Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. Just picked up my new 2019 R1M. Coming off a 2015 BMW S100RR (loved it, but figured it's time for a change). Looking forward to getting it out on the track and seeing what this bad boy can do.

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
Nice bike brother!
I’m curious at your take on the differences of bmw to Yammie. Power, handling, electronics etc

·
Registered
38 Posts
I got my new 2018 R1 standard earlier this year after owning a 2012 S1000RR and a 2015 S1000RR. I'm eager to hear if our comparisons are similar.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As of this morning, I have only 94 miles on it. All my previous BMW superbikes, I've been gentle for the first 500/600 miles through first service then track duty. I know there are two schools of thought...but I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and deploy this bad boy for track duty or follow past practice and get about 500 miles and first service first. Thoughts?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well the STHOU has the 9k limiter so there's that but either way I subscribe to the gradual break in approach.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I guess it really depends on how long you keep bikes. I’ve put over a 100k on many bikes and keep them for a long time.
I don’t baby them, but I progressively go higher with rpm. Not holding them wide open or steady slow rpm. After I dump the oil at 500 miles then I start to unleash the beast and changing oil in 1,000 miles. Then I do whatever

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Man! Riding along and minding my own business. Barely 100 miles. Come back home and put the bike up on my lift and notice there's an oil leak on the right hand side. Not sure where this is coming from. Too tired. Will strip the bike down tomorrow and investigate. Not a happy camper :-(

Attachments

·
2016 R1
215 Posts
Don’t touch it!!!!! Take it to the dealer!!! It’s brand new!!!! If you mess with it they might not honor the warranty and might try to blame it on you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
very nice choice and love the color scheme. righteous bike and the R1M lettering is easy to see. I see a lot of guys trying to figure out which bike mine is
in traffic.

I would love to know more about how well that suspension works compared to my 18 R1. I'm gaining more and more confidence in mine.
Seems the more I throw at it, the better it feels.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Retorqued the bolts and that stopped the leak. Suddenly the engine trouble warning light has come on. Came back home to make sure there's no leak. Oil level is above the max mark. Could that be the issue? At the time of delivery, dealer said all fluids are topped off. Wondering if the mechanic put in too much oil.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I may have figured out the reason for the engine warning light. I ran the bike on the center stand to test for oil leaks before taking the bike out to ride. Apparently, when the bike senses that the rear wheel is rotating but not the front wheel, it sends off an error code. Can anyone confirm that this could indeed be the cause of the check engine light?

·
2016 R1
215 Posts
I may have figured out the reason for the engine warning light. I ran the bike on the center stand to test for oil leaks before taking the bike out to ride. Apparently, when the bike senses that the rear wheel is rotating but not the front wheel, it sends off an error code. Can anyone confirm that this could indeed be the cause of the check engine light?

Yes that happens. After my dyno time and any time I do chain maintenance with the rear stand the light comes on but once riding it turns off before I get out of the parking lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the confirmation TA. I might be wrong, but I think that in the 2018+ model, the light does not go off by riding. It needs to be plugged into a diagnostic tool and deleted. That's what happened in my case...over 8 miles of riding did not clear the light. Had to plug in a diagnostic to remove the light.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
8 Participants
randomwalker
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing