Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
15,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried one of these system's? There from http://www.cycletrak.com/ I'm scared to death that some idiot would steal my R1, especially it's close to perfect right now....

Seem's like $450 isn't a bad deal, if there are any better ones out there I would love to hear about them.

·
Backmarker
2,000 Posts
This is something I have looked into in the past.

For a tracking system to be effective, the thief can not know it is there (otherwise, they take the extra 45 seconds to open the bike and pull it out)--which means your bike still gets stolen. Even an ignition bypass is enough to alert the thief that there is a security system on the bike.

I have not checked out cycletrak, but most GPS systems are not real-time, meaning you have to 'poll' them, and you only get so many 'polls' per month. Also, the GPS tracking system I checked into was Line of Site, which means if the bike is rolled into a garage or into the back of a van, you are SOL.

The best idea is to prevent the bike from being stolen in the first place. And to have a sh*tload of insurance. And a gun.

Good luck, sorry if this reply wasn't all that helpful.

·
Il Padrino
1,995 Posts
I think a GPS tracking system is a good idea and I am planning to eventually get one. Even if they put it in a van or building they have to take it outside eventually, right?

I like LockDown Tracking. I worked with one of the owners last year to get a group buy for this forum and they were really great people to work with. www.lockdowntracking.com

·
Banned
15,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the features seem pretty cool, plus they'll reimburse you up to $1000 or for $100 more you get $5000. That makes me feel that they are confident of their product.

Real-time internet GPS theft tracking
Get motorcycles Location, Speed and Direction
Electronic-Geofencing alerts with set predetermined boundries
Disable/Enable starter
Fastest speed of the day
Receive triggered alarm alerts via: Cell phone, pager, email, fax or internet
Flash lights
Honk the horn
Unlock/Lock doors
Low monthly airtime fee (Less then $10.00 per month)
Manufacturer added THEFT INSURANCE of up to $1000-$5000 if stolen and not recovered!

Is anyone interested if I contact them about a group buy?

·
Backmarker
2,000 Posts
I thought Lockdown went out of business? There is another post where someone is talking about a lawsuit.

I believe Lowjack is available where you are, which is a tested and true system for recovering stolen vehicles.

And the structure/van thing is important, because they could totally disassemble your bike with a screwdriver and an alan wrench, taking the GPS out of the bike beofore it hits the street again. And chances are they WILL open up the bike to hotwire it, anyhow.

Also, the GPS systems I have seen are a finicky--must be pointed in the right direction, must be right side up, etc. If your bike is on its side (at least with the Lockdown system) it will NOT transmit a correct location. Trust me, I tested the thing out.

Remember also that "real-time" does not mean a moving picture of what is happenning, it is a snap-shot of what is happenning at that moment. The system is only good once they have come to a halt. The Lockdown GPS was good to within about 50-100 feet. Not bad, unless there are a number of structures the bike can be hidden in, and as I said, if it is inside the structure, the device does not work.

I am not saying not to get one, I'm just saying not to have a false sense of security with it.

I built a 120lb plate-steel box to enclose the front wheel of my bike. The box is secured to the concrete with 1/2 inch concrete anchors. Literally the only way to steal my bike is to disassemble the front forks. If they are willing to go through that effort, they can have the bike. Otherwise, I keep my bike in a public area when I go out--ideally in a location I can see from where I am.

There really is no alternative to prevention.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts