Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
SuperMod Abuser
27,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned my 2000 since 04. I am a diehard carb R1 fan. :) In 2007 I started to get bored with it and she was starting to get "tired". I decided to embark on a complete "makeover" and I have been modding her ever since.

There are many quality builds here on the Forum. Some really rare race spec parts and serious $$$$ builds. I wanted to go another route.

So since I have started, my build concentrates more on the interchangeability of the different years of R1 parts with a few rare parts thrown in. :)

pic 1 - one of the oldest, original pics of my R1. And my old Duc. :)
pic 2 - beginning of the swap
pic 3 - stock forks being replaced with 07 forks
pic 4 - swapping in 03 swinger
pic 5 - complete 03 swinger and 07 forks swap

The swinger was an easy swap. I used the 03 rear rotor and caliper as well. The 07 forks went right in as well. I also used 07 upper and lower triples. The offset between the 00 and 07 is different so you cannot mix the two.

Attachments

·
Hope is what makes us Human.
8,395 Posts
Me like it! :fact

·
SuperMod Abuser
27,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
After the swinger and forks swap, I went with the wheels. I got a hold of a cheap set of 06 rims in gold. While I preferred to have them in black, I think the gold works. :)

I also went with 07 rotors, calipers and clip ons. All swapped in without an issue.

pic 1 - wheels thrown in
pic 2 - did a simple mod with blue LEDs in the upper corners of the lights. wired them in to my highbeams. :)
pic 3 - this is the way my bike looked after I was done in 07
pic 4 - close up of calipers and wheel

So what did the mods do? Well, the 03 swinger is stiffer than the 00 and the 07 forks are upgrades over the stock 00 forks. I noticed right away how much easier the bike turned in and I could "feel" more of what the suspension was doing.

The best mod though are the six pot 07 calipers! The bike went from "uhhh, I think I can stop" to "oh, I stopped a week ago". :lol With the new calipers I have much more confidence in my brakes. :)

Attachments

·
SuperMod Abuser
27,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the bike stayed the same until this year. I got the mod bug again and I finally scored some new stuff.

I picked up a shorty YEC Akra can a few years ago but I didn't have the exhaust to go with it. I had a full M4 system and while I was happy with it, I wanted a change.

I scored a full 02 Akra system this year and decided to finally swap it.

pic 1 - YEC Akra shorty
pic 2 - large outlet!
pic 3 - mounted :)
pic 4 - as she sits now

The carb R1s prefer a "4 into 1" exhaust system. Unfortunately I scored a "4 into 2 into 1" system but since my old M4 exhaust was a 4-2-1 I didn't think it would be an issue. I must say though that the sound is awesome...nice and throaty without that annoying buzzing lawnmower sound; which my M4 sounded nice too. :)

Attachments

·
SuperMod Abuser
27,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The last pic shows an obvious ":whtfu:", right? :lol I decided to also convert the stock 00 tail to the much smoother 02/03 tail. I started this a few months ago and right now it is in the mock up phase.....I keep getting distracted between the 99 and the R6 trackwhore. :lol

pic 1 - 02/03 tail mocked up. I also bought a brand new 02/03 battery tray but I have since went back to my original 00 tray because the 02/03 tray had too many different mounting points.
pic 2 - pic from above
pic 3 - pic from below
pic 4 - you can see the side mounting point for stock 00/01 tails. The 02/03 tails mount from above so I need to drill in to the subframe to mount the 02/03 tail.

So I have been hesitant to drill in to the subframe so it has been sitting until I decide what I want to do. :lol

After talking to SSPilot I think I have a decent idea on what to do. :)

Attachments

·
SuperMod Abuser
27,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I still have some more parts to swap in but as everyone around here knows, I tend to drag my feet. :lol

pic 1 - Harris braced swinger I scored this year :)
pic 2 - custom rear rotor
pic 3 - forgot that I also swapped in an 09 upper triple. looks better than the stock 07 triple. I will be getting an M1 styled 12 triple when they are available. :)

And this is where I am at now. Eventually I will start working on her again. :lol

Attachments

·
90% INDESTRUCTABLE
15,284 Posts
Awesome work Frank. I love how you started out with "I'm just going to see what OEM stuff fits"...and ended up with a Harris braced swinger.:bow

It's coming along nicely, unique, I like it. :thumbup

·
SuperMod Abuser
27,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome work Frank. I love how you started out with "I'm just going to see what OEM stuff fits"...and ended up with a Harris braced swinger.:bow

It's coming along nicely, unique, I like it. :thumbup
Thanks, Ben! :) I still have more ideas to swap parts.....I have an 06 swinger on the shelf. :sneaky Now let's see your builds! :rock

·
90% INDESTRUCTABLE
15,284 Posts
Cool, is that an EDR rotor? They look like they'd go through a set of pads per ride! Very sexy though.

·
I ride my bike, not look at it
1,226 Posts
Nice….Love the Harris swinger & your 07 parts, good idea...:)

Unique 00 R1…for sure.:thumbup

·
SuperMod Abuser
27,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice….Love the Harris swinger & your 07 parts, good idea...:)

Unique 00 R1…for sure.:thumbup
Thanks! :) I have more in mind...including 12 parts! :sneaky

Nice Frank! I started thinking you dint even ride until now.:lol J/K bro thats going to be a sweet ass ride.:fact
Hey I still ride...just the R6 at the track though. :lol Thanks, Dave! :)

1 - 20 of 138 Posts
About this Discussion
137 Replies
24 Participants
No-Lag
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing