Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
What Does My No Plate Read??
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi to all

my front/rear sportec m1 tire are finishing soon, and i would like to give the Mich pilot power a try. but before i do that, anyone out there tried it? i'm not too sure on the Mich, but its review isn't that bad after all...

·
WHAT THE F*&$ OFFICER
202 Posts
My experience with Pilots here in the northwest are not good. Roads are cooler and even dropping psi down doesnt help. I would suggest sticking to the M1's or run a Dunlop

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
My R1 was delivered with Pilot Powers.
I didn't really chase them to their limits but first impression is superb.
Easy handling, very transparent.
Very good grip level (superior to the former Pilot Sport) and this allready from the second turn.
WTFO, what Pilot did you use? Pilot Race? This tire works only when hot, not really a good tire for road use.
I.m.h.o. the Pilot Power is a very good tire for the new R1, I don't have a comparision however.
Availability: I understood that in the U.S. the tires will be available in Summer only?! I (better: my dealer) might help out there if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I agree Martin, so far the Pilot Sport was my tire of choice! I was a Metzeler Man before but the Pilot Sport bought me!

·
Smoke Eatin Hoseman
229 Posts
I had the last genration Pilot Sports on my Busa and the tires were great!! I never doubted their grip and thought they lasted alot longer then Dunlops. I thought that they took a little while to warm up though.

I was thinking of trying the M1's after this set of Dunlops wears out(I am actually quite impressed with the 218's though).

·
WHAT THE F*&$ OFFICER
202 Posts
Juerg I have a set of Pilot Sports on the Honda 954 (wife's bike) and she has had problem with them sliding on the corners where the M1's on my Daytona stuck fine. Really like the Dunlops on my R1 though. May try a set of BT-012ss on the Honda or drop a set of M1s on. Pretty much around here folks either love them or hate them.:riding

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Was it a real slide or did she just think it slides? My personal observation as well as many mag comparisons surelly did not show a higher grip level on the Metzelers.
Now, there is conditions that may be in favour of one or the other tire, not all perform equaly under all circumstances...
And comparing two different tires on two different bikes is not possible anyway, different suspensions, mechanical grip, motor power/weight and last but not least the driver influence

·
WHAT THE F*&$ OFFICER
202 Posts
Not sure pavement was a bit damp etc I railed her on the inside. She has been on my daytona when I slid the tires so she knows what it feels like. She weighs in at 130 pounds have the spring backed all the way off and it still is not set up for her. Am going to do some work on getting things set for her weight on the bike have not had much time for that I just got back from Iraq and she is over there now so will have to wait. I am going to take the bike out and see what it does course it will be a down grade from the R1. :D :D

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
At least it is worth looking for other potential sources of the problem.
The Pilot Sport is known to have best grip in class in wet conditions specially. I am a rather fast driver and never felt unhappy with it.

·
Life is Fatal
587 Posts
WTFO said:
My experience with Pilots here in the northwest are not good. Roads are cooler and even dropping psi down doesnt help. I would suggest sticking to the M1's or run a Dunlop
Supposedly, the warm-up issues with the 'Sports was addressed with this new tire...

I'd like to hear it from street guys rather than paid Mich riders at the press intro though...

·
flipper
1,279 Posts
The pilot sports are ok on the road but not really up to the job on the track. They work really well up to a point and inspire great confidence and then bammmmmmmmm. Your on your arse and watching your bike slide down the track. This has happened to me twice now!
However the pilot sport cups are an excellent road tyre and a good track tyre and have never caused me problems on the road or track and I've even managed to run them hard on the road in the wet. I run sport cups during winter and stick on rennsports in the summer.
The pilot power are getting good reviews and it sounds as though they are made of a similar compound to the sport cups. I'll definitely give them a try next time I change my tyres.

·
WHAT THE F*&$ OFFICER
202 Posts
Well it appears likes in tires goes hand in hand with beer. It is what a person likes or is comfortable with. The experience I had with the mich tires was getting them to heat up to stick. Ran Bridgstone and like them slide perdictabily. Since swithching to the M1 on the daytona though have really enjoyed them. Will see how the D's wotk on the R1 but so far m VERY happy with the way the D 218's feel.:thumbup :corn :rant :riding :no :D :riding

·
What Does My No Plate Read??
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i'm not too sure whether or not it is available in s'pore. gotta check with the shops. so far the feedback given to me would be to stick to the diablos or the renns, cos they are the rubbers that really sticks. the pilot sports have very negative feedbacks, and they don't perform unless really warmed! i've got no special preferences, just wan to try it (i'd not change it yet!).

·
wanna B on the Track
1,150 Posts
kentisugu in sport rider did a little blurb on them.. he said the main problem with the mich pilot sports was their warm up time and now mich has addressed this.. they warm up much quicker but they turn in a little slower... which is what i noticed when going from the pilot sport to the M1... anyway it's in the new sport rider.. FYI

·
Registered
788 Posts
shawn_foo said:
i'm not too sure whether or not it is available in s'pore. gotta check with the shops. so far the feedback given to me would be to stick to the diablos or the renns, cos they are the rubbers that really sticks. the pilot sports have very negative feedbacks, and they don't perform unless really warmed! i've got no special preferences, just wan to try it (i'd not change it yet!).
if you are going for renns or supercorsas, be careful when riding in the wet. They are mostly for dry weather and the track.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts