Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys it’s been a long time since I have posted here but I am in the need of a little help. 2007 r1 has been sitting for 3 months typical summer here in Az. I can’t seem to get he bike to quickly start she just takes a while to finally roll over. I’ll turn the key on and flip it to run and press start and she cranks strongly but just takes forever to turn over and when she does it isn’t healthy sounding but does clear up.

The battery is always on a charger and I made sure to top it off with my odyssey charger. I checked the plugs and decided to just change them, air filter is clean. Still no go. I removed the tank and the fuel pump thinking it was some bad gas. Tank was emptied and cleaned and new gas put In still having issues.

If I’m patient, the bike will start and run great but I shut it off and turn it back on it will start fine but if it sits for 10mins or so I have the same issue over. If I’m away from the house I’ll kill the battery trying to start the bike before it turns over.
Any help would be great thanks guys.

·
Registered
769 Posts
What happens if you blip the throttle while cranking? If it helps, could be fueling (dirty injectors?).

I also notice you're nearly at 35k miles. Have you had a valve adjustment done? Incorrect valve clearances can result in hard starts.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What happens if you blip the throttle while cranking? If so, could be fueling (dirty injectors?).

I also notice you're nearly at 35k miles. Have you had a valve adjustment done? Incorrect valve clearances can result in hard starts.

If I blip the throttle it helps but also when it fires up I’ll get a little smoke out of the exhaust. And yeah valves were done by my mechanic maybe 7k ago. All the scheduled maintenance has always been done.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Throttle body sync after the valve adjustment?

Do you have a PowerCommander or something like that? I'm curious what would happen if you removed it

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Throttle body sync after the valve adjustment?

Do you have a PowerCommander or something like that? I'm curious what would happen if you removed it

35k and u did drain and switch the fuel and cleaned the tank.

I do have a power commander I can remove it today and see if the results are different. And yes a throttle body sync was done with the valve adj.

·
Registered
769 Posts
35k and u did drain and switch the fuel and cleaned the tank.

I do have a power commander I can remove it today and see if the results are different. And yes a throttle body sync was done with the valve adj.
Sounds like you're doing everything right so far. What you've described sounds like a fuel issue, so hopefully removing the PC will shine some light on things. Nothing worse than coming out to a good running bike after a few months and something being wrong lol

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like you're doing everything right so far. What you've described sounds like a fuel issue, so hopefully removing the PC will shine some light on things. Nothing worse than coming out to a good running bike after a few months and something being wrong lol

yeah the summers are just soo hot that i can’t ride now I want to and I can’t very frustrating. I did pull the power commander and still the same problem.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
difficolta innesco pompa,.. filtro sporco !!!:(
yeah I wonder if the bike isn’t priming I hear the pump when I flip the run switch but who knows. I don’t have a fuel pressure gauge but at least I can pull the fuel line and see if it's pressurizing. As for the filter I’m not sure where that is looks like it goes from the tank directly to the rail.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think I would jump the bike from a car, and see if it is a different result. If not, when’s the last time spark plugs were changed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey guys it’s been a long time since I have posted here but I am in the need of a little help. 2007 r1 has been sitting for 3 months typical summer here in Az. I can’t seem to get he bike to quickly start she just takes a while to finally roll over. I’ll turn the key on and flip it to run and press start and she cranks strongly but just takes forever to turn over and when she does it isn’t healthy sounding but does clear up.

The battery is always on a charger and I made sure to top it off with my odyssey charger. I checked the plugs and decided to just change them, air filter is clean. Still no go. I removed the tank and the fuel pump thinking it was some bad gas. Tank was emptied and cleaned and new gas put In still having issues.

If I’m patient, the bike will start and run great but I shut it off and turn it back on it will start fine but if it sits for 10mins or so I have the same issue over. If I’m away from the house I’ll kill the battery trying to start the bike before it turns over.
Any help would be great thanks guys.
Hold throttle 100% open and hold it there like your life depends on it.
Then hit the start button.
Do not lift off throttle till its loud.
Worked on a buddies

·
Registered
127 Posts
Here are a couple of things I'd check. Hope this helps.

1)check the battery voltage under load. Sometimes a battery will take a good charge on the trickle but can't discharge because of sulfate. I don't ever leave a battery on a tender for more than a day, but that's probably because I'm paranoid.

2)I'd check my spark. I think the manual has ohm values for the coils. I'd ohm them out and I'd visually check the spark before I popped them back in or replaced the plugs.

3)I'd consider servicing the starter. It could be starter drag. Others have rebuilt their starters and had a litany of starting issues resolved.

Oh, and I'd clean my injectors, but again, paranoid.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Like others have said on the battery. Almost like a weak cell, or as someone else said about the starter dragging down but a bad battery could do the same. Try using a multimeter across the battery and while cranking watch to see how many volts the battery drops down to. While its running you can also look to see if it is charging.... allow it to warm up. Shut it off and turn back on while motor is hot and all observing the voltage. Bounce the numbers back and I or others can further help. I'm just assuming you don't have a amp probe but a multimeter will help.

Best of luck!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts