Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· all you need in life
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone, Lately I have noticed that I have some huge chicken strips (about an 1inch) on each side on my rear tire.:eek: not to sound rude or anything, but, I really dont want to be given the lesson of ride faster, had that already.What I am looking for is for people to tell me whats the best techinque to eliminate them.Wether I should lean my body more or turn the bike in lower, you know that type of feedback.

Yesterday, I went out for a 45+ miles ride and was doing some nice turns, good throttle controls thoughout them, and at the end I look at my tire and just saw that I had barely scratched my chicken strips:mad: I really need some advise on this, Thanks everyone in advance who replies!! :thumbup

· My insurance eats me...
243 Posts
Actually, you shouldn't hang off as much. You want to stay upright with the bike as you turn, that way you lean the bike more. Or you could always dirt-track it around the corners. Keep you're body straight, stick a leg out, twist the loud handle, and slam that mutha down.

I wouldn't suggest option B but it would definitely take care of your chicken strips problem.

· Premium Member
6,305 Posts
sand paper mate :D

no really.. find your self a roundabout or a nice long corner and come up to say 60mph and lean enough to be able to kneescrape... then run like that for some time..

Where you live? Florida? ;)

· all you need in life
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not really in FL,,,, plenty of twistie up here in the tristate area (NY/NJ/CT) so I really dont have a reason to have such big freakin strips, if i lived somewhere like Arizona,(no offense to anyone out there) where everything is flat and straight, then I wouldnt let it bother me as much. but its not the case.

Say? is there any way of gettin rid of them without breakin the speed limit on the corners? this might be my problem, I take corners only 10 or 15 mph more then posted.

· all you need in life
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cool, but wont this cause a lowside if I accelerate to hard while iam cornering at a lean angle?I dont mean to sound stupid:iamwithst but i really dont know about this, sad to know that I have been driving bikes for 3 years.

· Registered
13 Posts
You really do just have to ride faster. I usually at least double the speed limit in most corners and accelerate just enough to just spin the wheel a little. And like battles2a5 said don't hang off as much. I have gone part way over onto the sidewall of a POS BT56-SS (IMO) rear by riding just how I have described.
Hope this helps!

· all you need in life
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would LOVE to do a track day......but , Iam not aware of any in this area.:cryin someone please post a place if you know any around here!!

· ...Is just so addicted to R1..
884 Posts
not to be a wise ass...

but, learn to ride that bike halfway the way it was designed to be ridden - chicken strips don't come off in 10 MPH corners

you can easily get down to the edge of your tires without ever coming close to sparking a peg or even worrying about dragging a knee- TRUTH. THe bike has more than enough clearance. Get some confidence and push yourself SLOWLY until you begin to understand the bikes geometry- it took me until about 400 miles or so until I started to 'get it' - I had to readjust to a different bike. Take your time and don't be a pussy- lack of confidence is a big part of why so many liter bikes go down.

· Lock & Load...Fire When Ready
27 Posts
R-1 to N-V... You need to look into either Team Pro-Motion or NESBA at Pocono Raceway. I've been a memeber of both for a number of years now, and it is the ONLY place to lose your "chicken strips". Check into my post in the NY/NJ riders thread in the clubs section. I'm hoping to get the R1 riders in the area to hook up at a track day this summer. Or maybe we can try to work on some technique by going for a ride some time.

· Life is Fatal
581 Posts
Don't be in a hurry to be a hero! Learn slowly and live! Get thee to a track then let your skills and confidence take you where you need to go. Speed and lean will come with time. You have a lifetime to learn to ride like a God, and you will LIVE if you take it slowly.

Trying to get rid of the strips just to hide them is just a form of posing. Your chicken strips should disappear naturally as you earn them. All else is just a BS shortcut that isn't worth anything.

Right now your strips reflect your ability. That's fine, everyone here was there once and a lot still are. Don't focus on them. Focus on the whole package.

· INVICTUS
15,201 Posts
Swedie said:
sand paper mate :D

no really.. find your self a roundabout or a nice long corner and come up to say 60mph and lean enough to be able to kneescrape... then run like that for some time..

Where you live? Florida? ;)
[/QUOTE

That's it swedie, I'm taking back those Disney World tickets I got you . BTW , how cold does it get in Sweden in say,..................DECEMBER. Enjoy these next couple of months of riding. You don't have long. I can go all year long. ( When the foot heals):lol

· I ride cause I have no wings..
203 Posts
No truer words have been spoken by the.....Your strips reflect your current riding ability, CURRENT. Your strips will fade as your confidence/ability increases. I once unseated the tire bead from the rim while pushing an R6 on track day. I was so hard and low into this one turn at Talladega I thought I was a grave digger. That beas tthat we all ride can take more than we can dish out in a curve, as long as you KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING. 3 things happen when you ride outside yourself:
1. You get damn lucky
2. You get hurt
3. You get killed
You wont always get lucky.....

Take your time, learn your machine/self (the 2 should be as one),and be careful!!!!!

good luck

Rageous 1

· R1's revenge
62 Posts
chicken strips hmm..

gonna need a good helmet..boots..full leathers..frame sliders..solid pegs...bar ends, gloves and some case covers..
taking your lowers off and making sure your mirror pivots are loosen'd a bit don't hurt either.

leaning the bike over won't do very much...neeed to feed in plenty of throttle while it's on it's side, to cause some abrasion..

and unless you ride at full bollox for about an hour or soo on the street, your not gonna boil them.

track days, or abandon'd roads are your best bet.

· Registered
500 Posts
Superbike school

I would recommend superbike school.
http://www.superbikeschool.com/

You will ride out of there with a lot more confidence and the chicken strips be gone for ever :D

Its like few had posted previously. You should your time and take you bike to a track. It is too dangerous on the road as there might be an on coming traffic where you try to accelerate out of the corner and go a bit wide. At least on the track you don't have to worry about traffic.

But if you want to learn how to get the strip off fast and safest way then go to superbike school and some thing like it.

Have cornering :)

· My R1 eats nothing yet.
89 Posts
If only gassing it hard out of twisties resulted in lowsides.... you'd be more likely to get a nasty highside.

Why do you want to get rid of your chicken strips? For the love of God don't go out onto the roads with that goal in your mind.

When you're comfortable with the bike and with your own abilities your chicken strips will be gone, assuming you're still happy enough to really lean the fucker.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.