Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

My mistake or Malfunctioning Aim Solo2 timer?

Tags
lap timer
3K views 28 replies 4 participants last post by  FranksRed1 
#1 ·
I just used my new Aim solo2 timer for the first time over the weekend. The track I rode is in the database and the gps system picked it up automatically. I basically just turned it on before each session and let it auto-shut down after. When I got to the hotel I downloaded the data onto the computer software and it looks like it was only capturing a few seconds at a time , recording 86 laps??? If you can see the column labeled “test date” look at the time stamps

See less See more
#2 ·
I had to send mine back to get hardware fixed. It worked once and then stopped. Mine was GPS sync issue so not this exact problem BUT if it thinks you’re doing 30 second laps perhaps it’s a syncing issue, just different. I just got mine back last week and had it at the track on Friday and it worked flawlessly.

Thought I’d mention my issue so you know they have issues..

#4 ·
I contacted Aim, sent them my data and they told me there was some gps problem. They had me do a firmware update, remove all tracks from the unit itself then manually select tracks as needed.The tech told me they’ve been having problems with motorcycles and I may have to send the unit in for repair. I will get to test it out this weekend; I expect to be mailing it in..,.
Thanks for the post!

#10 ·
Well, I did the firmware update, deleted all the tracks on the device as instructed, and tried the timer again at the same track. Same malfunction; it recorded 10-20 seconds at a time, multiple times each lap. I called Aim and they had me send it in to "tell me what's going on"; I said I want them to fix it...don't really care what's going on. We'll see.....

#13 ·
Well, I sent the timer into Aim service location, arrived there last Friday. They called this afternoon and said they found a “couple of issues “ and fixed them. Told me everything is working the way it should be. That’s cool and all, but don’t they check these things out before shipping for sale? I spent another $40 sending it to them between shipping and insurance 😑
Anyway, They shipped it out today UPS and provided tracking #. I test it out in a couple of weeks.

#15 ·
Well, I sent the timer in and it was sent back and sat for a few weeks before I got to try it out at the track. Still doesn’t work; same issues. The tech support at Aim tells me that it may be interference from my bike?!?!? Tomorrow he’s having me make a track and test it in another vehicle to eliminate that possibility. Yay.😑

#17 ·
Yep, it’s mounted on the triple clamp. The tech from Aim tells me this is not that unusual. Not sure what they are going to do for me if it just doesn’t work with my bike. Seems like something they might want to include in the product description.

#24 ·
So Aim sent me a “loaner” unit to try on my bike; they felt sending me a new unit would produce the same problems and then they would have two used timers to deal with. I tried the loaner at high revs/speed and it worked fine. They gave me the option of waiting until they had a new unit to swap out with me (no time estimate given) or let me keep the loaner with a fresh case and full warranty. I chose to keep the loaner since I know it works and I get full warranty. It also has the magnets on the back which the newer one doesn’t. They will send me a shipping label tomorrow, I’ll send the timer to get a new case, and should have it back before my next track day at the end of the month. Whew!

#27 ·
Aaarrgh! What a pisser! The tech that was helping me mentioned they have been having issues with EM interference. Any chance you can contact Aim to help, or is it way too late?
What track are you riding? I just got to test my replacement timer at Carolina Motorsports Park today. It actually did not find the track automatically as it should have, but maybe the memory may have been cleared-I have to connect to the laptop when I get back home and check. I was able to “create “ a new track and save it. After that the timer seemed to work well. I checked with a couple of other riders that were using lap timers and the lap times match-up.
If you can’t get the Aim timer fixed will you looking for another one? Wondering what other gps timers are supposed to be decent.

#29 ·
Yep- these are not inexpensive items, and if they don’t work for the intended use…WTF?!?!
I read where iPhone cameras (latest few versions, anyway) can be damaged by mounting on a “high powered “ motorcycle from vibration at specific frequencies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.