Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2017 R1, I bought it with about 5k miles on it and I put 5k miles on it. I got it a year ago, today I took it part to check air filter and change plugs as I am installing an aftermarket exhaust. I found out there was gritty dust caked onto the back of the airbox underneath and behind the velocity stacks, there some dead bugs, and part of a dead leaf.

I am getting a new filter but it did appear the old fitler was installed correctly, and I do not think it has been apart since the factory.

What should I do? I cleaned it all up and ordered a new filter, but Im worried the engine has just had its life cut way short. Is this not that big of deal? The TB valves also have some rust on them not sure if that is normal, like oxidation on the top.

I could just call Ymaha, it looks like the rubber oring failed from factory. Looks defective.

·
64 degrees?? Pfff. I can do 90
125 Posts
It is what it is. Put in a filter and ride on. If it pulls hard I wouldn't worry about it

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Yamha R1, 2020 KTM 790 ADV R, 2015 Honda grom, 1992 Honda CR250R, 2008 Kawasaki KX450F
12 Posts
Put a airfilter in and send it!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'd remove and clean the TBs too. It's not critical, nor does it really affect performance much, but I'd clean it up and lube it just to prevent further rust/degradation.
As for life... unless rocks or other hard materials got into your cylinders, I don't think the organic material sucked in and expelled is going to be enough to really ruin your engine life.
As for this o-ring, you're going to have to post a picture.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Clean side looks clean.

Dirty side.

Oring has been glue it appears

This is the bottom part, it's deeply grooved and thin. I'm don't think it is made this way right?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The thin part is where the bottom of the filter pivots with the tabs into place. I'm 99% sure the previous owner was not into the airbox.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'd double check if that was glue or if it's just lubricating oil that got dirty. The grooves are normal. It's to help you seat the ring into position. I can't speak for the cut in the o ring, but if it irks you enough to want to replace it, it's a $8.08 ring on partsfish.
If the clean side is that clean, but you have grit and other crap in the air box, you might have a different issue, or someone took the bike apart and let it sit out for a while before reassembling it (hence the rust on the TBs). Do you live in a wet(ter) state?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd double check if that was glue or if it's just lubricating oil that got dirty. The grooves are normal. It's to help you seat the ring into position. I can't speak for the cut in the o ring, but if it irks you enough to want to replace it, it's a $8.08 ring on partsfish.
If the clean side is that clean, but you have grit and other crap in the air box, you might have a different issue, or someone took the bike apart and let it sit out for a while before reassembling it (hence the rust on the TBs). Do you live in a wet(ter) state?
I got a new seal today, no cuts and no grooves. I think when it was installed at the factory someone was on drugs and first pinched it which cut it so they glued it, then they pinched it again at the bottom and cut the groove into it with the filter. The bike is a 2017 with 3k miles when I bought it, no way any of that happened. The bike was poorly maintained though, the chain nearly falling off. I highly doubt they go into the airbox.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hard to say. But, remember this, guy at the factory doing the assembly cuts/misaligns the Oring or makes a booboo. He turns around and gathers another factory fresh oring and installs it.
guy who doesn’t take care of his bike, let’s the chain go slack, gets into the air box to install his new super duper POS K&N air filter, then removes it before sale and replaces the stock filter without knowing the trick to installing it without cutting/pinching it, then Mickey Mouses the rest of the install with some glue Instead of buying another just so he can sell it.
what I am trying to say is that the Yamaha factory assemblers know what they’re doing and have a quality control inspector over their shoulder double checking the work being done.
this is my opinion

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hard to say. But, remember this, guy at the factory doing the assembly cuts/misaligns the Oring or makes a booboo. He turns around and gathers another factory fresh oring and installs it.
guy who doesn’t take care of his bike, let’s the chain go slack, gets into the air box to install his new super duper POS K&N air filter, then removes it before sale and replaces the stock filter without knowing the trick to installing it without cutting/pinching it, then Mickey Mouses the rest of the install with some glue Instead of buying another just so he can sell it.
what I am trying to say is that the Yamaha factory assemblers know what they’re doing and have a quality control inspector over their shoulder double checking the work being done.
this is my opinion
You make a valid point except something is still off. The PO left the $300 OEM engine covers on the bike, the high dollar wood craft sliders all over the bike, and the $300 heli bars. Why go for a $60 air fitler to keep. Hell if I sell the bike I'll take all the farkle off.

I do agree with Yamaha's work, and its possible when it was serviced wherever it was done they messed it up. Is it possible for junk to get into the airbox via the fuel injectors? Seems raw unfiltered fuel is put directly into the TBs..

·
Registered
114 Posts
You make a valid point except something is still off. The PO left the $300 OEM engine covers on the bike, the high dollar wood craft sliders all over the bike, and the $300 heli bars. Why go for a $60 air fitler to keep. Hell if I sell the bike I'll take all the farkle off.

I do agree with Yamaha's work, and its possible when it was serviced wherever it was done they messed it up. Is it possible for junk to get into the airbox via the fuel injectors? Seems raw unfiltered fuel is put directly into the TBs..
Maybe there was something wrong with the filter and he didn't want to pay extra so he recycled the old one? When I sold my R6, I didn't care to strip it down for all the nice parts. A head gasket scare, which was later confirmed to be a failing coolant cap, spooked me into wanting to sell the bike. I didn't bother trying to keep anything I upgraded nice past that point. If it was being replaced, it was basic af.

As for the fuel, it's not unfiltered. The fuel is filtered by a filter inside of the pump. The gunk is most likely dust particles that mated to the oil that was already in the airbox and/or came off your air filter depending on design. If it's larger than just dust particles that are balled up, then you have a larger leak somewhere where things are bypassing the filter. Got a picture of that gunk?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts