Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
I am the vanilla gorilla!
18,121 Posts
I'm arguing with them on the price.....keep thinking if I wait them out I might get a premium spot on the backstretch for a discount if I wait. If not the dry camping is like 220 for the weekend.

·
Thread killer...
2,552 Posts
Looks like lot "N". I live less than 15 mins away but I thought it might be fun to camp out and party for the weekend in the RV, the lot is right behind turns 3,4,5. Was thinking of rolling out the smoker, cook some good food in between races.

That does sound fun! If I remember correctly, 3-4-5 is on a slope no? That is the side of the track I have the least experience with. I have walked from 11 to 1 at least a couple of dozen times, but I have been on that side maybe 2-3 times at most. I seem to remember a pond over there or something, but a lot of up and down hills. If the weather is good I think it would be fun.

·
My r1 is the (o)(o)
448 Posts
I will be attending. My first MGP event. Coming from VA. I bought GA and the paddock pass. Anyone have any experience with the paddock pass?

·
Thread killer...
2,552 Posts
I will be attending. My first MGP event. Coming from VA. I bought GA and the paddock pass. Anyone have any experience with the paddock pass?
I am 63% sure the paddock pass will be full access to behind the garages. There is an alleyway between the garages and the container/pods that they use for housing some of the riders. You basically might get lucky and see the riders as they cross over. I am guessing at some point you will get access to the pit lane, probably when the teams are all idle. It will be roped off and you wont get to close, but close enough to get good pics with a decent camera. Depending on how persistent you are, eventually you might get into the garages or similar, especially if you know someone. MotoGP is very different from F1. The security is good, but not hard core like F1 so persistence will get you into places you didn't think were possible. It just depends on if you have that kind of patience and timing helps. Don't be afraid to ask for access to areas you think are off limits. Sometimes you get lucky and you never know unless you ask.

The pic of me next to Rossi's bike for instance was just dumb luck. They were putting the covers on the M1's to load them up and I just happened to be walking down pit lane after the race. It was completely deserted except the team crews loading. Got lots of great pics and the teams were very receptive. Of course the riders were all long gone by then and the Moto2 + 3 guys were already containerized and ready for shipping.

·
My r1 is the (o)(o)
448 Posts
I am 63% sure the paddock pass will be full access to behind the garages. There is an alleyway between the garages and the container/pods that they use for housing some of the riders. You basically might get lucky and see the riders as they cross over. I am guessing at some point you will get access to the pit lane, probably when the teams are all idle. It will be roped off and you wont get to close, but close enough to get good pics with a decent camera. Depending on how persistent you are, eventually you might get into the garages or similar, especially if you know someone. MotoGP is very different from F1. The security is good, but not hard core like F1 so persistence will get you into places you didn't think were possible. It just depends on if you have that kind of patience and timing helps. Don't be afraid to ask for access to areas you think are off limits. Sometimes you get lucky and you never know unless you ask.

The pic of me next to Rossi's bike for instance was just dumb luck. They were putting the covers on the M1's to load them up and I just happened to be walking down pit lane after the race. It was completely deserted except the team crews loading. Got lots of great pics and the teams were very receptive. Of course the riders were all long gone by then and the Moto2 + 3 guys were already containerized and ready for shipping.
Thanks for great info. Thats pretty much what I have been looking for. Ill be reppin my r1-forum shirts most of the wkd so hopefully I run into you guys

·
Registered
9,114 Posts

The front of the pits is closed to special motogp VIP access, motogp experience, etc. paddock just gives you from behind the garages to in front of the containers. Yah, if you stay in there long enough you can see some riders cross over, but that is it. If you stay in the pits before/after practice you can see them come/go, etc. Garages are off limits unless you know someone, etc.

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Yeah that about sums it up... Replaced my sliders, so let's try to forget about that... :p

Ironically I am stationed right across the track at Alpha this year to remind me of my error...
I can't say too much. I drove off track at T8 last time I had the car at cota a few months back. Ooops

·
Thread killer...
2,552 Posts
Kind of mixed feeling about being at Alpha this year. 15 is my corner, but at least I will get to see the start/finish up close an personal this year. Plus pit access should be excellent assuming I can get across the track when it is cold between sessions.

·
I miss my R1
2,975 Posts
And speaking of paddock passes... not sure about COTA, but the biggest waste of money from my Indy trip last fall was buying a paddock pass.

You can either watch the bikes on the track or possibly see someone for half a second as they go from one area to another on a scooter (caught a quick glimpse of Aleix Espargaro going to the team office, and a quick glimpse of one of the Moto3 guys going to the Shoei trailer.
Saw Dovi and Ianone walking on a 2nd floor balcony/walkway.

Thrilling. Lol. Would have much rather seen Moto2 FP3 :p

I've heard/seen many people who said they got all sorts of autographs in the paddock, but I didn't see anything remotely like that during my excursion into the paddocks.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts
About this Discussion
92 Replies
21 Participants
rexmitchell
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing