Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Self Appointed
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anybody owns/has owned a "modular" helmet. The kind that is a full face helmet but you just "touch a button" and it opens up to open face. Thanks for the advice / suggestions / reviews in advance. :riding

Attachments

·
Bite my shinny metal ass!
364 Posts
Yea .... I have a Nolan. I love it. It's a little louder but not too much. It's great on hot days. And mine has a buckle which is the best feature. Don't know how they are in a crash( and hopefully won't find out) but I've heard good things.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Dont do it,my buddy had one not sure of the brand but it wasn't a cheapie.He was in a snowmobile accident i remeber he said that the front popped open on impact.

·
For the Love of.........Riding
6,718 Posts
Not nearly as protective but cool. I had one when I had Snowmobiles.

Not Snell approved either....I think

·
Beating a dead horse.
4,015 Posts
yeah, I have a Bombardier mod helmet. its pretty nice

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have a Bombardier mod helmet as well. I love the helmet. I believe it is DOT and SNELL approved but I am not 100% sure. The Bombardier helmet is really made by Lazer.... but my personal opinion is.... the Bombardier helmet is a much nicer helmet then any other Lazer I have seen. I am probably buying an Arai helmet though for my bike.

·
6,718 Posts
The Bombardier modular helmet is not SNELL approved for sure. Ihad one great lid but no Snell

·
Registered
213 Posts
your right. I just looked at mine and its only DOT approved. Just wondering... what exactly is the difference between DOT and SNELL?

·
Cheating death in the "D"
21,086 Posts
gtg727g said:
I was just wondering if anybody owns/has owned a "modular" helmet. The kind that is a full face helmet but you just "touch a button" and it opens up to open face. Thanks for the advice / suggestions / reviews in advance. :riding
I've toyed with the idea as well, but the Roof "Boxer" model :yesnod

Attachments

·
6,718 Posts
Pur Pony1 said:
your right. I just looked at mine and its only DOT approved. Just wondering... what exactly is the difference between DOT and SNELL?
Snell is a much higher rating thats about all I know as far as details. Think of it this way you need Snell on race tracks only DOT is required on the street.

I'll take Race track safety over D.O.T

DOT is on some(padded) Skull caps > How safe can it be?

·
flat, flatter, crash...
147 Posts
the modular helmet story is quite easy:

first category: mod helmets that passed the european safety tests in the same class as 'jet-helmets' (meaning the locks or oscilating bolts snap in case of a heavy crash)

*SHOEI synchrotechII: pretty expensive but nice and light. interior isn't washable but is very comfortable. opening system takes some getting used to, it's push and pull at the same time.

*HJC: kind of a Shoei copy... a bit heavier, but you get more space for your chin. interior is comfortable. easy opening, but could get fragile after a while (it's a plastic lever...) price/quality wise a very good helmet. has a lot of 'pull-back' when you drive with the helmet open though

*LAZER: one word: HEAVY, very heavy but pretty solid. very good interior but the morpho system 'gives' itself very much so be sure to buy it really tight.

CABERG: best look, but very unpractical and heavy (less than the lazer though) the built in sunscreen is too close to the eyes and rests on your nose...

NOLAN: good helmets but a royal pain in the #ss to get spares.

VEMAR: pretty much the same thing as the HJC but less quality build...

ROOF boxer: great looks but don't count on any form of protection...

Second category: helmets that passed the same security tests as full-face helmets

*SCHUBERT concept C1: great helmet, and very quiet. carbon reinforced with a steel bar to secure integrity in case of a nasty crash. washable inners. Good sunscreen. easy and solid opening, using only the left hand and without obstructing the line of sight. downside of all this is of course the price... but i know stores where they come cheaper than the shoei. IMO it looks awful.

*SCHUBERT concept C2: evolution of the C1, generates even less noise at speed (86 dB @ 60mph) and has a more ergonimic shape and finish. it looks better than the C1 as well. will be available by may 2004

HTH,
J.S.

·
Canadian Drinking Team
1,771 Posts
snell vs dot ratings. Impact criteria - DOT allows a 400g peak to transfer to the skull where as Snell allows for only 300g's. Arai goes above and beyond both and only allows around 200g's (I forget the exact number).
Also, DOT is based on the honor system... its up to the manufacturer of the helment to say whether there helmet is DOT or not... apparently they don't even need proof of testing. Manufacturers pay for there Snell ratings.
Quote: "Manufacturers apply for and earn Snell certification because they care about quality. These are the very manufacturers for whom the honor system works. A Snell sticker is your best assurance that the helmet meets both Snell and DOT. Without the Snell sticker, it's purely a gamble that the helmet meets any standard at all."

Hope this clears things up for some. :hellobye

·
Cheating death in the "D"
21,086 Posts
Justin Sane said:
the modular helmet story is quite easy:

first category: mod helmets that passed the european safety tests in the same class as 'jet-helmets' (meaning the locks or oscilating bolts snap in case of a heavy crash)

ROOF boxer: great looks but don't count on any form of protection...

HTH,
J.S.
Well . . . so much for that hair brained idea :lol

·
My R1 need flaps, it flies !
375 Posts
How do you like this one? It's a Schuberth variation with additional protection...

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts