen lots of racing lately.
It's just amazing, they claim just the opposite of PS / Motorrad with the ZX being the slowest. Well, this may be due to the different track layout. Interesting to see that the hp figures are very close together, what astonishes me for the Honda. I wonder how the dyno couved compare, the top hp isn't very interesting.

·
...Is just so addicted to R1..
880 Posts
EXACTLY...

Jeurg- you hit it dead on- THe curve is going to be indicative of the most meaningful stuff- bound to be an exciting year indeed though.. that much is sure

·
190 rear section heaven !
1,995 Posts
lzcztq said:
Although the R1 is claimed as the winner, looking at the numbers it's not by much. Seems like the handling and the quicker revving motor is what just puts it over the top. MCN Quote "Acceleration is brutal - it not only matches the GSX-R1000, it's even quicker"
Numbers numbers numbers, guys don't get all lost in the BHP Battle...

Remeber that BHP goes out the window on the first set of twisties...

How many race tracks are made up out of only straights ??????

NONE !

·
WERA/CCS #217
5,974 Posts
blah blah blah..

so what now.. we all get a cookie because some magazine said the 04 R1 is best because it was 0:00:01 seconds faster around one race track than the gix1000

when will this end??

the point is.. we are all winners.. whether you like suzuki, yamaha, honda or kawasaki.. you cant lose if you buy any 04 literbike from any of them.. they are all great performers..

·
Wh0 DiS?!
3,843 Posts
I'm surprised to see the Kawasaki coming last? :dunno

The Honda has the fastest 1/4 and trap speed even by being a good 30 pound heavier. I good titanium full system and proper tuning will make it a killer straight line racer for squid steet races. :p

That Suzuki is a tough king to dethrone, it still managed to be 3rd for a soon to be obselete model. :bow

1 - 20 of 31 Posts