Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yikes!! I have a 2015– one more thing to worry about. Can you tell us conditions that led up to the failure?
Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yikes!! I have a 2015– one more thing to worry about. Can you tell us conditions that led up to the failure?
Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,693 Posts
Are you sure about that?
Those pics aren't from op's bike, they are from the guy who posted up with the pic of the busted case. I can't tell if op had a crankshaft or a gearbox failure. Either way, if I was going out of pocket, I'd buy a replacement engine. Seems to be about the same cost as a rebuild. If mine were the one with the rod failure, I'd definitely just swap the motor. That looks pretty nasty.

Edit: I said transmission instead of crankshaft? Seriously? Oh well, I fixed it.

·
Venom X/O
25,674 Posts
Those pics aren't from op's bike, they are from the guy who posted up with the pic of the busted case. I can't tell if op had a transmission or a gearbox failure. Either way, if I was going out of pocket, I'd buy a replacement engine. Seems to be about the same cost as a rebuild. If mine were the one with the rod failure, I'd definitely just swap the motor. That looks pretty nasty.
Good catch, I missed the second poster in this thread that had a rod go, or crank fail, or both, or… who knows what went first that’s scary 😱

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,693 Posts
Good catch, I missed the second poster in this thread that had a rod go, or crank fail, or both, or… who knows what went first that’s scary 😱
Why is it always number 1? Does 1 get oil last? Kawasaki 636, zx10, Yamaha r6, r1, fjr, suzuki hayabusa, it's like it's always the number 1 big end that goes first.

Maybe when the bike is on the kick trash from the oil has a chance to get in there?

That one is particularly nasty looking though.

·
Venom X/O
25,674 Posts
Why is it always number 1? Does 1 get oil last? Kawasaki 636, zx10, Yamaha r6, r1, fjr, suzuki hayabusa, it's like it's always the number 1 big end that goes first.

Maybe when the bike is on the kick trash from the oil has a chance to get in there?

That one is particularly nasty looking though.
I’d have to look at the oil diagram to see where it enters to the crank first, but maybe that’s it? Maybe that section of the crank bearings gets the least oil and is subject to most wear. Pressure from the chain drive from the cam maybe? It is interesting

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,693 Posts
I’d have to look at the oil diagram to see where it enters to the crank first, but maybe that’s it? Maybe that section of the crank bearings gets the least oil and is subject to most wear. Pressure from the chain drive from the cam maybe? It is interesting
But, the cams usually drive from over by #4 or the center. I don't think I've seen an inline 4 with the cam drive on the left. Some singles do, but that's about all I can recall.

I think #1 gets oil first. I'm going to go with either washout from the oil pressure getting too high or from the crank whipping the oil on the stand, or with friction material from the clutch making it's way in when it's on the stand.

That's just a guess though.

I'll do some digging.

·
Venom X/O
25,674 Posts
But, the cams usually drive from over by #4 or the center. I don't think I've seen an inline 4 with the cam drive on the left. Some singles do, but that's about all I can recall.

I think #1 gets oil first. I'm going to go with either washout from the oil pressure getting too high or from the crank whipping the oil on the stand, or with friction material from the clutch making it's way in when it's on the stand.

That's just a guess though.

I'll do some digging.
I was meaning pull on one side wearing the other side. Similar to a lever

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,693 Posts
I was meaning pull on one side wearing the other side. Similar to a lever
Got you, the main journals always look fine, I mean, look at his mains, the look great.

Maybe it's from overfilling the oil and idling on the kick. The crank is supposed to be above the oil so it don't whip it. Number 1 would be the first to slap the oil in the sump on an overfill and bearing washout is a thing that can happen.

Regardless, rod failure is dangerous, expensive and it sucks.

·
Venom X/O
25,674 Posts
Got you, the journals always look fine, I mean, look at his mains, the look great.

Maybe it's from overfilling the oil and idling on the kick. The crank is supposed to be above the oil so it don't whip it. Number 1 would be the first to slap the oil in the sump on an overfill and bearing washout is a thing that can happen.

Regardless, rod failure is dangerous, expensive and it sucks.
Idle on the kick isn’t a bad thought. Mine has forever idled on a rear stand since it’s a track only bike.

It is nice to see that his crank counterweight didn’t smack the countershaft, which means that bushing that Yamaha snuck in is working

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
number one cylinder always seems to go first because the oil is fed into the crank from the right side. the cover that says CP4 on it and has the oil pipe going into it is the oil feed for it. the cover has an oil seal inside of it and the crank slider into the seal and that feeds pressure through. most of the time you see this its because someone has had that cover off, i have seen half a dozen of these where guys dropped the bike then replaced that cover and not the seal so the rods get almost no oil pressure and number one goes like that. other cases people take the cover off and mess up the seal while putting it back on and it takes a low longer to see this happen.

sell your transmission to the op and put that towards a new motor. you are looking at 2500 in parts to fix this then another 1000ish for bearings, seals, gaskets to rebuild this IF you do all the work yourself. makes more sense to go motor shopping.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts