Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
It isn't your battery, it is as one other has said... you have old crappy fuel. Drain it would be best, or mix it with new fuel and let it run out. Gasoline turns into gel and then turpentine after long storage... only takes as little as a year to happen.

If it were your battery, it wouldn't start... EVER. Batteries don't give magical more voltage by holding down the starting for 3 minutes... they D.R.A.I.N. If you have every had a bad battery on your bike, you know this... you only have 1 shot to start it and if you can't you are done until it charges up again from a trickle charger hours later (and bad batteries can't hold a charge no matter how long your trickle charge them). So because the bike eventually starts, your battery is fine. It might also be a bad starter, bad spark plug, fuel pump, fuel filter, etc. but start with the as it is the most likely and the easiest to solve.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys it’s been a long time since I have posted here but I am in the need of a little help. 2007 r1 has been sitting for 3 months typical summer here in Az. I can’t seem to get he bike to quickly start she just takes a while to finally roll over. /
I had a similar situation a few months back. left the fuel tank empty for about 7 months. would turn over but not start. after checking many things it turned out to be the fuel pump. it was pumping fuel, but only at about 10 psi, and it needs 43PSI. Unfortunately the Diagnostics, that are very good on everything else, do not measure fuel pressure.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
yeah this is where I’m at, I’m thinking it’s a pressure issue. Unfortunately I dont have a fuel pressure gauge so I’m going to go to the store and get a longer fuel hose and place it in a jar and see if it’s putting any pressure out when I turn the key.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Like others have said on the battery. Almost like a weak cell, or as someone else said about the starter dragging down but a bad battery could do the same. Try using a multimeter across the battery and while cranking watch to see how many volts the battery drops down to. While its running you can also look to see if it is charging.... allow it to warm up. Shut it off and turn back on while motor is hot and all observing the voltage. Bounce the numbers back and I or others can further help. I'm just assuming you don't have a amp probe but a multimeter will help.

Best of luck!
at rest battery is good 13.5volts
When cranking it’s 12.9-12.7volts it will drop from there as I hold the starter for an unreasonably long time. I haven’t had it fired up recently because I dont want to kill my starter.
The battery I just looked was replaced In April this year.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I was working on a Vulcan recently and it would crank but not start. It had a few things going on, the battery didn't have enough amps to start it and I fouled the plugs trying to get her to snap off. When I pulled the plugs they were wet. Dried them off and put them back in and she snapped right off after maybe 1/4 second on the starter button. I went ahead and replaced them. If you haven't checked your plugs yet, it might be worth checking to see if they are wet.

Checking the fuel pump (like you mentioned above) is also a good idea, but, in your second video you show it running, so I counted fuel off the list in my head.

Good luck bud, and I hope you get it sorted out soon.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So after a week of frustrations and some good advice on here (thank you guys) I think I found the problem. Went out and bought a cheep fuel pressure gauge at Harbor freight and threw it in. Pump is pressurizing to 20 and falling off. Explains why it’s hard to start. Not really sure why it runs occasionally but I’m going to order a pump and I’ll get back to you guys.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey guys it’s been a long time since I have posted here but I am in the need of a little help. 2007 r1 has been sitting for 3 months typical summer here in Az. I can’t seem to get he bike to quickly start she just takes a while to finally roll over. I’ll turn the key on and flip it to run and press start and she cranks strongly but just takes forever to turn over and when she does it isn’t healthy sounding but does clear up.

The battery is always on a charger and I made sure to top it off with my odyssey charger. I checked the plugs and decided to just change them, air filter is clean. Still no go. I removed the tank and the fuel pump thinking it was some bad gas. Tank was emptied and cleaned and new gas put In still having issues.

If I’m patient, the bike will start and run great but I shut it off and turn it back on it will start fine but if it sits for 10mins or so I have the same issue over. If I’m away from the house I’ll kill the battery trying to start the bike before it turns over.
Any help would be great thanks guys.
Get a 5.0 superbike speedcell battery . I did it starts with second try, before my bike would not start either.
Hey guys it’s been a long time since I have posted here but I am in the need of a little help. 2007 r1 has been sitting for 3 months typical summer here in Az. I can’t seem to get he bike to quickly start she just takes a while to finally roll over. I’ll turn the key on and flip it to run and press start and she cranks strongly but just takes forever to turn over and when she does it isn’t healthy sounding but does clear up.

The battery is always on a charger and I made sure to top it off with my odyssey charger. I checked the plugs and decided to just change them, air filter is clean. Still no go. I removed the tank and the fuel pump thinking it was some bad gas. Tank was emptied and cleaned and new gas put In still having issues.

If I’m patient, the bike will start and run great but I shut it off and turn it back on it will start fine but if it sits for 10mins or so I have the same issue over. If I’m away from the house I’ll kill the battery trying to start the bike before it turns over.
Any help would be great thanks guys.
Get a 5.0 superbike speedcell battery, the bike will start 1st try.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts