Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Folks,
Hey! Nice to see this site back to work, is been a long time. A little intro to you all, I am living in Singapore and working in the Air Force. This morning when I when to work, I saw my R1 lying on the ground :eek: with my canvas on, when I push it back upright. I found my right mirror and MRA windscreen broken, the worst thing is my fuel tank dented..... :mad: It sucks! Lucky is my frame slider save part of my fairing and the most important my clutch. This is worst then I fall on the Malaysia Sepang circuit.

Few questions to ask, if comparing Yoshimura full system RS3 to Akrapovic slip on, which one is better? Cause in Singapore Yoshimura is quite cheap. the Akrapovic slip on is half of the price of the Yoshimura. If I use Yoshi, can I put back my stock can to the Yoshi header? (To avoid Traffic Police) So I will put on the Yoshi can when go for race. Thanks in advance. So photos for your enjoyment.

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
A full system is always better than a slip on. As far as your stock can on the yosh header I doubt it will work and that will throw your carb settings(jets,needles & mixture screws all out of whack if you set it up for the yosh can then put stock on it wont be right,granted it might work but just won't be quite right know what I am babbling about here?:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So which means I can use the Yoshi header plus my stock end for road use, but the bike output is abnormal. But once I put back the Yoshi Can then everything back to normal again? Will I damage my engine? And I may not re-Jet my carb. after the full system.
For the damaged to my bike, I managed to get my fuel tank respray and reshape. other scratches, I had no money to repair, thinking of changing the tail fairing to single seat tail. But that's money!!!!! Better spend on my rear shock.

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
If you go full exhaust you MUST re jet the carbs or you risk running to lean and burning the valves which means big money. I got my tail section for 220.00 but most people don't like it because they say it looks like GSXR tail but to each his own. I don't know what you weigh but I am at 160-165 and I have never had a suspension problem on the track,once I got it set up right. The Akrapovic full system is not loud enough for you to worry about the noise level,I will record a friend of mine on his R1 with Full Akra and post it here

·
R1 parking only
189 Posts
First, Sorry about your bike.
Let me see if I got this straight, you want to put Yosh header and install stock can for street ride? and than for your track ride you re-install your yosh can? :( ( I don't want to insult your intelligence so forgive me if I'm going over something that you already know) :) I'm just going from what you have wrote. Let's start with your first choice; Yamaha R1 has EXUP system to improve your exhaust flow (simply, increases your low to mid range bike performance) and is tuned at the factory for the stock pipe setting. Your stock pipe is restrictive in that it robs of full on performance potential. With your Yosh pipe RS3, less restrictive which means it flows better. however, you first need to do one thing in order for that Yosh pipe to work at it's optimum performance. Since you removed your EXUP system, (for full system) you must rejet your carb. that means your carb will require more fuel and air mixture to compliment your less restrictive yosh pipe. When completed your exhaust flows better, and little louder due to less restrictive yosh pipe On the plus side is you will gain some horse power in the mid to upper range. Low end range will suffer little (very little) since you no longer have EXUP. (you can't have both, meaning either top end performance or low to mid range performance with after market high performance pipe) Objective here is for the top end performance for the track use in the higher RPM where you will benefit the most.
Now, once you have your bike tuned and set, any changes you make to your exhaust will affect performance, which brings me to your second choice and that is removing just your yosh cannister and reinstalling your stock can. Doing this will result in your bike running very rich and your bike performance will suffer, because now you have rich fuel/air mixture in your carb with restrictive exhaust can. You will notice it when you take it for a ride.
Just a note; a full system will give you a much better performance over a slip-on and shave substantial amount of weight. On the other hand (any after market slip-on and keep the stock header with EXUP system) will give you some performance, sound, and shave some weight. Something to think about though concerning slip-on. Opinions vary but some riders say their bike runs just fine "AS IS" with just a slip-on without re-jetting and others say it will run better with jetting. I have 2001 R1 with DEVIL high mount carbon fiber slip-on and my bike runs very nice without re-jetting, whether at the track or just cruising around town.
Good luck and safe riding.
MADYAMA :mad:

·
slowest rider ..rides in front
1,148 Posts
Madyama

thanks for the info :D

you answered my question .. a slip on it shall be because I don't want to rejet my R1

Full Akrapovic + rejetting = $$$$$ :eek:

actually planning to get a Duc so all that investment in my R1 will not be worth it

·
R1 parking only
189 Posts
Glad I can help:D I understand about the $$$$on the Akropovic pipe. They sure are expensive, but worth the money because it's a quality product. Now that your thinking about getting a Duck, your not trading in your R1 for the Duck, are you? Say it ain't so... ;) Why not have both of the good thing! I would love to have a Ducati 998R in my garage but $$$$ so the Duck will have to wait a little longer. Mean time, although it's not the same as the Duck, I'm saving some $$$$ on the new RC51. Something about that V-TWIN. I will still have my R1 however, because I love my R1 :machinegu. The RC51 will be used for week-end open track days. Can't wait. I know you're looking forward to it. Can you say WSBK champ? You the man!:rock

MADYAMA:mad:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi i have a 2000 r1 , with a yoshi rs3 end can and dyno jetted with a kn , i have a full system akrapovic titaniam system , and a ram air that i have recently purchased , would you say its worth putting these on the bike , or flog them , i herd you cant use the jets from a dyno jet kit for a ram air box , THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE

1 - 9 of 9 Posts