Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· R1S4
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.. I appreciate any help in advance. The bike is my fathers 1995 suzuki Dual sport 650 dirt bike... It was stolen form him about a month and a half ago. Just two days ago he got a call that they found the bike in PA.. Stolen in NY. Anyhow we brought it home.. They had put a new ignition in the bike.. So i took the ignition out and vrought to a locksmith. they were succesfull in making me some keys. The ignition is back in and im getting good power BUT the bike is not turning over... I have an R1 but Ill aldmit i dont know much about the mechanical stuff. the bike is turning on fine and im hearing it try and start but it wont turn.. there is fuel in the bike..What else can i do/ try... Im trying to get the bike started ASAP for my father since he has no other means of transportation.... Any ideas//// Suggestions!!!. Thanks
Dan

· Registered
106 Posts
what color is this dirt bike... i had my bike at a shop up in reading pa where they powder coated the bike for me...i know the owner very well and while i was there some guys brought a dirt bike in just like you described...well the shop owner is good friends with lots of cops and he called to have the vin checked on the bike and turned out it was stolen from ny...and when the guys came to get it they got arrested...guess they brought it in trying to get new ignition and stuff put on but gave all different names...... i was just curious

· South Side Hitmen
2,222 Posts
do you have spark....maybe the plug is fouled. Take the plug out and see if it is soaked with gas, if that's not it try turning the bike over with the plug still in the wire/boot but not in the spark plug hole, let it touch the head of the engine and turn the bike over and watch for a spark. warning.....do not hold wire/boot while turning bike over, try and wedge it up against something.

· Registered
106 Posts
yeap i am pretty sure that its the one.....good thing that shop is honest...i know he was mad at the workers that day for taking in the bike and not noticing all the pop key holes...but hey if they did not take it in you may have never got it back...so its good there are shops that watch out for stuff like that and not look at just money...by the way i was thinking sparks also...

· R1S4
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow that is a wild story... I also heard that they had caught the guy/s. I dont know what they were trying to do and the shop because it seems they had already replaced the ignition but anyhow at least we got the bike back...its a little banged up but seems like once i get it started should be fine..

· R1S4
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, well i took out both plugs and checked them.. I didnt see any spark. I tried cleaning them and burning off some of the fuel i smelled but nothing. I wont be ablke tyo get new plugs until tommorow.. Any other suggestions as to what it could be or do we think it will turn with some fresh spark??

· Registered
261 Posts
if the plugs are bad and you wana check for spark you can use a screwdriver. place the end into the wire, hold the handle (plastic) and put the screwdriver just off of something grounded. the spark should jump that. dont hold it too far away cus the spark will shock you. you know when your too far away LOL. closer is better then farther. if you get spark its your plugs that are shit. if no spark i dont know too much about bikes but nomaly you would check for spark back at the coil. for what i have learned so far in the past 6 months is each cylender has a coil. i would try checking all wires and coils. is there a fues that goes to the coils?

· R1S4
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok i just replaced the spark plugs... and nothing :no
So now Fuel.... When trying to start the bike.. it trys but doesnt sound like its getting any fuel... The fuel cap is locked and i dont have the key... I hear plenty gas in the tank but how do i check to be sure im getting fuel flow??? What else could it be?? Battery is good.. HELLLLP!!

· Registered
261 Posts
geo990 said:
ok i just replaced the spark plugs... and nothing :no
So now Fuel.... When trying to start the bike.. it trys but doesnt sound like its getting any fuel... The fuel cap is locked and i dont have the key... I hear plenty gas in the tank but how do i check to be sure im getting fuel flow??? What else could it be?? Battery is good.. HELLLLP!!
you changed the plugs but did you check for spark? did you physicaly plug a plug into each wire (one at a time) and turn the bike over to check for spark. If you have already done this and there is for sure spark, you can pore a bit of gas down in each of the carbs. not a whole lot, but just some. if your not comfortable with how much to pore in, use some kind of starting fluid. spray that down in the carbs per directions. if the bike starts, runs then dies, its probably a fule issue. you then have to trace it back. check the pump. check the fuel filter, dont know about R1's but can you check the float bowls by undoing that bottom screw a bit? see where you dont have fuel. If it doesnt start with fuel added right in the carbs and you have spark, then sounds like something else is wrong. maby timming, wires on the plugs mixed up, um thats kinds where it stops for me on bikes. what controles timming on a bike? no distributer right... :dunno dont know much about bikes valving but if you do a compression test to find if you have good compression. thats all there is to a motor, spark, fuel, compression. making it run well is a different storry. good luck

· R1S4
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok .. ill admit im still a little confused about how you would like me to check for spark... Keep the plug (which is now new) in the coil and put th emetal end of the pug close to something metal. Turn the engine and check for spark.. Do i have this wrong?

· Registered
261 Posts
geo990 said:
ok .. ill admit im still a little confused about how you would like me to check for spark... Keep the plug (which is now new) in the coil and put th emetal end of the pug close to something metal. Turn the engine and check for spark.. Do i have this wrong?
a bit off, you will got a nice shock if you do that...LOL
ok, put the plug in the boot like its pluged in. contact anything steel on the plug to anything grounded on the bike, the block works well. then you can let go of the wire or hold on, it doesnt matter. then crank the bike and look for spark in the plug. it should be a nice strong spark across the electroid and the end of the plug. word of advice, after you stop cranking, hold the plug on the block a bit longer to make sure it did unload the coil. if you take it off too soon and the coil fires and the plug is not grounded you will get shocked...lol, its ok to get shocked, you will get used to it...i already have....not too bad

· Registered
261 Posts
thats kinda all i know about bikes. i would guess there are seporate coils correct?. if neither of them are givving you spark then it would be assumed that its maby the power to the coil. check the coil and see if you get a 12V and ground and there should :)dunno ) be a signal wire of some kind. again, sorry thats kinda where my bike know how stops. Im sure you can fix it yourself, just gota find out why you dont have spark. maby make another post about what controles spark on a carbed bike.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.