Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.

A buddy of mine let someone else ride his R6 and he wrecked it pretty badly (about $3,000 in damages easily). Both of them have no insurance.

He is now saying he will not cover the repair costs. Can my buddy take him to small claims court or is he sh** out of luck?

This is in the state of FL.

· Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
small claim it....and an ass whoopin is also called for
Yeah, there are shitty people out there. He was nice enough to let him ride it. BUT, I'm sure he learned his lesson. :x

· 14k+ posts and not one helpful
14,358 Posts
Yup, small claims and an attitude adjustment is in order for the guy for sure.

· Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apparently he went to the hospital to get checked out and they found alcohol in his system and he said it was from a dirt bike accident lol

I guess hes going to take him to court if he doesn't pay up.

· I am the vanilla gorilla!
18,251 Posts
Apparently he went to the hospital to get checked out and they found alcohol in his system and he said it was from a dirt bike accident lol

I guess hes going to take him to court if he doesn't pay up.
If he went to the hospital, they will have noted he was drunk. I'd tell him to pay up or report it to the police :fact Sucks to have to be a dick but he started it. :yesnod

· Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, so apparently he took no pictures or anything(no evidence). The only thing that is on record is that the guy went to the hospital in the middle of the night for injuries.

Will this be a problem in small claims court? How can he prove that HE wrecked the bike?

The guy that wrecked his bike is def. not paying for the damages now, because he mentioned taking him to court.

· Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
+1, your friend is a retard.
Yes, I know. I gave him a lot of sh** for letting someone else ride his bike without some assurance like cash in hand.

· 14k+ posts and not one helpful
14,358 Posts
Ok, so apparently he took no pictures or anything(no evidence). The only thing that is on record is that the guy went to the hospital in the middle of the night for injuries.

Will this be a problem in small claims court? How can he prove that HE wrecked the bike?

The guy that wrecked his bike is def. not paying for the damages now, because he mentioned taking him to court.
Your friend is likely boned. Lesson learned the hard way. If he takes it to court it's a case of he said/(s)he said

· Moving sucks...
10,202 Posts
1) Why doesn't your friend have insurance on his bike?
2) Why does your friend lend out property worth thousands of dollars to someone that's really not a friend and clearly has no moral compass?
3) Why didn't your friend report the accident to the police and at the minimum get the event documented?

Multiple lessons to be learned here. Make stupid decisions in life, suffer stupid consequences. It really sucks for your friend but I hope he comes away with a new set of rules to adhere to.

· Crash OverRide
1,361 Posts
Even if it was tied up in small claims court, it would take months to get any money at all out of the other guy or just has a judgement against him. Who knows how this will turn out.

· Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LMAO, I just learned hes got an eye witness. I'm guessing that might save his ass. SMH

How can people get themselves into situations like these. UGH

· Registered
1,687 Posts
If he went to the hospital, they will have noted he was drunk. I'd tell him to pay up or report it to the police :fact Sucks to have to be a dick but he started it. :yesnod
Even if they note it I don't think you can get that info without a court subpoena. I know even if we find a pound of meth on a drug mule we can't turn them in. If nurses turned people in people wouldn't trust us, and trust is one thing that nurses take pride in, so legally we're gagged/protected and *CANT* report stuff like that.

We can report child abuse, and stuff like that but not personal drug use and wrecking a motorcycle drunk and only injuring yourself would probably fall into that category.

· Registered
1,687 Posts
1) Why doesn't your friend have insurance on his bike?
2) Why does your friend lend out property worth thousands of dollars to someone that's really not a friend and clearly has no moral compass?
3) Why didn't your friend report the accident to the police and at the minimum get the event documented?

Multiple lessons to be learned here. Make stupid decisions in life, suffer stupid consequences. It really sucks for your friend but I hope he comes away with a new set of rules to adhere to.
LOL exactly. I have insurance and I still only rarely let my EXPERIENCED friends ride my baby. It's like letting people ride your wife...

· Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LOL exactly. I have insurance and I still only rarely let my EXPERIENCED friends ride my baby. It's like letting people ride your wife...
HAHAHA, I may have to use that quote as my sig. :sneaky

Love it!

· Owner of the color changing R1
16,775 Posts
small claims is his only option. but from what i read some states really dont enforce the payments from it. I think i read somewhere in texas small claims court settlements get 10 years to be paid off

your friend is a moron for 1. not having insurance to begin with. 2. letting someone else without insurance ride his bike. 3.letting a drunk uninsured person on his bike. 4 not reporting the accident.

tell him to get better friends, grow a brain, and repair the bike himself

· kickin' at the darkness
10,318 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.