Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
One Liter Duck Eater
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
So...I installed the vortex fair stay and motoholders subframes yesterday. These to pieces are a PITA!!!

The fairing stay holes don’t line up well at all. I was only able to secure two out of three tabs. The bar on the left side touches the gauges, so you can’t push them down flush. Forget about using the rubber grommets.

The subframe was a B!+ch. No instructions what so ever. There is no place to mount the tip over sensor. I had to drill holes into the Carbon Fiber tray to mount the sensor. Motoholders gives you two pieces of aluminum that I really can’t use. I think that this subframe is suppose to be used with European bodywork.

I got everything to work ok now, but it was a pain.

Attachments

·
One Liter Duck Eater
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
These tires are great. I was really worried when I had these installed trackside. They hooked up p.d.q.

I only have 150+ miles on them so far.

No street use, all track.

As far as PSI, I can only remember the rear (33).

Wear is good so far. I keep my bike on stands all winter so I don’t get flat spots.

·
Premium Member
11,510 Posts
These tires are great. I was really worried when I had these installed trackside. They hooked up p.d.q.

I only have 150+ miles on them so far.

No street use, all track.

As far as PSI, I can only remember the rear (33).

Wear is good so far. I keep my bike on stands all winter so I don’t get flat spots.
Damn! 33 hot?

·
Registered
51 Posts
You've got a lot of $$$ in expensive parts. At one point I had all of the fancy aluminum subframe and front fairing stay, but to be honest with you .. Once you crash they all break the same.

Maybe you have a dispensable income or something, but IMO I'd say save the money and spend it on tires & seat-time.

·
Premium Member
11,510 Posts
You've got a lot of $$$ in expensive parts. At one point I had all of the fancy aluminum subframe and front fairing stay, but to be honest with you .. Once you crash they all break the same.

Maybe you have a dispensable income or something, but IMO I'd say save the money and spend it on tires & seat-time.
•Engine case savers are crash protection.

•Motoholders subframe crash better than OEM and is repairable unlike the OEM subframe He can now use OEM as spare.

•Aluminum fairing stay is also repairable and crash better than OEM. He can now use OEM as spare.

•Forks crash well on track and the rear shock...well...no comment on that because it’s never damage in a crash.

I could go on.

I am not seeing the validity of your comment

·
Registered
51 Posts
•Engine case savers are crash protection.

•Motoholders subframe crash better than OEM and is repairable unlike the OEM subframe He can now use OEM as spare.

•Aluminum fairing stay is also repairable and crash better than OEM. He can now use OEM as spare.

•Forks crash well on track and the rear shock...well...no comment on that because it’s never damage in a crash.

I could go on.

I am not seeing the validity of your comment
An OEM subframe on eBay is like $300. I'm sure it wouldn't been over 50% of that to have my aluminum subframe straightened and welded again. Luckily I have a friend that did it for me for cheap, but I've never mounted it back on to see how straight it was. Every crash is different so you can't guarantee a fixed aluminum subframe will ever line up as well as a new one, or a used OEM eBay one.

An aftermarket fairing stay on eBay is $30, and much cheaper than having the aluminum one fixed since my was bent it so many spots. Once again, I had my friend do his best to straighten and weld it back together but have not tested it since.

My 2nd crash was a low-side at T9 @ Jennings. It hit the grass and may have tumbled a little or something, but it did bend the forks. That cost me $500 for a OEM (12'-14') set on eBay.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts