Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i went to a new bike store and they have a 98' r1 for sale and it looks good and brung my father with me because he is going to have to help me get it, i am just worrying about my mother because she was mad when i frist my dad frist brought me that 97'supra twin turbo, and now a bike, and she says that i am 18 and don't need things like that , so every one wish me luck,( with my mother)!!!! :blah

·
Registered
778 Posts
speed kills said:
well i went to a new bike store and they have a 98' r1 for sale and it looks good and brung my father with me because he is going to have to help me get it, i am just worrying about my mother because she was mad when i frist my dad frist brought me that 97'supra twin turbo, and now a bike, and she says that i am 18 and don't need things like that , so every one wish me luck,( with my mother)!!!! :blah
YOUR MOM IS RIGHT!!! You may want to ask your Dad if he has a huge insurance policy out on you ....
:machinegu

·
Road Warrior
720 Posts
Bikes don't kill people - people kill people. If you're 18, you might consider getting a different bike to start(unless you've been riding streetbikes since the '80s). Does that bike shop sell really good riding gear? Buy some, wear it!

·
one liter asphalt eater
111 Posts
R1

Definitely not a first bike. I'm not here to get off on a rant, so I'll only stay on my soapbox for a while. Experience is one thing in life that makes us good, not only at riding motorcycles. But like everything else, we men decide that we are entitled to follow everything from A to K, and then skip right to R1....

Nobody here wants to scrape your ass off the pavement with a spatula. And yes we all realize that accidents can happen with any motorcycle, or any car for that matter. But comfort plays an enormous role in our abilities on the road...and without comfort, there is no confidence...without confidence, well, we'll probably have as much luck as a blind guy on acid playing scrabble.

Anyways, motorcycling is the most fantastic things in the world, hands down. Nobody on the forum would want your first experience to be your last, so go easy, stay out of the liquor, and please....ask anyone here for tips or advice....we're all here to look after our fellow riders.

:butt
Keep your ass off the pavement!

·
Hooligan
195 Posts
I have to agree here. I'm pretty fortunate that the sickest bike I could buy at 18 was a Honda 500. I got in enough trouble with that one. As I look back, I'm glad that there was no R1, Gixxer 1000 or even the 750 available to me.

Think "forgiving". An R1 will spank you if you let it. Get a fun bike that is not necessarily a fast bike. A Suzuki SV650 is a great one or the YZF600R if you want a Yamaha. If you want a real blast on a bike try the KTM Duke. That thing is a riot to ride and it corners like its on rails.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
The main thing to remember is that the second you think you are all that... you will be hitting the pavement. I know from expirence... I had my ZX7RR as a first bike. I was showing my neighbor how "cool it sounded when you get on it" and thats when I bit it for my first time.

Just keep a cool head and always remember that the R1 will pull your britches down and beat your little @ss if you get arrogant with it.

Thats my advice and my story... so take it as you will... & good luck with your mom.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.