Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Banned
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is probably a stupid question, so i apologize ahead of time..

anyways, is it legal to park your motorcycle on the sidewalk? is there any law as far as parking your bike on the sidewalk? thanks

also has anybody have gotten a ticket or hassled by a cop/metermaids by parking on the sidewalk. i see people park their bikes on the sidewalk here in los angeles and wondering if anybody gotten in trouble for it..

by the way i live in los angeles, california...thanks

· Need... More... Trackdays
886 Posts
ive never gotten shit for parkin on the sidewalk but i dont know if its legal or not

· Self Appointed
737 Posts
If you live in a place where parking spots are hard to come by, I don't see the problem. You are actually doing people a favor. (not to mention yourself getting to immediately park as close as you like :beer )

People have horror stories of cagers getting pissed from their bike taking up a parking spot in highly congested areas and trying to move it and dropping it.

As far as the law, I have no idea though.

· Banned
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies...

· Banned
9,609 Posts
turbo823 said:
this is probably a stupid question, so i apologize ahead of time..

anyways, is it legal to park your motorcycle on the sidewalk? is there any law as far as parking your bike on the sidewalk? thanks

also has anybody have gotten a ticket or hassled by a cop/metermaids by parking on the sidewalk. i see people park their bikes on the sidewalk here in los angeles and wondering if anybody gotten in trouble for it..

by the way i live in los angeles, california...thanks
Each state varies so check your local laws.

· Fuelled by Rice
3,751 Posts
It is illegal, but I think if you take the right precautions then you won't have as many problems. What I do when I go to a mall or something, I'll park my bike on the sidewalk in an area where there is a lot of room for pedestrians to get around. Close to a bike rack area is one good spot.

· Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!
125 Posts
I parked at the bike rack at a target once (not blocking the rack or the walkway) and a cop came by and was going to right me a ticket. The security guard at the store asked if he could jsut page me in the store and get me to move it. He did and I was done shopping anyway and I went on my way. That was the only time I've ever been hassled for it.

This was in southern CA.

· MOTORCYCLE NAZI
2,450 Posts
It is against the law here but like it has already been stated, They usually dont harass you if you pick a spot that doesnt hinder walk traffic.

· INVICTUS
15,201 Posts
It's illegal here for the same reason you can't put a car on the sidewalk. But like IP said, only someone who's a natural born prick is gonna give a damn. I park on the sidewalk at cafe's and whatnot if I'm going inside. Other than that I don't take my bike anywhere I can't see it. We got some theivin bastiges here.

· Bike No. 86
7,463 Posts
I rode my bike through one of those kinda big outside shopping centres once to get a park near a shop I wanted togo into...LOL

Security came over in there little buggy, and had a go at me...
funny thing was, I towered over this little piss ant and told him I do not take well to being told what to do... he was so nice and completely apologized and let me go... hahaha what a SQUID I was that day... the stupid things we do.

as 4 sidewalks, just be thoughtful of others is all..
that or u get a complete prick.

;)

· My '04 R1 is here!!
182 Posts
me and a friend pulled up on the sidewalk one time in downtown dallas. a cop came over and said that we couldn't park there so i asked him where we could park. he pointed to an area that was a "loading zone". I asked him if he was sure and he said yes it would be alright.

well, we went in and came out about 20 minutes later and guess what...a parking ticket!!!

we both contested it but the letter didn't seem to work for my friend so he had to pay $30. the funny thing is we sent in the exact same letter just changing the names and I've never heard anything back on it. i called once and they said they were still processing it.

guess i should call again and make sure there isn't a warrant out for that stupid ticket.

· MOTORCYCLE NAZI
2,450 Posts
Tron said:
I rode my bike through one of those kinda big outside shopping centres once to get a park near a shop I wanted togo into...LOL

;)
I rode mine on a golf course once... It was interesting... you have to watch out for the sand traps... lol especially when its dark and you dont have your lights on for obvious reasons

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.