Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it appears i got a dud battery in my R1M.. Lets hope that's all it is.
Didn't ride for 2 days (gotta work every now and then :icon_sad:)
Went to start it and completely dead as a door nail. Got it tested only had 4.2V in it and 0 CCA..
Rang my dealer and they have footed the bill for a new one for me, but i got the impression that maybe just maybe im not the first with this issue..
Could be a batch of dodgy battery's..

No i didn't leave my ignition on because i had the steering lock on and no i didn't leave the key in it.. That's just stupid!!

Anyway if anyone else gets an issue leave a note in here..

· "What"
2,325 Posts
Didn't leave the parkers on?.On my Busa the steering lock can be used and if you turn it a little bit more,the parker lights on the front and the tail light will be illuminated.

· 2ND is the first LOSER!
760 Posts
So it appears i got a dud battery in my R1M.. Lets hope that's all it is.
Didn't ride for 2 days (gotta work every now and then :icon_sad:)
Went to start it and completely dead as a door nail. Got it tested only had 4.2V in it and 0 CCA..
Rang my dealer and they have footed the bill for a new one for me, but i got the impression that maybe just maybe im not the first with this issue..
Could be a batch of dodgy battery's..

No i didn't leave my ignition on because i had the steering lock on and no i didn't leave the key in it.. That's just stupid!!

Anyway if anyone else gets an issue leave a note in here..
My R1M had a dead battery also, got it home and ran it, Let it sit for 2 days and totally dead... I put it on the trickle charge overnight and got a full charge and have not had any issues since.. Very strange... I was thinking my dealer just didn't give it 100% full charge before pick-up.

· Build Quality Police
923 Posts
I was thinking my dealer just didn't give it 100% full charge before pick-up.
What I would guess as well. When the bike is delivered in the crate, the battery is unplugged. The dealer is supposed to FIRST charge the battery, THEN mount it and hook it up. I bet some dealers just hook it up and deliver the bike. Likely the same dealers that does not back off the overly thight chains...

· 2ND is the first LOSER!
760 Posts
What I would guess as well. When the bike is delivered in the crate, the battery is unplugged. The dealer is supposed to FIRST charge the battery, THEN mount it and hook it up. I bet some dealers just hook it up and deliver the bike. Likely the same dealers that does not back off the overly thight chains...
Very True LOL...This is why after delivery my bike NEVER goes back to the dealer, I do all the work on my bikes myself...

· Registered
19 Posts
dead as a door nail

went to start my R1M today battery is dead as a door nail , thought it was key registration problem but nope battery is dead I think that's what the problem is dealer installed battery without checking its charge.:dunno

· Registered
4 Posts
Got mine back today, and it was just a dead battery. Battery was tested and only had 6.5 volts on it. They checked out the charging system and it was operating as advertised at 14.34 volts. Shitty to have the battery die out like that after only having it for a week and putting only 384 miles on it. It was a beautiful weekend here as well, couldn't have asked for a more perfect Sunday

· Registered
19 Posts
took battery to Yamaha tech told me battery is gone. but then I thought a new battery with a "made in Japan" stamp on it I didn't believe him, that's impossible. Went to car auto store bought a trickle charger for 20 bucks charged the Yuasa battery for 10 hours after that it showed full charge and was in float stage. Installed the battery today cranked over the engine no problem, we'll see how long it lasts.

· Registered
709 Posts
If the M model has any small draw when key off you will kill the battery without driving it frequently. Most Ducati superbike riders are well aware of this and have to put the battery tenders on or we aren't going to have much luck starting...

I checked my regular R1 and it doesn't seem to be draining the battery very much without using the bike. That's good so far...

· Administrator
27,552 Posts
I have the same problem on my r1. I didn't use it for two days then tried to ride to work and the battery was dead. What should I do? Will the dealer pay for this? It was from mountain motorsport in Georgia
Yes, your dealership will replace it for free, as many have said above. :shake

· The R's are my addiction...
32 Posts
Hey there, just had something similar happen to me. Went to start it after I got her home, cranked over slowly and then gave up, weak battery right after the dealer pickup. Charged it the next morning (got home late that night) and she is fine so far, hopefully it was just an incomplete charge fingers crossed. I'll report back in a week and share my findings.

· Dangerous Dan
27 Posts
My reading is something is amiss here. I count eight (8) new R1M owners including myself who have had dead battery issues. I'm not sure how many of the 500 R1Ms have NOT experienced this problem. This statistic suggests an inexplicable and inconsistent parasitic drain, rather than a "bad battery". Hear me out...

I've got 450 miles on the new R1M over three weekends with 6-7 days sitting between each cluster of starts. I had no starting problems for 3 solid weeks. We know the battery has to be ~10.5VDC to turn the starter over so it's safe to say the battery was charging and holding charge for 3 weeks, over perhaps 40-50 starts.

Then suddenly the battery is at 3.6VDC after sitting for 6 days -wtf. That's not enough to even fire the ignition or run the fuel pump. I know because I jump-started the bike and it turned off immediately upon removing the battery jumper cable coming from a running car. I let the car's alternator charge the battery for awhile just to see if it was taking a charge and it climbed to over 5VDC in about 3 minutes.

I disconnected the jumper cables and connected the (factory-installed?) battery tender pigtail to my 12V 1.25A battery charger, and allowed it to charge overnight. The battery came back to ~13VDC. I started the bike and checked its charging system -all good.

Battery voltage next morning after sitting off the charger indicated ~12.97VDC. I disconnected the positive lead to check parasitic (key-off) current draw using a meter between the disconnected cable and positive battery terminal. I did this check several times and only saw ~3mA draw. So.. maybe clock and Keep Alive Memory? No matter, the draw is nominal.

The OEM battery is a Yuasa Factory-Activated AGM YTZ7S(F) rated at 6 Amp/Hr. No way that little amount of draw could drain the battery in the subject time frame. Unless it actually is a bad battery, but further diagnostics suggest otherwise.

The battery has since restarted the bike several times, with typical voltage drops and chemically recharged ~100mV each time. It even recharged ~100mV after running two successive tests using a battery load tester. Batteries are either good or they're bad -there is very little in between. This is not a bad battery in my book. And I suspect the shops that have replaced these batteries could recharge the removed batteries and test them "good".

If anything, the ability to come back from such a deep-cycle without issue is testament to the YTZ7S's durability.

So we don't have charging system issues, we're not leaving the keys on and yet we're seeing batteries deep cycling on 8 of perhaps 50 R1Ms (on this forum)? Did some phantom problem introduce itself into a huge percentage of these batteries on the boat ride from Japan? My Mark Twain statistics gauge reads "no-Bob".

My guess is there is something discharging the batteries, a parasitic (key-off) draw that is intermittent. I'm sure we'll know more as the days go by. For now, my battery is recharged and the bike is running fine, without showing abnormal key-off current draw.

· Dangerous Dan
27 Posts
One wonders about what could be drawing that much current, without visible or audible evidence; i.e. headlight on, dash panel alit, fuel pump running, etc.

The mechanic who prepped the bike at the dealer (very smart kid) wondered aloud about the GPS. I don't have a wiring diagram for the bike yet, but I doubt very much it's wired directly into a constant 12VDC power source. It's more likely wired with a relay between for its power, activated by Key On and/or the Run/Stop switch.

Could it be a Relay intermittently sticking?

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.