Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Cheating death in the "D"
21,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well I finally did it . . . jumped off the Microsoft band wagon

after using my GF new MacBook Pro for a couple weeks . . . I took the plunge, my old desktop bit the dirt so what better time to get a new desktop

Let me just say that I've used Windows since it was initially released after switching from DOS based programs on ancient 286 pc's. Although windows has improved over the years, its still left alot to be desired in the way of stability & security, and my last desktop was just the icing on the cake

The Mac OS is still very new to me but getting easier to use every day, and the performance & graphics are amazing. I'm not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination, so price was an initial concern, and form & function were the deciding factors.

I would love to be able to afford the Mac Pro with 16Gb of ram, TB of HD, dual Quad core processors & a 30" HD cinema display . . . but thats not reality, and is really way more than I need, so I opted for the 24" IMac. I really like the style & size, plus it has all the features I'll need in one straight forward unit.

here's the specs-
Processor 065-7045 2.8GHZ INTEL CORE 2 EXTREME
Memory 065-6963 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
Hard Drive 065-7354 320GB Serial ATA
Optical Drive 065-6972 SuperDrive 8X(DVD+R DL/DVD+RW)
Mouse from AOS 065-7552 Apple Wireless Mouse
MAC OS Language 065-6979 Wireless Keyboard
MAC OS X Leopard​

It should be here sometime next week

I'll be hanging onto my Sony XP based laptop for now until I get everything migrated to the Mac, and than still use it for some offsite work/travel related stuff

Attachments

·
Life: Comedy or Tragedy?
37,587 Posts

·
Hell has frozen over
7,654 Posts
congrats, i got my first computer (apple II GS) in 89, and i stayed apple until around 2000/2001... Nuthin but great years, thye only reason i changed was for a couple years i had no home pc just work, work meant microsoft...

i tried to use a friends mac but i am just not used to the GUI anymore, and apple has always been pricey, last apple i bought was in 97, cost me 3k dollars and it wasnt even a tenth as powerful as what we are using today :lol

come to think of it i think the Apple II GS was valued at 3k too, and it wasnt 1/1000th of what I have in my laptop...simply amazing....

sorry off topic, point being as long as you are comfortable they are, great stable machines, with all the new cross-platform coompatibility I might switch again when my laptop bites the dust...its on its way out, i have so much software installed on my c drive i dont have enuff disk space to defrag :(

·
Hell has frozen over
7,654 Posts
for sh1ts n giggles i went to apple.com, to see what they are making these days, a fully loaded mac-mini, as part of my home entertainment center might be on tap. I havent had a desktop in years.. laptops have just as much power and i can take it with me...

but a second home pc connected to the tv/cable/internet etc......that would be interesting

·
R1, "One Hell of an Addiction"
13,996 Posts
for sh1ts n giggles i went to apple.com, to see what they are making these days, a fully loaded mac-mini, as part of my home entertainment center might be on tap. I havent had a desktop in years.. laptops have just as much power and i can take it with me...

but a second home pc connected to the tv/cable/internet etc......that would be interesting
Same here, I'v never had a desktop system but the wife does.

·
Life: Comedy or Tragedy?
37,587 Posts
Same here, I'v never had a desktop system but the wife does.

I'm going the opposite direction. I just moved away from a desktop to a laptop for business reasons. The wife pretty much will always stay on a desktop though because of wanting one very large system in the house (never mind the fact of having 4 servers downstairs in a server rack :crash )

·
Hell has frozen over
7,654 Posts
i got turned off of desktops in 2001 when i made th4e mistake of buying an eMachine.... i was returning it for warranty work withing the first 14 days...

bad monitor, bad cd drive.... it got to the point where i didn't care... i replaced it with surplus sh!te from work (my job tends to buy lots of lcd's and toss perfectly good crt's instead of ordering the computer with an lcd already :dunno...scavenge a couple cd drives from old pc's marked for destruction and boom working system with no worries about mailing it back to that crap hole company....

·
Cheating death in the "D"
21,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mac's in da house

just got it and its freaking amazing . . . the high definition is really sweet . . . the graphics blow me away

and ya gotta love the styling, all aluminum case & keyboard, and all wireless (bluetooth). Checkout how small & thin the keyboard is . . . and the remote works sweet, especially with movies

Attachments

·
Hell has frozen over
7,654 Posts
Apple and Sony always are top of the line with design.... but you gotta pay for the prettiness :fact

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.