Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Hope you are well through this pandemic. I purchased a Used Red R1 2015 Last Year here in the UK with 10k miles on it. Always took care of her, maintained oil levels etc.. but then I noticed a slight jerkiness in the 4th gear a few months down the line. I thought nothing of it as i thought this was maybe the electronics coming into play. Anyways the Jerkiness disappeared for a while then came back and persisted for a few weeks. I called up Yamaha here in the uk as I was aware that these bikes had an issue with the crank failing and the techy informed me that this bike has had the recall done at 800 miles so no issue. Anyways i was a bit silly to ignore the signs of jerkiness and continued to ride her, avoiding the 4th gear completely and always cruised in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 6th until I was able to get the issue sorted. I decided to take her to Yammy however on the way the worst thing happened. I completely lost the ability to change gears. I pulled over to the side of the road turned the engine off and called a buddy who advised me to see if it would go into 1st and ride slowly. I was able to ride back home very slowly with my hazards on in 1st gear. I just want to know what my options are 1) do i sell it at the expense of a considerable loss (2) Should I get Yamaha to do a complete engine rebuild? How much does this cost? Unfortunately, my dream bike turned into a nightmare bike and I am really sad as I am a young guy in my 20's who worked his socks off to buy this bike. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all and ride safe!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies gents, how much do you think it will cost to replace the trans? What if there is something else wrong with the engine due to the transmission possibly damaging something else? Thanks in advance

·
Venom X/O
25,650 Posts
Thanks for your replies gents, how much do you think it will cost to replace the trans? What if there is something else wrong with the engine due to the transmission possibly damaging something else? Thanks in advance
Engine is probably fine. Trans is probably gonna cost $2,000-$3000 between parts and labor for a full replacement but they may be able to just rebuild yours and save some money

·
Registered
263 Posts
These bikes had a gearbox recall- was yours done? I have a 2015 R1 USA model and it was issued and completed very early in its life. Dealer should have that on record-
Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
263 Posts
By the way, I never heard of a crank recall in this generation R1? Can anybody verify?

·
An R1 kinda day!
2015 Yamaha YZF R1 Raven Edition
1,003 Posts
These bikes had a gearbox recall- was yours done? I have a 2015 R1 USA model and it was issued and completed very early in its life. Dealer should have that on record-
Greg

He said it was done @ 800 miles.

Reactions: 1202067

·
Registered
263 Posts
Could be— if he had the gearbox recall done and it still failed he may have a claim with Yamaha-

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
i think that they meant gearbox recall was done and i think when he said crank failing he was talking about the posts from EDR in oregon who are pretty questionable to start with so i would just ignore all those posts, didn't seem to be an issue except for them and maybe one other person.

if the transmission has an issue you can rebuilt it pretty easy, pull the motor out and pull the side covers off, flip it upside down and pull the bottom half of the motor off the trans is right there it pops out and the shift drum will slide out the side. you can pickup a full good trans from someone who blew their actual motor from eBay for a couple hundred bucks usually. gaskets and stuff you would probably be into this for like 600 bucks. i don't know what your mechanical ability is but even if you pull the motor and you took it and the new trans to a shop you would save money. 4th gear is very rare to have issues with it, usually its second that goes. not being able to shift could be the mechanism that turns the shift drum if you end up looking at a full motor rebuild i wouldn't bother i would just buy a used low mileage motor. any year 15-21 motor will fit and work but you have to use your 15 throttle bodies on 20+

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you all for your replies, i should have been more clearer. What I meant was the gearbox recall had been done early in the bikes life. Not sure if I have leg to stand on still even 6 years later. To be honest my mechanical ability is not great so looks like a new R1 will be the solution. Probably part ex this one and see what happens. Cheers boys

·
Registered
5 Posts
My engine blew up. 2015 R1S 2,800km (1,740miles). I've found a big hole at the bottom of the engine block, close to the oil filter. Any idea what may happen?
Light Fluid Gas Auto part Muffler
Light Motor vehicle Rim Gas Auto part

1 - 20 of 35 Posts