Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time I have ever been able to take my R1 down to Deals Gap area. Ride it a lot on my cruisers/F6B. Normally my bike is a track only set up but I haven’t had time for that in a couple years. So I said piss on it, making it street legal again just for this trip.

Damn, fun riding. Early mornings during the week and the whole place is almost deserted. Love the ride up 28 (north) from the bypass all along Fontana Dam area right up to the resort. Ride it pretty slow from the NC side to check conditions and just turn around and ride it back a little quicker. The ride down 129 into Robbinsville is another favorite of mine.

Definitely a different experience on a sport bike compared to a big bike. This area is perfect for sport bike riding. There’s no need to do stupid speeds to have fun here. Sure you push it speed wise a little but all the leaning and turning, accelerating and braking at a good pace is just so much fun. Felt very much a part of my machine while riding here.

Oh well, back to flat land Michigan and work this Monday morning. Good memories though. Can’t wait to get it back there.

Attachments

·
Nevermore
1,040 Posts
Been about 3 years since I've been. On another note its rare seeing a bone stock R1. Get some mods on that thing. :eek:

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha ha. It’s got all the right mods. You just can’t see them.

Öhlins rear shock
Traxxion front springs for my weight
Vortex rearsets
Adjustable levers
Gutted cat
Track baffles in stock cans
K&N filter
PCV fuel controller

Few other small things. It came with flush mount signals and rear integrated smoked tail light and all that usual nonsense. I used to like all that stuff but now I prefer to be noticed as much as possible. Actually bought all the stock lights and mirrors and stuff from members here and installed it all before going back to street riding.

Maybe wanting to be seen comes with age. Or crash experience (like being hit by a truck). Been there.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FWIW, my watsen design flushmounts were considerably brighter than those junk incandescent OEM bulbs.
That is true. I’ve seen those before. Still, the stock ones stick out so maybe more noticeable that way even though not as bright. Either way, I don’t mind the stock look anymore. And they’re way cheaper

·
THEONEGTIVR6
1,335 Posts
I’ve been here all week, surprised I never seen you. I’m at the gap resort, arrived last Wednesday 11th and leaving tomorrow evening which is Tuesday. Absolutely love it here and also love the rd to the Fontana dam. There’s one section on 28 right close to the Fontana that’s just flat out awesome. The parkway is also open all the way to pigeon forge now as well. The second newly paved section of the parkway is awesome. It’s all awesome and I don’t want to leave.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ve been here all week, surprised I never seen you. I’m at the gap resort, arrived last Wednesday 11th and leaving tomorrow evening which is Tuesday. Absolutely love it here and also love the rd to the Fontana dam. There’s one section on 28 right close to the Fontana that’s just flat out awesome. The parkway is also open all the way to pigeon forge now as well. The second newly paved section of the parkway is awesome. It’s all awesome and I don’t want to leave.
I was up there on Thursday morning, September 12th (when the pic was taken). Stopped at the resort and store for gas and a water. Started having an issue with my R1 on the ride back to Bryson City that morning and didn’t ride the R1 afterwards. I think it’s a thermostat issue-will have to detail the story in a separate thread in a few days.

I never saw another blue 04-06 R1 that day. Saw a newer red one (crossplane) and I think a black 04-06 but that was it.

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,016 Posts
FWIW, my watsen design flushmounts were considerably brighter than those junk incandescent OEM bulbs.
my thoughts exactly.. rocking the stock lollypops and wanting to be seeing,
dont exactly spur up a lot of confidence. they stick out the sides like a sore
thumb, guess thats what he's referring to. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts