Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
MAJOR SQIUD RIDER
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I wanted to see what kind of tires you guys prefer. I have dunlops on my bike right know which to me feel real slippery around corners. On my old bike I ran with Metsler M1's. They would stick to the road better around turns than the dunlops I have right known. Do you guys think I should go back to the Metzler M1 tire or just get use to them? :dunno

·
Drinking Colt 45's with Lando
6,077 Posts
Throw them both away and get some pilot powers' or diablo corsa's.:hellobye

·
Akrapovic xplane
6,024 Posts
Jeff said:
Throw them both away and get some pilot powers' or diablo corsa's.:hellobye
Good advice :thumbup

·
Beer me
3,889 Posts
If money is a factor, get the M1's. They're way better than the Dunflops, but not as good as the Power's. However, they are being discontinued so you can get them really cheap right now. Best buy for the buck, imo.

:beer

·
Drinking Colt 45's with Lando
6,077 Posts

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I'm going for powers next time too.

Not even gonna start the 180 vs. 190 debate here, but I'm on the fence about that :(

·
RUSH HOUR RIDERS
2,374 Posts

·
I want one of each
570 Posts
First off, what dunlops do you have? D220's will slide all over the place and misbehave. On the other hand, they WILL last over 10K miles if you want them to though.

Where is the fun in that?

I like dunlop 208's better than metzlers. I like bridgestones 014's better than Metzler. I like Pilot Powers better than Metzler.

I haven't tried the Pirelli's yet. Maybe next year. I still have a few powers to use up.

None of the tires work well unless you have a little heat in them before using them hard.

It goes without saying that some pavements are very condusive to sliding around.

When I was in roland wyo earlier this year I thought it was funny that this dude on a ZX-10 thought he HAD to have pilot powers because he thought they were the stickiest.

1st off there is not a corner within 200 miles of there and 2nd...the intersections they have are this really smooth and slick concrete stuff that any tire would slide all over the place on.

Poor chap.

·
member of the lunatic fringe
1,409 Posts
If money isn't an issue and depending on the type of riding you do you may want to consider the new Dunlops 209 GP. The rear is a 190/60 which I find is very sticky and turns in well. They run great on the track and aggressive twisties.

·
member of the lunatic fringe
1,409 Posts
freezincold said:
Is the 209 GP a dot approved race tire? Learn me. :thumbup
Thanks!
yes it is DOT approved race tire. Very good tire.

·
My bikes keep me sane.
5,272 Posts
Tires are like oil. Ask 20 different people--you'll get 17 different answers, with 14 of them swearing anything but the brand they use is junk.

You need to form your own opinion on tires. For one thing--jumping from one brand to another never gets you accustomed to a certain tire and its capabilities.

Different areas also have different riding surfaces. What works great in one place, on a certain bike, with a certain rider--may not work for another.

I've been using Dunlop 208's for a long time, and like the way they are. One reason is I've gotten so used to them. They will give you feedback by sliding a bit, rather than sticking to a point--then just giving out.(This is MY opinion, though).

Good luck.:thumbup

1 - 20 of 20 Posts