Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
More gas!
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With 2007 coming to a close, I'm curious to see what was the most profound thing people learnt in terms of their riding this year. Is there a particular experience that stands out? Did anyone have an "ah ha" moment in their riding? What was it?

I learnt that AMA racers are FAST! It was such a thrill to be riding in a pack of such talented riders and I had a lot of fun. I also learnt that I can get on the throttle exiting corners a LOT harder than I ever thought. It's humbling to be ripping through a corner and be passed within inches by Josh Hayes. I also learnt that I crash a lot more when I push myself against racers of such a high caliber. Ouch!

Happy Holidays!!!

Misti

·
I lead...you follow...
1,845 Posts
I learned that if it is your first trip to Deal's gap, make sure to bring a change of shorts. I had a couple "ass pucker" moments there. Definately not even close to Florida roads.

Also, if there is an LEO behind you coming out of Robbinsville, just look around like a tourist taking all the wonderful scenery and he will pass you up in a few minutes time.

ooOOOoo...just notice I am over 100 posts.. :flex:

·
Premium Member
23,060 Posts
I learned that when you excede the traction limit of a front tire, things go bad quick

·
Malum Prohibitum
1,287 Posts
I learned that you should never pass out drunk in a 20' RV with 16 other people.
... and that is "riding" related how? ... and when do we get the Paul Harvy version?

·
I Ride Alone.
2,491 Posts
I learned that massive amounts of rear brake tends to make you very nervous for a period of time.

·
Malum Prohibitum
1,287 Posts
With 2007 coming to a close, I'm curious to see what was the most profound thing people learnt in terms of their riding this year. Is there a particular experience that stands out? Did anyone have an "ah ha" moment in their riding? What was it?

I learned never to go on a "spirited" back roads ride with a brand new (only been riding for 3 weeks) friend on a ZX-14. Four curves into the ride we were picking him up out of a ditch. ... I still blame myself for that one.

... and Mich. PP's quality has gone to shyte. I'm going with Pireli next season.

·
The Intern
2,404 Posts
I learned that if you want to paint your own bike, better have a lot of patience and a spouse who will put up with hours of tedious work.
Sonofabitsh, it is taking a long time to get this finalized. So far, I just finished the front fender completely. Still have: upper, lower, tank, tail. Going back into the garage now.

·
Forum Moderator
32,430 Posts
I learned that you should never pass out drunk in a 20' RV with 16 other people.

LOL...ouch! Im sure there is a good story to go along with that.

·
No doot aboot it eh?
1,538 Posts
I learned that moving your bike around in the garage while wearing slippery slippers can give you quite a scare....

·
Klaus Von Slowpoke
6,153 Posts
I learned that:
Even if it's a clear, sunny day,
and the road is dry and visibility is excellent,
and you are on a familiar road and going slower than you ever have before,
some stupid m*therf*cker will still choose a blind curve
to turn left in front of you
even if it's a two-lane mountain road.

I also learned that wearing full leathers is a good choice,
knees heal slowly,
and insurance companies suck.

Happy Holidays!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
45,418 Posts

I learnt that AMA racers are FAST! It was such a thrill to be riding in a pack of such talented riders and I had a lot of fun. I also learnt that I can get on the throttle exiting corners a LOT harder than I ever thought. It's humbling to be ripping through a corner and be passed within inches by Josh Hayes. I also learnt that I crash a lot more when I push myself against racers of such a high caliber. Ouch!

Happy Holidays!!!

Misti
I learned that when you excede the traction limit of a front tire, things go bad quick
I learned that exceeding the lean angle of the front tire results in near-identical catastrophe as exceeding the traction limit. What's worse is the fact it happened 2 sessions AFTER working with you on the Lean Bike at Barber. :cryin

·
Super Moderator
11,885 Posts
I learned to trust my tires more and the government less.

·
AK Road Racer
646 Posts
i learned to do gainers while in a wheelie at 60mph, then jump right back on the seat after skitching while doing the splits.

i also learned to backflip my bike over curbs. wheee. :flex:

·
Yep got the Bog Rip ONE
98 Posts
I realized even after loosing my Brother to the Dragon.The addiction of Riding/Track days is in my DNA. I will make another trip down to say a proper goodbye to Kevin.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.