Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knew what the max speed for a stocker '98 is (uk bike). Mine topps out @ 164, I was told that they "should be good for 186" is this true and if so how do I de-restrict my baby?

Cheers Jay

Ps here is a pic of my bike if you are intreasted

Attachments

·
Like The Rising Phoenix
2,588 Posts
1998 R1's top speed stock... according to spec sheets is 174 mph...... now if you have a Cali bike then it might be diffrent........

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
Have you done all the modifications on your bike? If not, check the gearing on your bike. It might have a bigger front sprocket or a smaller rearsprocket.

Otherwise, a badly tuned top end register will cause the bike to not pull above a certain speed cuz it's just too weak.

·
Broke ass rider.......
98 Posts
If it is an INDICATED 164 then maybe you have a little problem....or a strong head wind. If its an actual 164 you are not too far off. I have yet to see a stock r1 break 170 actual.

·
Taming the power btwn my legs!
611 Posts
martinc said:
The only restrictors found on your model bike is in the tops of the carburetors;if there are some,just remove them by any mean necessary and regain your power.
I was actually going through your site today just reading up on things....expanding my mind. I came across how to derestrict 02-03 R1s by cutting/soldering wires, etc.... Now what exactly is that going to do? Will I benefit from it even if I have gearing done? (-1/+2) I appreciate your input. You are a very smart and helpful person! Thanks.

·
Taming the power btwn my legs!
611 Posts
Haha, wow, I'm dumb. U.S. R1s aren't restricted.

The world-->:2bitchsla<--me

·
Registered
607 Posts
QuicksilveR1 said:
I was actually going through your site today just reading up on things....expanding my mind. I came across how to derestrict 02-03 R1s by cutting/soldering wires, etc.... Now what exactly is that going to do? Will I benefit from it even if I have gearing done? (-1/+2) I appreciate your input. You are a very smart and helpful person! Thanks.

Derestricting the 02/03 R1 will just let it rev higher then normal, ie on my 03, i can rev it to 12500 revs now before the limiter kicks in, so in 6th gear i can go passed 299km/h, i not tried this yet.. but as i can rev higher, i dont feel the power dieing off after 10k revs like it use to, i feel it pulling strong till 12k revs now.. i did not cut and solder any wires, a friend of mine makes a plug in mod.. also it does not really hurt the bike to be in red line every once in a while ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went out on a very cold morning (- 2 deg C) and she pulled 169 this time. I must have been flat out for about 2 miles and she just was not going to go any faster than that! I am thinking about a turbo kit now, what do you guys think?

·
Like The Rising Phoenix
2,588 Posts
that might just do it.......... there will come a time where you will it the end of your gears..... i would try a less expensive way first..... like changing sprockets.......... possible drop a tooth in the front and raise it 2 maybe 3 in the rear and see what happens

·
Banned
70 Posts
164 tops out

unless u wanna lose top speed , dont go down one in front and 2 or three upin the rear, u will gain bottom end but lose top end thats the gearing i have on my 01 r1, but i did that gearing for wheelies, when i had 1 down in front and stock in rear i had my bike to 174 and was in 5 and it was still pullin hard, they claim that the speedo is off by 10% i think it is, my bike has a devil shotgun full exhaust with carbon cans , stage 2 jet kit and a k&n filter,and let me tell u my bike pulls hard till redline , i'd try dyno time.:scared :fork

·
3W M078
218 Posts
Jay_Guess said:
I was wondering if anyone knew what the max speed for a stocker '98 is (uk bike). Mine topps out @ 164, I was told that they "should be good for 186" is this true and if so how do I de-restrict my baby?

Cheers Jay

Ps here is a pic of my bike if you are intreasted
Jay, that is a sweet looking R1!!!

·
Turnin' & Burnin'
207 Posts
My 98 is stock except for a D & D slip on and makes 135 rwhp.

Since new, I've seen an indicated 180 numerous times with a high of 189 indicated.

I'd say my bike has come close if not hit a true 170+ mph.

I'm small though...5'3" & 150 lbs...that helps.:rock

·
I NEED MY RAY-BANS
231 Posts
INTERESTING FACT U GAVE US....YOU ATTEMPTED THAT SPEED AT -2 DEG C. YOU WILL NEVER REACH TOP SPEED WHEN THE AIR IS THAT COLD..... THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH UR BIKE, WAIT TILL IT GETS WARMER THEN TRY.

·
Do or do not, there is no try
2,671 Posts
martinc said:
Look for those stuck in the caps;if there are none,you got anothe rproblem or like stated,a diff. gear installed although i can make out the rear and it looks stock.
My R1 isn't restricted Martin, but were any Canadian R1's restricted for some reason? We don't have a 100 bhp limit or some kind of graduated bhp licensing so I can't see them being.

:beer

1 - 20 of 21 Posts