Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I made this over the last 2 days. It's a $40 setup if you already have all the tools you need. I wired it up so that it comes on with the key. I made the monitor bracket out of a piece of sheet metal and used one of the stock bolts by the gauges to hold it. A piece of foam supports it on the other side against one of the headlight dust covers.
EDIT: I forgot to mention that I opened the monitor and waterproofed everything with silicone aquarium sealant. This worked great on my garmin and it was mounted totally flat on the handlebars where water would pool on the screen.

The camera is flushmounted into the tucked license plate bracket. I used a hole saw "10mm maybe?" and used the included bracket plus glue and liquid nails to hold it in there. I haven't been able to test it on the road yet because we had a little snow storm today and everything is wet and nasty and cold.

I have one minor issue maybe you guys can assist with. I wired this into the ignition wire so that it comes on with the key, but when the revs go up there is a little static on the screen. I think this is because of increased voltage but I'm not sure. Is there something I can add in-line to stabilize everything at 12v?
My old garmin that I mounted on the headstock of the F4i had the same issue but it never damaged anything.

· 14k+ posts and not one helpful
14,358 Posts
Looks like a clean install man! I like it!

As for the screen thing... Are you positive that you have the ignition wire tagged? Ignition wire voltage isn't going to change based on RPM... Sounds to me like you have a tach wire or some sort...

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like a clean install man! I like it!

As for the screen thing... Are you positive that you have the ignition wire tagged? Ignition wire voltage isn't going to change based on RPM... Sounds to me like you have a tach wire or some sort...
I wired my garmin into the taillight running light wire and it had the same problem. It might just be some kind of feedback that only shows up on monitors. It's not a big issue, still totally useable. On my Garmin it was worse when revving in neutral than when I was actually riding. Hopefully this will be the same.

Here's the kit I used, but the price has gone up a little for some reason.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009RIK218/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Can you wire it directly to battery? I love the idea of seeing right behind you like that. We need all the protection possible on the streets.
You could, and it does have a on/off/input button. I wired it to the ignition so that I wouldn't ever have to do anything except turn the key. I don't know how much power it would drain if connected directly to the battery, I assume not very much but you never know.

Why would you want to do it that way?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.