Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Born to ride
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My R1 is a mess!

First off to make the story short, I was riding my R1 last spring, when all of a sudden my oil ran completely out of my bike.
What happened was my "Yamaha" oil filter, somehow blew the o-ring, and oil spilled out the bike, and i didnt know it untill it was too late.
Here is the kicker, it blew my crankshaft, rods,and all the main bearings.

The bad thing about this was that i didnt have the oil changed myself, the guy whom i bought the bike from a month prior to this incedent had it changed at a Yamaha dealership.

Now i am looking at about $2,000 dollars worth of parts.
The dealership says there is nothing they can do to help, and i dont have $2,000 dollars just to fork out.

Should I contact someone higher up in Yamaha and see if they can do something to help in anyway, or am i just screwed.

What would you recomened?

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
In my honest opinion,you are screwed;it took a month for it to loosen,so there is no way in Hell that you can prove that it was their fault...

A second-hand engine off ebay or such would cost you a lot less that $2k though :)

Maybe in the $600-800 range with unkown mileage.

Good news is that you can use an engine from 98 to 2001 without problems.

·
Super Moderater
11,751 Posts
don't hurt to call yamaha and voice your concerns since it was a OEM yamaha filter that falied? Right.

If all else fails you should be able to find an engine for 1000 or less. Better than paying 2,000 to rebuild.

Im checking my filter next ride

·
I EAT SKYLINES!
2,162 Posts
Just had a sudden thought when reading this thread... do any of you guys know if its possible to put an 02/03 engine into an 00 chassis?

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
gcain said:
Just had a sudden thought when reading this thread... do any of you guys know if its possible to put an 02/03 engine into an 00 chassis?
The costs involved are too high...you"d need it all,engine,wiring loom,tach cluster,all electronics,etc,etc.

Of course,getting all those at a too low price would only encourage thieves :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Re: My R1 is a mess!

web_maztor said:
First off to make the story short, I was riding my R1 last spring, when all of a sudden my oil ran completely out of my bike.
What happened was my "Yamaha" oil filter, somehow blew the o-ring, and oil spilled out the bike, and i didnt know it untill it was too late.
Here is the kicker, it blew my crankshaft, rods,and all the main bearings.

The bad thing about this was that i didnt have the oil changed myself, the guy whom i bought the bike from a month prior to this incedent had it changed at a Yamaha dealership.

Now i am looking at about $2,000 dollars worth of parts.
The dealership says there is nothing they can do to help, and i dont have $2,000 dollars just to fork out.

Should I contact someone higher up in Yamaha and see if they can do something to help in anyway, or am i just screwed.

What would you recomened?

you have 3 hours left on this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2463472744&category=35595

·
working on that new bike
4,592 Posts
try contacting Yamaha custumer service--the dealer will have the number for you--ask about a possibilty 1 time goodwill on at least the parts--they dont usually cover labor--i worked for a dealer in service dept.--this is standard practice--i have gotten bikes covered that owners jacked up and then brought to me and still at least got parts

just give it a try--never hurts
pm me if you have any questions
jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts