Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Thread killer...
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for the link! Do you have an idea what a medic assist does??
Medic assist carry's the stretcher... It is the least experience needed position on the track. All you need to do is speak enough English to understand directions from the Medic, and be able to carry half of a 80-150 pound rider through a gravel trap. I did that my first year and it was a lot of fun!

Curious as well, i'll email them tonight. I'm a first responder, IFAK instructor as well as CPR/CFAS/AED instructor for my agency, I think this would be a blast.
You could likely get a paid position as a corner Medic. You still get all the free swag/parking/etc. and paid. All you really need to be able to do is evaluate a downed rider and get him from the track to the ambulance which is usually less than 100 yards.

·
9,238 Posts
Thanks for the link! Do you have an idea what a medic assist does??
Medic assist carry's the stretcher... It is the least experience needed position on the track. All you need to do is speak enough English to understand directions from the Medic, and be able to carry half of a 80-150 pound rider through a gravel trap. I did that my first year and it was a lot of fun!

Curious as well, i'll email them tonight. I'm a first responder, IFAK instructor as well as CPR/CFAS/AED instructor for my agency, I think this would be a blast.
You could likely get a paid position as a corner Medic. You still get all the free swag/parking/etc. and paid. All you really need to be able to do is evaluate a downed rider and get him from the track to the ambulance which is usually less than 100 yards.
I didn't see a corner medic.......nurse and worked a nurse station at a track event. Hmmm I may have to apply for that-meaning I'm going to COTA lol!

·
Thread killer...
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
I think COTA contracts with local EMS services for the corner medics, but they are always short and scrounging for people to fill in. That goes for just about all the positions at MotoGP. People always start out meaning well, but come Saturday (day 2) we are usually short. It was really bad in 2015 when the weather sucked.

·
Thread killer...
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I stay at my house :p but I would think that any of the cities around Austin are going to be cheaper... Round Rock, Hutto, Pflugerville, Bastrop, Elgin, San Marcos... I think a lot of hotel sites will let you enter a radius. Just stay within 30 miles or so and you should be fine.

·
Cabin Fever!
252 Posts
I signed up for this position as well, I am an RN so I hope I have a good shot... would love a free ride trackside for the race!

·
Thread killer...
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I am... Corner working all four days. I will be out at COTA next week at the MotoAmerica tire test as well.

·
9,238 Posts
Did anyone that volunteer get a confirmation email?? I got one today for the Medic Assist volunteer.

And YZF Rich, is the track going to be "hot" on Thursday because I volunteered for Thursday and Friday.

And basically I'll be the one assisting getting the riders off the track correct??? Just transporting or actually helping medically?

·
Cabin Fever!
252 Posts
Did anyone that volunteer get a confirmation email?? I got one today for the Medic Assist volunteer.

And YZF Rich, is the track going to be "hot" on Thursday because I volunteered for Thursday and Friday.

And basically I'll be the one assisting getting the riders off the track correct??? Just transporting or actually helping medically?
yes, I got a confirmation email as well. the instructions say basically we will evaluate the rider and call out a medical code depending on the level of injury if any. if the code necessitates a red flag the rider is not to be moved... other codes mean we log roll them onto a stretcher and get them to the transport team and out of harms way.

I am now having a dilemma... whether to fly down or ride it... 1100 miles one way on a R1? hmmm.....

·
Cabin Fever!
252 Posts

Thursday is a training day... Friday is practice and will be a hot track...

yes, I got a confirmation email as well. the instructions say basically we will evaluate the rider and call out a medical code depending on the level of injury if any. if the code necessitates a red flag the rider is not to be moved... other codes mean we log roll them onto a stretcher and get them to the transport team and out of harms way.

I am now having a dilemma... whether to fly down or ride it... 1100 miles one way on a R1? hmmm.....

·
Thread killer...
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

The track will be hot Thursday for MotoAmerica most of the day, but they will be running a much smaller track marshal group.

Medic assists carry the stretcher to the ambulance. There is no medical treatment or evaluation unless you are the actual medic and even then the object is to get the rider transported (either to the pits or to the medical center). It is very unlikely you will touch a rider.

·
Thread killer...
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Thursday MotoAmerica track schedule... Keep in mind they had about 15 track marshals at the tire test (for the entire track), so you probably won't be doing a lot if you do show up for Thursday. To give you an idea, MotoGP will have more track marshals than that in one corner. You can see a lot of stuff as the teams are setting up on Thursday and get a feel for where everything is.

11:15 a.m. Clear the Course for Track Tests
11:30 a.m.-2:50 p.m. Track Tests and MotoAmerica Practice Sessions

·
9,238 Posts
Got my tentative schedule for Friday working turn 7.

Where is everyone else working?

And what time are you guys planning to attend the training, the 11am or 6pm?

I'm driving from San Antonio both days but may end up staying Thursday and Friday, I made hotel reservations for Saturday last month,

·
Cabin Fever!
252 Posts
I'm now facing a tough decision for this weekend! I found a couple things. First off, RPM is having a track day this same weekend and its soo much closer, and I can take my son and hit up the Omaha zoo. So I pretty much decided I was going to cancel going to COTA for the MotoGP.... till I got my assignment. I am scheduled to be on turn 1 the entire weekend. That's a pretty hot spot for falls and riders needing assistance...opinions?:confused:

·
9,238 Posts
I'm now facing a tough decision for this weekend! I found a couple things. First off, RPM is having a track day this same weekend and its soo much closer, and I can take my son and hit up the Omaha zoo. So I pretty much decided I was going to cancel going to COTA for the MotoGP.... till I got my assignment. I am scheduled to be on turn 1 the entire weekend. That's a pretty hot spot for falls and riders needing assistance...opinions?
Have you been to MotoGP at COTA??

are you guys getting together for dinner at all between Thursday and Sunday night ? I fly in on Thursday and leave Monday morning
Gals too :p

I was wondering the same thing. Last year I met up with a few members from the forum.

I'll be there Thursday-Sunday :)

·
Thread killer...
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I'm now facing a tough decision for this weekend! I found a couple things. First off, RPM is having a track day this same weekend and its soo much closer, and I can take my son and hit up the Omaha zoo. So I pretty much decided I was going to cancel going to COTA for the MotoGP.... till I got my assignment. I am scheduled to be on turn 1 the entire weekend. That's a pretty hot spot for falls and riders needing assistance...opinions?:confused:

Which turn 1 station? From what I have seen 1A is busier than 1 with the exception of the Pedrosa/Dovi incident last year. Either station should be good, especially at the start of each race.

You can do a track day anytime...

21 - 40 of 50 Posts
About this Discussion
49 Replies
14 Participants
YZF-Rich
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing