Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

81 - 100 of 138 Posts

·
SuperMod Abuser
27,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
So I'm on a roll....headlight resurrection

I have the set of headlights that are jacked up. Have had them for awhile, bought them that way for a reason. :)

I am only concerned with the left side light for right now. You can see the semi-deep gouging on the light. Also a bunch of lighter scratches everwhere. pic 1

The lights were borken in half and previous owner "fixed" it with a buttload of gunk. pic 2 & 3

After I broke them in half again. pic 4

After sanding and grinding anf cleaning up all the gunk. pic 5

Attachments

·
SuperMod Abuser
27,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
You can see the deep scratches in the upper left and minor scratches and marks on the lower end. pic 1

After hitting it with 300 grit first. pic 2

After blending it with 800 grit. pic 3

After wet sanding with 3000 grit. pic 4

Finally done after rubbing compound. Night and day! :) pic 5

So after the cleanup was done, mounted. Now where to go from here.....:sing: pic 6

:)

Attachments

·
SuperMod Abuser
27,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I will have to remember this, even my 06 lights are starting to look dodgy. Are you going to cover the other side or put in a ram air duct, missle launcher?
It's actually really easy. It is a kit I got from Advanced Auto(like 20 bucks) that is meant to fix those sun damaged/yellowed headlights. It's teh same thing as fixing scratches.

Trick is taking it slow and even sanding.

The other side? Hmmmmmm.....:sing:

·
SuperMod Abuser
27,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Oh I thought that's why you sent me here :hammer: :hammer:

It's looking good though Frank, I did that to the wife's car. Anyone who believes that stuff on TV," rub it on buff it off and good to go" is nuts :fact
Yeah i see people buying it and talking about it all the time and i just have to laugh. :lol

·
90% INDESTRUCTABLE
15,284 Posts

·
SuperMod Abuser
27,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #94

·
strength and honor
4,690 Posts
I have ducting I was gonna use on the mustang if ya want... only thing is if you ram air it, you will need to rejet the carbs and all that jazz... we could always ram air it and then take it to micah to use the dyno to optimize the jetting... lol my othe thought was to my the shark skinz upper and cut out the single hole fo rthe endurance bike look...

·
90% INDESTRUCTABLE
15,284 Posts
lol my other thought was to my the shark skinz upper and cut out the single hole fo rthe endurance bike look...
Now you're talking. :yesnod

·
strength and honor
4,690 Posts
Now you're talking. :yesnod
I was originally thinking of doing that with mine.... LOL

problem was the sharkskins upper I had was for a 2000 and not a 99....

81 - 100 of 138 Posts
About this Discussion
137 Replies
24 Participants
No-Lag
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing