Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have this 2000 R1 i bought a couple months ago and basically tore it down to repaint and fix a few little things and resell to make some money. Well i finally got the pieces back from the body shop and put the tank on only and go ride it just for fun because it was a nice day for december in Indiana. Well we just put a little bit of fuel in it to try it out. Bike runs and rides fine. I rode it for about 10 minutes around the neighborhood. We put the tail, undertail, hugger, front fairing and headlight, and front fender on and left the rest off because i have to replace a couple scratched engine covers and change the oil. This was Wednesday (2 days ago)

So i go to start it today to run and fill it up with gas and stabil. Well it starts no problem, but if it is in neutral and the kickstand is up and i let the clutch out it dies. WTF! So i am making sure the kickstand is up over and over because that is the only thing that could kill it. i try holding the clutch in while running and just clicking it into first, that makes it automatically die. Everything was working great wednesday. And it still starts up and runs great as long as i have it in neutral and the clutch pulled in.

Can someone help me here? All i can think of is something is messed up with the kickstand. Never had a problem with it until now. It has been rode a few hundred miles since i have had it. Any ideas?

·
THE MAN
3,743 Posts
there is a common relay under the seat that the sidestand/neutral light/clutch lever go through.

they go bad from time to time. Borrow one from a buddies bike, swap them out and see what happens.

It could be just a sidestand or clutch switch, but I have found this to be the problem more times than just a single switch.

I want to say the part is the same between the 98-01 R1's and the 99-02 R6's.

·
THE MAN
3,743 Posts
You won't need any other ideas :) lol

really it's most likely that little relay box. Pretty common for these bikes.

·
Banned
31,510 Posts
i agree , it WILL be the sidestand safety switch or its relay.

·
Go Gators!
149 Posts
Definitely give the connector for the kickstand a check too. Just follow the wire up from the kickstand to where it plugs into the harness.

When I overhauled my tranny, I didn't plug that connector in completely in and It cam loose while riding. It ended up leaving me on the side of the road and of course it was the hottest day of the year and I had full leathers on. :fire

You may have pulled on the wire while taking your fairings on and off and loosened it.

Good Luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.