Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

121 - 138 of 138 Posts

·
SuperMod Abuser
27,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
For anyone interested, I haven't had any updates with this bike because I have been struggling with the direction I originally planned with this build and what to take with the 99 build, both of which I have going now.

I have since moved most of these parts on this build to my 99 and this one will sit as is indefinitely while I concentrate on my 99 build (no build thread yet). Have some cool plans for the 99 if all goes as planned! :)

·
strength and honor
4,690 Posts
:yesnod I know he is busy right now so I will answer for him...:lol

·
It's the one that says....
503 Posts
03 swinger went right in and the 07+ forks and yokes does as well.
While the yokes may have seemed to fit, there is a mismatch between the races... The race in the lower steering neck of the 2000 frame is 30mm and the race on the lower steering stem of the 07-08 is 31mm. The bearings are different too. I'm not sure if this will ever bind on you or wear prematurely, but you can only go to an 06 for parts compatibility. Just my .02 :)

·
SuperMod Abuser
27,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
what year exhaust system fits a 2000 R1 I cant seem to find one for my 2000
For a 2000 R1, 98 - 03 exhaust systems will fit. However, the 98-01 systems are different from the 02/03 systems. The 98-01 systems are 4-1 systems and 02/03 systems are 4-2-1.

4-2-1 systems will kill some midrange but I have never had a problem using 4-2-1 systems on my 99 and 00 R1s.

Good luck. :)

While the yokes may have seemed to fit, there is a mismatch between the races... The race in the lower steering neck of the 2000 frame is 30mm and the race on the lower steering stem of the 07-08 is 31mm. The bearings are different too. I'm not sure if this will ever bind on you or wear prematurely, but you can only go to an 06 for parts compatibility. Just my .02 :)
Yes I noticed the slight difference. It hasn't bothered me at all though after a few thousand miles.

Funny you bring this up now though cause the 07/08 front end is off and I now have an 06 front end on to run specific calipers. :)

·
SuperMod Abuser
27,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Thanks! Any mfg better than others? This is my first R1 and new to these bikes.
I prefer Graves or Akrapovic. I have also had a full M4 exhaust as well and had no issues with it.

These days, you'd be lucky to find any full exhausts available by any manufacturer! :eek:

·
SuperMod Abuser
27,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Thanks, im finding that it is difficult to find.
I've actually seen a couple of full systems for sale on Ebay lately but they are asking ridiculous prices for beat up systems. UK Ebay has Akras for sale a lot more often but you will have to figure out shipping since a lot of sellers there do not want to ship to the US.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Fikays, i noticed in your build u went to newer forks to run newer 6 piston calipers. Is there any calipers i can run on my 98 front end that are better than stock? Im doing a full98 restoration and i agree with hating the front brakes but i dont want to switch my front end over yet. Any help is appreciated

Check out my thread if you want

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384106

·
SuperMod Abuser
27,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Fikays, i noticed in your build u went to newer forks to run newer 6 piston calipers. Is there any calipers i can run on my 98 front end that are better than stock? Im doing a full98 restoration and i agree with hating the front brakes but i dont want to switch my front end over yet. Any help is appreciated

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384106
To upgrade the original OEM 98-03 calipers, you're gonna look at aftermarket offerings.

From time to time I have seen Brembos on Ebay that were a replacement/upgrade for these years R1s.

If you want to stick to a restoration theme, then I suggest trying to find some Brembos, etc. One perk of sticking to a "resto-mod" theme is that these older after market parts are really cheap now. :)

·
Registered
314 Posts

98 R1 Restoration/Rebuild - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
Hate the brakes? Huh... I mean I realize its been 15 years but that's all we heard about was how great those front brakes where... What don't you like about them? (I swapped for the entire 03 front end).

121 - 138 of 138 Posts
About this Discussion
137 Replies
24 Participants
No-Lag
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing