Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my girlfriend loves my bike and begs to ride it whenever I come over. I also love my bike-just not when she's on it. To start, I can feel the suspension really compress when she's riding which makes the bike feel completely different(understandable). Next, it seems like she never holds onto anything so her helmet is smashing into the back of mine every time I stop or switch gears. She also feels like she's about to fall off every time I leave a red light. But I'm not driving like a maniac either. I try to tell her to hold on to me tightly but she just doesn't listen. Does anyone else have a wife/girlfriend who sucks at 2 up? I'm really tempted to buy her a 600 so she'll have something of her own to ride:roll:

· 14k+ posts and not one helpful
14,358 Posts
She'll get better at it the more she rides with you :fact

· kickin' at the darkness
10,318 Posts
pretty special talent to find in a woman, one who knows how to go with the flow and anticipate whats coming up, takes experience, just the same as learning to ride!! give her a break, she'll get there :thumbup

· Super Moderator
11,980 Posts

· Flyin Low
04 R6 Track Bike
561 Posts
it's super frustrating. have her put her hands on the tank when slowing down and bring them back up when cruising. give her a pat when you know you will be slowing down that way she will switch her hands. havent ridden with my wife in years because of our son but a little heads up goes a long way whether you think shes paying attention or not.

· kickin' at the darkness
10,318 Posts
but if anyone else has experienced someone else's helmet smashing into yours you know how frustrating it gets
never had that happen really, :dunno

:lol

· Sir Douglas
4,795 Posts
The hands on the tank when slowing down and coming to a stop is good advise. Takes most of her weight off you at a crucial time. Go slow and let her get comfortable with you as well. Good luck, it can actually be fun when she gets the hang of it. Hey, maybe if she likes it enough she'll get her own. :)

· Registered
125 Posts
She also feels like she's about to fall off every time I leave a red light.
I think everyone should experience riding as a passenger at least once. There's not a whole lot to hang onto back there and if the operator takes off from a light any faster than the average car next to him he's accelerating too fast.

Not saying that's the case here but average acceleration to a rider who is leaning forward with both hands on the grips is a whole lot more enhanced when you're sitting on the back.

· Thread killer...
2,551 Posts
There is no way to fix the suspension issue. You just have to deal with it. Even if your girlfriend is a 90 pound super model, the suspension just can't handle that kind of difference when it is setup properly for your weight.

As others mentioned, she will get better at it with experience. But if you can get her onto her own motorcycle, that is a win/win.

I took SloMo's advice.... :D

· Catch Me If You Can
495 Posts
There is no way to fix the suspension issue. You just have to deal with it. Even if your girlfriend is a 90 pound super model, the suspension just can't handle that kind of difference when it is setup properly for your weight.

As others mentioned, she will get better at it with experience. But if you can get her onto her own motorcycle, that is a win/win.

I took SloMo's advice.... :D
Lol, I've since lost that girl. Cause and effect.....I wonder :confused:

· Hope is what makes us Human.
8,538 Posts
This thread is useless with out pix of her :fact

14,358 Posts

14,358 Posts
Oh yeah! Give her some more time! Keep that one around!

· Premium Member
1,059 Posts
More time on the bike will solve all your issues she will get there, my mrs was just as bad when shs first started to get on my bike but now she is like a pro I would ride 2 up with her any where on any bike

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.