Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,end of season is almost here and that thing has presently 163 263 km or roughly 102 000 miles.......

Here are the obvious problems I have:

1-Camchain and tensioner need to be replaced

2-Need a valve adjustment

3-Need new exhaust gaskets

4-Leaking on clutch actuating arm seal

5-Leaking on countershaft sprocket seal

+the usual tires and brake pads.

Not bad...but that is only the obvious stuff;I may need new rings and perhaps other parts that I will only see when I"ll open the damn motor...but I"m confident.

Good stuff Yamaha.

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh,original parts that may make some blush with envy:

1-Replaced the clutch plates at 10k km,same one since

2-Original steering head bearings

Problems I had:

1-Tach clusters cant last on that thing (on my 3rd and its broken)

2-Freakin tires keep disappearing on me

3-Freakin brake pads are melting like [insert whatever suit your vocabulary here]

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
:confused: WOW, guess thats proof that Yamaha builds quality

·
Ride, eat, sleep - repeat
59 Posts
:thumbup With the shortened riding season we get here in Canada you must really do a lot of riding to rack up that kind of mileage. You are a REAL rider
I will ride till they salt the roads here (usually around beginning of December)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Amazing !

how many miles do you cover per day or do you just ride on the weekends ?

Also why did you mention rings ? has your bike started spewing a hint of smoke ?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Don't you work, that's like 2,000 miles a month if you wrode through winter? Respect, my 50 mile commute seems like nothing!

·
2006 R6R and new 2008 ZX10R
941 Posts
Impressive amount of miles...

How would you say from the engine power...Still there ?Feeling ???
Have you dynoed it ?

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
99 model,102 000 miles/5 years

20 000 miles/yr 7.5 months of solid riding/yr= 3k miles/month...but that is not the reality,I had a 6 months vacation in 99 (paid vacations!)I do repeatedly rides that make my body ache for days...mostly alone because the local guys seem afraid to ride or something......mostly on weekends,and in my month"s vacation I dont let go of the thing a dang minute...its not that much of mileage if you look at it.

The power is still there,but there is no real way to know how much is gone since it would go down slowly.....still can do acceleration power wheelies,can cork the clipons when I whack the throttle too hard,spin the rear.......normal stuff for a liter bike.

No dyno run for the last 2 years,since I figured the ramair stuff;I was suppose to do one this summer to see how much the nitrous is making,but the camchain started to rattle,and you dont want that thing to whip and destroy everything........

Oh yeah,it does the occasional black puff of smoke,but that happends mostly when I ride slow for too long,may be jetting related.....It does gulp oil,but at a lesser rate since the jetting is fihgured out (no more bogging) and the krankvent.....

What else.........

Oh yeah,I dont have much family nor friends (haha) and I"m planning to visit my Ontario neighbors more next year.

·
'nuff sed
1,085 Posts
A true die hard. I love hearing stories like this. Give's me hope. So tell us what kind of close calls you've had. Ever been down?

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Been down 2 times ON the bike...yeah;

2 lucky ones too.

1st one,I side-swiped a BWM driven by a teen which did a u-turn on hazards flashing lights just as I was passing...surprised the hell out of me too.....

2nd one was this past July when i was rear-ended by an asshole in a hurry......only scratched the paint job and frame sliders.

Bike fell off the stand 1 time in 99,was bumped 2 times too in 99;1 time never saw the event,the bike was brand freakin new,2nd time it was hit by a friend"s truck driven by one of his emplyee who did not bother to check around even if it was a bike shop.....just backed off and gassed it.

Plain luck in all events since the frame was untouched...not even the rear frame tweeked.

·
see you at the races and ride
3,906 Posts
I did 500 miles in two days last weekend (toyota 200 at WS) and I don't think I would do it again on the R1 as I still cannot feel my nuts. You my friend are nuts with 100k on your bike. Ride safe, Les

·
Cornering Enthusiast
1,747 Posts
To further prove Yamaha's worth..............for those that care (I know there are a couple of Warrior owners here....hehe), I just rolled over the 30k mile mark over the weekend. Had the bike for a year and a half. Runs like a charm. Damned rock chips on the tank pissing me off though....LOL

·
Not a total idiot,parts missin
667 Posts
You better come over to Ontario next summer Martin:yesnod
Toronto ride 3rd annual hehe....

Oh by the way do you have any broken gauge clusters left?
I got a crack in mine but still works just need a new face plate over the LED portion:mad:

Actually my ride might be a right off, I'll find out this week so far $8400.00 in damages :confused:
But no frame or motor damage, hope to by her back , custom paint here we come:jump

Highside

·
Fate is for the lazy
603 Posts
That's friggin' amazing, dude. Truly inspiring . . . and to think I was fretting about the measly 16,000 miles on my '01. Thanks for the work/parts breakdown. See? This is why this forum is great.

-R

1 - 20 of 38 Posts