Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
My insurance eats me...
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek:

I pulled out of my road last night and openned it up down the road in first gear. The front wheel came up (obviously) and I was doing about 60 when I put it down. The second that tire touched down I was sent into a NASTY tankslapper! I've heard of R1's doing this but this was my first experience with it. It scared the heck out of me. It settled down after some gentle throttle and a little pressure on the back brake.

I thought everything was fine until I got home. The thing shook so hard that it knocked one my fork tubes loose! The right side tube slid up about 1/3 of an inch in the triple clamp! I still can't believe it. So I need to find out the torque spec's for the upper and lower triple clamp bolts. Does anyone have this info? Also, what should I inspect for damage? The hub, axle, bearings? It appears to be fine. Everything still feels tight but I want to be sure.

Thanks everyone for your help.

BTW, anyone want to start a group purchase for steeting dampers?:crash

·
Premium Member
6,230 Posts
You're one lucky f-ck.. sorry. But it's probably true.. I landed this 5th gear wheelie @ 110 mph and I was shook so violently I was OFF the saddle all the time until I eventually got thrown at the ground @ 80mph. That stopped my carrier this season. :crash

And now that I got the R1 (which is even more sensitive) I'm going to get the steering damper ASAP.

Btw, can anyone tell me if this is a good steering damper and if it's a good price:
Ohlins adjustable steering damper with Harris "916" style fitting kit. Cost £280 new, will sell for £100.
£100 = 150 US.
It is suppost to fit my R1 just fine.
Should I go for it?

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,889 Posts
Very good damper and price....jump on it. As far as Battles fork tube the pinch bolt had to be somewhat loose for that to happen,I just tighten mine with a 3/8 in drive ratchet with a fair amount of ass behind it and have never had a problem. GET A STEERING DAMPER,sorry for yelling but without one on the R1 you won't be lucky to many times. It should have come with one since the front end get light so fast on them. Did you have to pump the front brakes back up? I have had slappers so bad it pushed the piston back into the caliper(before the Scotts damper).:eek:

·
one liter asphalt eater
111 Posts
DAMPER NEEDED

Go buy one now....I really hope that you will heed the advice of the others on this forum. I almost lost a buddy because he was riding like a ****face, and then he hit a pothole in the road going about 270km/h. This tankslapper was unbelievable, and yet he somehow managed to control the bike until it stopped. After slapping him upside the head a few times, he realized his speed was retarded. (The limit was 60 km/h) The ****head was doing 210 over the limit. You go to jail for **** like that. Anyways, after that event, he bought a damper and is finally able to wheelie without coming down and doing a faceplant.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.