Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· R1 Rider forever
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant recall what the valve's proper name is that is located inside the collector, but it is causing me a problem. The solonoid that controls it is malfunctioning and i was wondering if anyone out there could hook me up w/ a new one for a good price. Thanks.

· Registered
15,446 Posts
the collector valve is called the EXUP valve...just like the stickers on your bike...lol
...and the device you"re talking about is not a solenoid,it must be the servo-motor,as both are the only devices involved in that system.

please elaborate on your problem,i bet it could be easily fixed for free,although i"ve heard of the servo-motor failing,but that is rare.

· R1 Rider forever
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when i would go to ride, while idling and running on the interstate at constant speeds, everything was fine. However, when i would go to get on it, the bike would accelerate, but with hesitance and obviously not the normal rate of speed either. The bike would sort of lurch and let off, and lurch and let, and so on and so forth. although these movements were relatively smooth, they were quite noticable.

I called a local place that all my friends go to for their problems and he immediately linked the problems to the EXUP valve. So i took the tank off and stuff to get to the servo motor (i meant to say that other than solonoid in my original post.) I disconnected the two cables (following the mechanic's directions), and proceeded to turn the ignition key to on. the tach rose to 8500rpms and stopped, came back down and would do that every 10 seconds or so, indicating a problem. I took the cover off the servo motor exposing the gears. the motor would not turn very much. I got the specs and replaced the motor of fairly close specs w/ one from radio shack. i re-soldered the wired, and pluged it back in. the motor would now spin...somewhat. It would turn clockwise, then stop and got counter-clockwise, and then not move at all and the tach would immediately indicate a problem just as before. Im am now at a loss as to what to do. I dont have any money right now to take it in. Please help. If you need any more info, ill answer it. I tried to cover everything. Thanks

· Nightmare About to Come True
1,889 Posts
The tach did that because it knows the servo is missing and is letting you know there is a problem. The servo motor moves on ignition as a check and placement of the EXUP valve itself

· Registered
363 Posts
redneckR1rider said:
... I got the specs and replaced the motor of fairly close specs w/ one from radio shack. i re-soldered the wired, and pluged it back in. the motor would now spin...somewhat. It would turn clockwise, then stop and got counter-clockwise, and then not move at all and the tach would immediately indicate a problem just as before. Im am now at a loss as to what to do.
Red, the clockwise turn followed by a counterclockwise turn may be normal. There is not supposed to be much range of motion. I believe the "tach tango" means the electrical resistance of the motor is not right (check out http://www.samannasystems.com/faq.html ). Have you tried riding the bike with the new motor?

· R1 Rider forever
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh i rode the bike w/ the new motor....boy did that ever suck...........i experienced a huge loss of power, for whatever reason..........it didnt even begin to stand up in first, and i know all u R1 riders, that hammering it at four grand in first will instantaneously flip the bike if u arent careful. Needless to say, that pissed me off. :bash

· Registered
15,446 Posts
well,is there somebody with a 00-01 bike who you could get a hold of for aan ignition box swap?

the swap and a test drive would take about 15 minutes...that could be it,since the cables leading to the valve from the servo motor were the one you disconnected,and that leave or the box,or the wiring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.