Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So let me give you some information I got a motor for my 07 r1 after blowing a rod but after putting it in the bike and putting oil and coolant in I get a creamy mix I took a look in my radiator and there’s no oil there but there’s this mix in the oil pan I don’t want to do my head if I don’t have to if you have any thing I should look out for to tell if it’s the head gasket or the water pump seals plz help

·
Registered
67 Posts
The other possibility is a cracked block. Either way, it may be time for a new bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Coolant in the oil is a pretty sure tale sign of a blown head gasket, if your lucky thats the easy part... Might be a cracked block but either way you have to yank the head to find out... You definitely should not run the bike as coolant in the oil is only going to cause major issues internally, possible seizing and rust.. Not to mention the mess in the clutch and oil pump.. Id yank the head and start there check the head gasket. Also check and make sure you didnt warp the head if the bikes been overheating from loss of coolant. You might have to have the head machined if its warped or it will just end up leaking again.. Hope this helps..

·
Save a life, grope your wife!
1,494 Posts
If this is a used engine that you put in the bike, you should do compression and leak down tests on it. The leak down test in particular will tell you if you have a blown head gasket. Most likely it's a leaking head gasket or it could be the water pump shaft seal.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
if there was coolant going into the cylinder you would get white smoke from a blown head gasket if you don't have that them leak down won't tell you much. if you don't have oil in the coolant the its probably not a leak from pressurized oil section. if its just coolant in oil then i would say the coolant leaking into a drain section for oil is most likely. you can try taking off the engine side cover on the cam chain side as most of the oil drains there and you may see coolant running down. you can rent a pressure tester for you r cooling system from auto zone or you can buy one usually for under 20 bucks on amazon or a cheap tool place. with the bike cold you can pressurize it and listen for a leak and look around. these motors don't actually run coolant through the "block" its just through the head and the barrels and i don't think i have ever seen the barrels crack its the head that does it. in any case your heads coming off so you might as well plan on reciting the cylinders and a new set of rings with a gasket maybe valve guide seals and a quick lapping of the valves. good luck keep us posted.

·
R1.. The fast kind
848 Posts
Before you tear of the cylinder head, check coolant pump....

If you havn't allready, check out "Bladers" thread on the same topic..

·
Save a life, grope your wife!
1,494 Posts
Well for one the head gasket can be compromised and just not be leaking compression. For two it can be failing a leakdown from rings or valves and have nothing to do with head gasket.
If the head gasket leaks coolant, it will fail a leak down test. Bad rings and valves, while you are correct in that they have nothing to do with the head gasket, will give a different symptom in a leak down test. If you have ever done one, then you should know this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts