Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Bulldogger
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright fellas need some advice. Money aside, would my 01 make a good track bike or should I try to pick up a salvaged 600 or 750?? I hear about carb problems after being laid down (which is part of the learning curve at the track) Should I keep the 01 as my "baby" and get something fuel injected or cross her over?? Any advice from you racer-track dayers would be greatly appreciated.

·
Action figure sold separately
12,225 Posts
If you want a liter bike as a track bike, the 01 can become a good one. In most cases, the suspension isn't up to the task without new springs and revalving the forks, and possibly a new rear shock. The Graves suspension link dramatically improves the bikes track worthiness. SS brake lines and Vesrah RJL pads, or PG 95 brake pads. Shark Skinz and a Graves fairing bracket.

·
Bulldogger
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ride the piss out of her on the street, but starting to realize the speed is gonna catch up with me on public roads. How weak is the stock suspension?? Pointers on setting her up corrrectly?? Shops other racers??

·
12,225 Posts
The stock suspension is very weak for riders over 150 lbs. The progressive rate front fork springs need to be replaced with stiffer linear rate springs of the proper rate based on your weight geared up. I would have the forks re-sprung and revalved by Lindemann or Dan Kyle. I don't lime the rear shock at all. I replaced mine with a Penske. The rear suspension linkage is too linear, and adversely affects rear traction and suspension performance. A Graves suspension link helps greatly. Then you need to set up your suspension properly. You will probably need some assistance from folks that know what to do, rather than make random adjustments. Start by setting front and rear sag properly. Compression and rebound dampinf adjustments are then made one at a time in increments until you get a feel for what they do and know what you are trying to accomplish. Start with stock ride height. Use that as your baseline should you make changes and see what effect they will have. There is almost as much art as science to suspension tuning, and no one set-up is correct for all riders under all circumstances.

·
Bulldogger
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where in cali are you located eyespy? I'm a 200lb rider, so it sounds like I will need to dial in the stock susp. with out a doubt. Lookin for a push in the right direction. Hoping to be semi-set up to hit butonwillow constintley next season with a little help. I don't have unrealistic expectectations, just looking to get in the game. I'm in bako.

·
Bulldogger
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nobody:dunno

·
Bulldogger
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, no, maybe so, comon guys help a wannabe tracker out.

·
smooth=fast
1,136 Posts
for your first trackseason set the sag-look for the thread here in the forum somewhere for the diamension [38mm/f:35mm/r if I remember], both f/r should pogo together. your compresion/rebound will be around 2/3 adj. Remenber ride smooth make one adj and try. Take notes! The process may take several weeks-enjoy

·
Birdslayer
348 Posts
bigkvn1 said:
Alright fellas need some advice. Money aside, would my 01 make a good track bike or should I try to pick up a salvaged 600 or 750?? I hear about carb problems after being laid down (which is part of the learning curve at the track) Should I keep the 01 as my "baby" and get something fuel injected or cross her over?? Any advice from you racer-track dayers would be greatly appreciated.
I would give me the "1" and by a 750. Then you would have someone to ride with and it might keep Linda from cumming over all the time: Looks like this :boobies :butt

Attachments

·
12,225 Posts
bigkvn1 said:
Where in cali are you located eyespy? I'm a 200lb rider, so it sounds like I will need to dial in the stock susp. with out a doubt. Lookin for a push in the right direction. Hoping to be semi-set up to hit butonwillow constintley next season with a little help. I don't have unrealistic expectectations, just looking to get in the game. I'm in bako.
I'm in the high desert, I can be found frequently at WSIR. Have done BW only once. Contact Linemann or Kyle and get that suspension tuned. Maybe see you at the track some day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts