Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered Adrenaline Junkie
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1st question, who's bike is this (I know I've seen it on someones avatar/sig)...? Do you have a finacial interests in the EBAY-seller or their product (these "modded" rotors), or were you just one of his customers...? Review on these rotors...? :dunno

2nd question, does anyone else have these rotors and what are your opinions on them... They are OEM rotors that have (probably) been water-jet/laser cut to look like Galfers or Braking wave rotors. They're $500 for all 3, with a $125 refund for your stock/mint rotors... Thats $375 for all 3... :sneaky

Everyone else, thoughts and opinions plz...

EBAY LINKY

Discuss...

·
Over doing it
702 Posts
Looks dangerous to me. I'd probably bite on the rear disk as its been about 20 years since I've used a rear brake but there is no way in hell I'd put my life in some fly-by-night machinist's hands. There is a reason why you'll never find these for sale in a real store.

·
Sup
17,456 Posts
Looks dangerous to me. I'd probably bite on the rear disk as its been about 20 years since I've used a rear brake but there is no way in hell I'd put my life in some fly-by-night machinist's hands. There is a reason why you'll never find these for sale in a real store.
Word.

·
Sup
17,456 Posts
1st question, who's bike is this (I know I've seen it on someones avatar/sig)...? Do you have a finacial interests in the EBAY-seller or their product (these "modded" rotors), or were you just one of his customers...? Review on these rotors...? :dunno

2nd question, does anyone else have these rotors and what are your opinions on them... They are OEM rotors that have (probably) been water-jet/laser cut to look like Galfers or Braking wave rotors. They're $500 for all 3, with a $125 refund for your stock/mint rotors... Thats $375 for all 3... :sneaky

Everyone else, thoughts and opinions plz...

EBAY LINKY

Discuss...

Wow that is some NASTY exhaust! Only fits dragbikes.

·
No R1 I have R6
35 Posts
If your looking at those rotors........

You might as well buy the China/Hong Kong Galfer-Braking Replicas they look exactly like Galfer or Braking Rotors and for front & rear cost around 270 before shipping.

I know that Braking came out with the design and sold it to Galfer. Braking Rotors are at all the main shops here in Japan and there cheaper then Galfers and there the same thing search ebay for Braking Rotors

·
The former Stop Doc
962 Posts
If your looking at those rotors........

You might as well buy the China/Hong Kong Galfer-Braking Replicas they look exactly like Galfer or Braking Rotors and for front & rear cost around 270 before shipping.

I know that Braking came out with the design and sold it to Galfer. Braking Rotors are at all the main shops here in Japan and there cheaper then Galfers and there the same thing search ebay for Braking Rotors
Key word.."looks Like". Oh and your Braking/ Galfer info is seriously wrong.

·
Lean wit' it, Rock wit' it
267 Posts
Key word.."looks Like". Oh and your Braking/ Galfer info is seriously wrong.
So can you give us the correct info ,they do have similar designs(not to take food off your table of course...being a Galfer employee:sing:)? I've been looking to do the Galfer brake upgrade as my next mod and when i saw these i wondered the same thing as far as the comparison of the two.

·
No R1 I have R6
35 Posts
Well here is the correct info from one of your old post:fact

Galfer holds the Patent rights and commercial rights to the Wave rotor design, engineering and technology. Braking, is granted a license to use the technology in their production units. We both use similar materials, our center carriers are both black anodized. However, we include an extra step of temp treating our rotors to make sure they are up for the challenge of producing excellent friction, modulation and control under all braking conditions. Both units will be an improvement over stock regardless.

So basically buy whichever one you can get cheaper whether Galfer or Braking Rotors. :)

·
Local Pavement Ripper
1,669 Posts
I would not waste my money on someone machining my rotors. That is way too much money considering what you could get the real thing for if you're patient.

·
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So no-one knows the owner of that black R1 with the Brocks exhaust (to get his story/opinion)...?

And so far, I get the feeling no-one has SOLID evidence these "machined" rotors are sub-par units...? Meaning, has anyone heard of these rotors failing...?

:dunno

·
yield
17,823 Posts
Do the math. Your brakes guy...?!
You think flossing that hard will impress other that much more.

Listen to Sergio or better yet by some purposeful, tested, track/street proven product like Galfer and dont believe the hype.

Lastly look at doods bike... squid rotors to match his pretty sticker package.

·
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Meh, I guess... Motomummy has 1 set of 04-05/Galfer-fronts "on sale" right now for $460...

Might have to wait till Xmas though, they'll probably be gone quick (reads "before I can buy them, regardless when")...

:bandit

·
No R1 I have R6
35 Posts
Well FishOuttaWater just buy either Galfer or Braking Rotors period !

What I think everyone is trying to say is that they wouldn't buy the machined rotors because no one trust the quality. Look at it like this your doing 130 MPH on the track with these machined rotors and one of them crack and then split halfway through the rotor. Your screwed and so is the bike, just to save a lil when you could have paid 100.00 more bucks and got Braking or Galfer Rotors.

I know Braking is a good product and Galfer is too there trusted names. Braking is a bigger name here in Japan but Galfer is big in the U.S.

·
Over doing it
702 Posts
I get the feeling no-one has SOLID evidence these "machined" rotors are sub-par units...?
I don't think the requirement of proving quality falls on the shoulders of the consumer. If these are a quality product let the maker provide the "proof" that they are safe.

I always feel better about a product when I know that if it fails and hurts me I will have someone to sue that has some money and a reputation to uphold. Ebay dealers carry no such liability protection. Its buy at your own risk.

·
1 Sick Individual
3,092 Posts
Jimmy Chance
Quality Machine Co
600 W Lathrop Ave
Savannah, Ga 31415
912-232-5680 office
www.qualitymachineco.com

They are not a hack machinist.. He has done work for me on several rotors and several bikes. Great work, been in the biz for years, does thousands of racers rotors and has cheep and quick turn around times. If you are considering this, Id say call them and see what up...

I will tell you he will do the front on street bikes and they are top notch work... but he advises against it on a race bike.

Secondly I talked to the Hong Kong Ebay fella who also says those rotors are mostly for looks and not to be installed on race bikes.

Jimmy Chance saves tons of weight on his cuts and the quality is in tact. On my rear rotors alone he saved near half the weight off and works like it did stock...

Here is a link to lots of his work.... Also a pic of my rear rotor he cut for me on my recent race bike.

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=117260&highlight=rotors

Attachments

·
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jimmy Chance
Quality Machine Co
600 W Lathrop Ave
Savannah, Ga 31415
912-232-5680 office
www.qualitymachineco.com

They are not a hack machinist.. He has done work for me on several rotors and several bikes. Great work, been in the biz for years, does thousands of racers rotors and has cheep and quick turn around times. If you are considering this, Id say call them and see what up...

I will tell you he will do the front on street bikes and they are top notch work... but he advises against it on a race bike.

Secondly I talked to the Hong Kong Ebay fella who also says those rotors are mostly for looks and not to be installed on race bikes.

Jimmy Chance saves tons of weight on his cuts and the quality is in tact. On my rear rotors alone he saved near half the weight off and works like it did stock...

Here is a link to lots of his work.... Also a pic of my rear rotor he cut for me on my recent race bike.

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=117260&highlight=rotors
So is this the same guy selling the rotors I linked and posted pics of...? :confused: Or are you just posting up a quality alternative to buying Galfer/Braking waves...? Thanx either way...

·
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
No you send him your OEM rotors and he cuts them and sends them back.
Looks like he does good work... :fact

I'm still gonna look around... The Ebay rotors look like they have less material taken off vs. Mr. Chances units (pictured above)...

:sneaky

i'de say look around for some galfers or braking... i got a full set (front and rear) of braking floating rotos with less than 1000 miles on them for 250 shipped.
:eek: You might as well sell them to me now for $200... They're used even more now I imagine... :sneaky

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.