Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
It's alot cleaner now. Just three wires to sort out on either side. I assume original blinkers but ill study the diagram again after dropping off the wife's lunch and back at it

You think if my tach works I can just leave that black paid of wires cut short in it? It worked fine when I was running the bike but constantly humming

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 r1
734 Posts
Black is ground, blue red is signal from the switch/relay, brown is right I think and green is left. I forget where the rear tie on, I think they tie on to red blue.

·
Registered
2008 r1
734 Posts
You won't have dash lights when you remove the inverter, but it won't hum. I think. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I just looked at my bike and no, there aren’t small running bulbs in the headlight housing. Sorry for the misinformation

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
That speedo is probably done. I have no idea where he wired that inverter to, but, no ac voltage should be going into that housing. Unless he changed the bulbs in there? Are the backlights custom colored? Man that electrical is such a mess.

If it was in front of me I could sort it out in a few minutes with a multimeter and a soldering gun.
I hope it's not toast but we will see.

I may plug the tach into the bike now that the lights are off and see if it works properly. It was before I tore the bike apart minus that noise. I am going to open the tach and see what he did inside to wire that up first though.

·
Registered
2008 r1
734 Posts
From the looks of things the backlight went out and the inverter and some lights were used as a replacement. Everything should work but the backlight when you are done. But it won't hum anymore because there won't be an inverter going when you turn it on.

·
Registered
2008 r1
734 Posts
Also, the turn signals you have will work for testing, they will just rapid flash. I think the 'ballasts' were correction resistors to slow down the flash. All of my bikes have led's and no flash correction. They work fine but rapid flash like a bulb is out. It doesn't bother me. I feel like people notice them better since they are rapid.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Also, the turn signals you have will work for testing, they will just rapid flash. I think the 'ballasts' were correction resistors to slow down the flash. All of my bikes have led's and no flash correction. They work fine but rapid flash like a bulb is out. It doesn't bother me. I feel like people notice them better since they are rapid.
Honestly I'll love that rapid blink to them. I'll keep them then after I clean them up. As long as I have no more hard drain on the battery I'm a happy camper

·
Registered
2008 r1
734 Posts
I'm pretty sure you're good. Test the battery with the engine turning at 7,000. You should have 14.7 volts I believe. That will mean the stator is good assuming it has no continuity to ground (test ohms to ground with the bike off and the stator unplugged at the plug). You can also test the regulator rectifier by checking for ohms to ground on both sides. One side should have continuity the other side should not. If you meter has a diode setting you can check it across.

For the diodes, check pin to pin, not to ground, my apologies. If you have a diode setting you can check across. I don't test them daily and made a mistake in my description.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
I'm pretty sure you're good. Test the battery with the engine turning at 7,000. You should have 14.7 volts I believe. That will mean the stator is good assuming it has no continuity to ground (test ohms to ground with the bike off and the stator unplugged at the plug). You can also test the regulator rectifier by checking for ohms to ground on both sides. One side should have continuity the other side should not. If you meter has a diode setting you can check it across.

For the diodes, check pin to pin, not to ground, my apologies. If you have a diode setting you can check across. I don't test them daily and made a mistake in my description.
Tach is fine. But under my seat, the box behind the battery. Is that my cdi or my r/r? It's definitely fubared.

·
Registered
2008 r1
734 Posts
Also, check yellow black and make sure it is properly connected. 27 is the tac, it will be tracked through the board. Yellow black will be parked bottom left on the connector I believe, may be top right.

61 - 80 of 101 Posts