Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Speed Demon
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that probably everyone here has had an encounter with a recruiter at least once in their life. Yes they can get annoying. But anyways to the point.

I enlisted about two months ago and they still call me 3 times a week and now the f'ers want me to go recruit people for them b4 i leave. I could of swarn the job I picked was Special Operations and not fricken Recruiter.

AND they try and tell me that the army is more important than the job I have now. Granted it may be.. however it is not paying the bills yet.

I just needed to vent. Starting to get pissed, but still don't regret signing up, just regret I have stupid ass recruiters.

·
Heh
738 Posts
Boy are you in for a rude awakening;) You are not going to be any kind of special ops until you first;
1) graduate from boot camp and
2) complete post boot camp combat training and specialty schooling

But in between all that and maybe even during your career as "Special Ops," you will most likely be directed to go on recruiting duty for a period of your enlistment. No, this won't be your new job, at least not permamant job, but you will be expected to offer the unique oppurtunity of joining the Army to other like-minded men in an attempt to get them to enlist which may help you get promoted. So after you become a real "soldier," recruiting will actually be an incentive to you for promotion and more pay, something you may chuckle at now, but just you wait and see young grasshopper. Your recruiters pushing you to recruit now is not bad, they are just using your influence to maybe assist them in persuading other young men like yourself to join so that they can get promoted and fullfill their qoutas and other requirements of being permanent recruiters.

Good luck!

·
Heh
738 Posts
Lemme add one more thing....Aside from probably doing some recruiting sometime during your enlistment, there's going to be a whole bunch of stuff that you will be required to do that have nothing to do with the specialty you chose (special ops). So um, you'll be much better off later on if you go into the military understanding that once you sign(ed) that contract, you are owned by the govenrment of the united states and you are at their complete disposal, 24/7! The needs of the Army are first, and your needs are 2nd. lol

·
Speed Demon
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I understand that, but that starts the day I ship out and they start paying me. Right now I have bills to pay and they are trying to get me to get off work to go help them fill their quotas. If I had the free time or didn't have any bills to pay I wouldn't mind, and I won't mind once I ship out because it is what I signed up for.

·
Heh
738 Posts
Well they can bug you all they want, but they can't force you to do anything until you get to bootcamp. So go ahead and brush them off, maybe they'll call your drill instructors and ask them to take really good care of you once you get to bootcamp lol.

Anyway, good luck and make the best of it! Thanks in advance for protecting the citizens (and illegal aliens) of the United States!

-LeXo

·
Speed Demon
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha.. greeeat

BTW.. where do you live in Valencia.. I actually live by Canyon but I just put Valencia cuz it sounds better than Santa Clarita or friggin Canyon Country...

·
too old to care
666 Posts
Congrats on becoming Gov't Property. I can say so , because I was myself for 8 years , and whatever " special ops " you signed up for , the first thing you'll have to do is earn the right to take the actual schooling. What's your MoS ?

·
Bulldogger
1,098 Posts
recruiters = used car dealers

they suck. i got shafted out of a $5,000 bonus i should have gotten and then the recruiter blew me off when i called him on it. if you get promised anything GET IT IN WRITING. they are shady mofos.

·
Speed Demon
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My MOS is 18X - Special Operations Recruit(I signed with the Army). And yes my bonus is in my contract. I signed for 6 years active and 2 years reserve but I will probably end up doing a full 20 of reserves just to get the whole retirement deal.

·
Heh
738 Posts
KaotikVisions: Actually I live in Granada Hills now, I haven't updated any of my personal info hehe. But yea I gew up in Canyon Country / Sand Canyon area which is really nice but the name makes it sounds like trash.

LIke I said, good luck and have fun.

-LeXo

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
KaotikVisions said:
..... And yes my bonus is in my contract.....
That does not matter at all. i'll bet you your bonus, that it is dependent on two things.
1. Time in service when you receive it.
2. Actual Pay Grade when you receive it.
Trust me, i was in for a $15,000 bonus for completeing the Nuclear Power Program in the Navy. The real bonus was more like $3500.

They compute the maximum bonus possible and then put that in the contract. Don't beleive me? Go ask your recruiter and watch him stumble and fall all over his tongue.

·
INVICTUS
14,902 Posts
Holy crap!!! They tell people they can be recruited for special ops now??? Dude I hope to god for your sake this is'nt a special new name for infantry. Yes , though lord knows recruiters are more like used car salesman than anything else. They'll feed you a line of complete crap. And you won't know any better until you're screwed. I'd really like to know what spec ops is though. All the operators I know are infantryman first. From what I know of the Army you start at basic infantry, then you go to jump school. From there ranger school. If you're good enough the green meanies will allow you to come test. And if you're a really good ranger and have nads of steel and can keep a secret the delta boys will be knockin on your door for a chat. 1 in 100 makes it through SF selection. And there's probably less than 100 delta operators alive past and present. But you could be a friggin typist for the 101st and be considered special ops so make sure you re check that contract. In the marine's Spec ops used to be , Force Recon , Marine Security Forces , Anglico, Unit level recon and Scout snipers. Selectees were usually comm guys , EOD and primarily infantryman. Not that anyone could'nt try out but the likelyhood of being selected was'nt that great if you were'nt from an infantry background. Even when I was MSG ( Embassy program) the majority of the guys I worked with were from combat arms. It took a lot for me to prove myself to them since I was from the Air wing ( Aviation Mech ) But in the end I found myself more of a happy camper practicing dynamic entry , rappelling and being a troop, than I did doing a highpower turn on the ramp.

( forgot about the FAST teams ........Fleet anti terror teams )

·
INVICTUS
14,902 Posts
Awwww damn! Dude you're an 18x. This does'nt guarantee you selection only the opportunity to see if you can make it. You're gonna be infantry first. Then you'll go on to Jump School like I said then you go on to the "Q" at Camp Rowe. This is no walk in the park. I suggest you train to train some and then train some more. Interesting note on Camp Rowe. Just so you have some background when you get there. It's named after a really great man Nicholas "Nick" Rowe. Callsign "Baseball" , he won the MOH in Vietnam. He was the JUSMAG commander and attache' when I was at the Embassy in Manila. He was assasinated by a New Peoples Army "SPARROW" hit team in 1989. He was absolutely the coolest colonel I've ever met in my life. I was on post when his driver called in that they were under attack. My callsign was "Empire Base" . Nick also started the Sere program which you'll also have to complete if you make it through everything else. Good luck and start running now with a 50lb ruck and work your way up from there. Also go and buy the book "Bravo two zero." true story . It may help you out a bit on the SF mind set. (even though it's about the SAS.)

·
relaxing
14,125 Posts
Solidus said:
Awwww damn! Dude you're an 18x. This does'nt guarantee you selection only the opportunity to see if you can make it. You're gonna be infantry first. Then you'll go on to Jump School like I said then you go on to the "Q" at Camp Rowe. This is no walk in the park. I suggest you train to train some and then train some more. Interesting note on Camp Rowe. Just so you have some background when you get there. It's named after a really great man Nicholas "Nick" Rowe. Callsign "Baseball" , he won the MOH in Vietnam. He was the JUSMAG commander and attache' when I was at the Embassy in Manila. He was assasinated by a New Peoples Army "SPARROW" hit team in 1989. He was absolutely the coolest colonel I've ever met in my life. I was on post when his driver called in that they were under attack. My callsign was "Empire Base" . Nick also started the Sere program which you'll also have to complete if you make it through everything else. Good luck and start running now with a 50lb ruck and work your way up from there. Also go and buy the book "Bravo two zero." true story . It may help you out a bit on the SF mind set. (even though it's about the SAS.)
Well, you see, there was this one time at band camp right.... :crash
Ah dam, my bad, wrong thread.

·
Speed Demon
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
You guys must think I'm totally ignorent don't you. Don't you think I already know that it is not guaranteed. It is only guaranteed IF I pass all the training. I already know all of this I'm not ****in stupid.

My MOS is 18X which like I said is Special Operations recruit, not some fancy name for infantry. The only thing that is guaranteed is my spot in the classes as long as I PASS everything that I need to. Solidus I totally agree with everything you have said. My first AIT school on my contract is infantry school, then after that it's airborne school, then primary leadership development course, then basic NCO course, SF preparatory course, and then SF assessment and selection. If I get through the SFAS then I will go to the Q course. And you are right, if I do not pass all of my training, my MOS will change to 11B Infantry. All of this I already know. Either way I am really excited about this as it is something I have always wanted to do. Besides Either federal or local law enforcment. Most of my family are either cops or have been in the military.

And as a 18X I automatically ship out as an E-3 with out having to recruit someone or do any of that other pre-boot camp stuff the other DEPs have to do in order to be an E-3. It says I am a E-3 on my DEP ID card and in my contract.

As to the remarks about the bonus.. I don't really care if I get it or not, $8k is what it says on there. If I don't get it, fine. If you join the military for the money, then you shouldn't join at all in my opinion cuz it's not going to make you rich.

Solidus, also thanks for the book reconmendation. I'll be sure to pick it up and check it out. As for starting to train now. I am currently running about 6 miles a day, 3 in the morning and 3 at night. I also lift weights 3 times a week(Mon. Wed. Fri.). Push ups and Sit ups every morning and night. As for the ruck marches, I need to add that somewhere to my routine. I have until March 3rd, 2004 to get into better shap than I already am.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts