Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
My First Bike!!
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:hellobye

Im in the market for a Mesh type jacket but want to get one that offers the most protection. I know their not as good as leathers, but I need something for the hot Florida summer to ride in town and to work. I will happily sweat in leather when I’m out riding aggressive but cant get to work all drenched. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help :bow

Im kinda leaning toward the Vanson it seems to be high quality:

"The combination of 1000 denier woven Cordura nylon and 1000 denier knitted Cordura nylon mesh, backed with leather at the impact zones, provides the best alternative protection to full weight garments. This jacket comes with armor in the elbow forearm, shoulder, back protection, two zippered pockets on the front and two zippered interior pockets. Armor adjusting straps at the inner arm allow you to cinch the armor to a custom fit."

Attachments

·
For the Love of.........Riding
6,718 Posts
I have a FieldSheer Titanium Air jacket with full CE approved armor for sale. It's black/silver size medium (42-44 chest)

$50 bucks + shipping

·
the Green Bastard
6,974 Posts
I've got a Joe Rocket Phoenix and I like it a lot. Most of my friends have them too. They're really nice as far as breathability but protection obviously isn't as good as leather, but you don't need some guy off the internet to tell you that. Mine has held up well (it went through one rolling burnout miss-hap and did OK). All in all, I'd reccomend one, and would buy one again myself.

·
The World's Laziest
1,703 Posts
Like that Vanson you've posted, go something with bits of leather on it. Trust me, all fabric is bad news. At least with the leather on vital parts of the jacket it won't instantly eat through your jacket and into your skin. :2bitchsla

I crashed with my Fieldsheer Sonic Air jacket awhile back and the fabric part didn't hold up too well. I could certainly see all the road rash on the leather. Where the fabric hit the pavement, it ripped completely through to my shoulder pad.

I would difinitely go with something that has leather on it not 100% fabric.

·
THEY CALLED ME SWEETNESS!!!!!!
6,538 Posts
If you're going to spend the money for that Vanson jacket, you may as well pick up a fully peforated leather jacket. I was going to get the Vanson, but couldn't justify spending that much on mesh material...

$250 :eek:

·
The World's Laziest
1,703 Posts
R1Fanatic said:
If you're going to spend the money for that Vanson jacket, you may as well pick up a fully peforated leather jacket. I was going to get the Vanson, but couldn't justify spending that much on mesh material...

$250 :eek: Forget that crap...you're just paying for the name. There's a lot of fabric mesh jackets out there that cost half that. Hell, for $250 I'd do what R1Fanatic would do, pick up a perfed leather jacket. :butt

·
6,538 Posts
shyong said:
$250 :eek: Forget that crap...you're just paying for the name. There's a lot of fabric mesh jackets out there that cost half that. Hell, for $250 I'd do what R1Fanatic would do, pick up a perfed leather jacket. :butt
Well, maybe I should clarify. My perforated leather jacket is a Syed Custom, and it cost about $650! :lol But what I meant is you can get a cheaper off the rack perf. leather jacket for not much more than $250, and it will offer 100% more protection!:fact

·
My First Bike!!
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
R1Fanatic said:

Thanks to all for the input :thumbup

I was originally looking at a Pref. Leather but the ones I tend to like were all over $500 :eek: I'm going to get one once I start going for some Track days and for more aggressive riding on the street. Plus I’m not sure how good they are in 95 degree weather. As far as the Vanson I found it for 199 and thought it might be worth the extra bucks if it’s a sturdier jacket. I definitely want one with leather and good armor in all the important zones. After spending a month tending to a good friends road rash, I definitely want to increase my odds of survival! I also like the Fieldsheer Mach 2 but I think the Vanson looks better.. Maybe I should just flip a quarter or something :D

·
OG Moderator
996 Posts
SoBeBob said:
Thanks to all for the input :thumbup

I was originally looking at a Pref. Leather but the ones I tend to like were all over $500 :eek: I'm going to get one once I start going for some Track days and for more aggressive riding on the street. Plus I’m not sure how good they are in 95 degree weather. As far as the Vanson I found it for 199 and thought it might be worth the extra bucks if it’s a sturdier jacket. I definitely want one with leather and good armor in all the important zones. After spending a month tending to a good friends road rash, I definitely want to increase my odds of survival! I also like the Fieldsheer Mach 2 but I think the Vanson looks better.. Maybe I should just flip a quarter or something :D

Look for Teknic...I got mine from eBay for $100, fully perf'd leather. :yesnod

·
but this one goes to 11
273 Posts
i have the perf vanson jacket...
cobra 2
perf front
leather sleaves and back
my main concern was hot summer days but this has
lots of vents for air flow
you can get a liner for colder weather
can use body armor
love it
love it
love it
was pricey - but great fit & very adjustable

·
Registered
200 Posts
It totally blows me away that guys will drop 10 large on a bike, another 1K on insurance for the year to drive the bike on the road. Then they bitch and moan about the prices of items that are going to SAVE THEIR LIVES and protect them!!!! WTF??

Rant off!!

As far as textile/mesh jackets go, the Alpinestars T-Stunt Air FLo is a really good choice. Looks tits, tons of armour, and not as wimpy as the joe rocket phoenix crap.

·
6,538 Posts
Lobo86 said:
It totally blows me away that guys will drop 10 large on a bike, another 1K on insurance for the year to drive the bike on the road. Then they bitch and moan about the prices of items that are going to SAVE THEIR LIVES and protect them!!!! WTF??

Rant off!!

As far as textile/mesh jackets go, the Alpinestars T-Stunt Air FLo is a really good choice. Looks tits, tons of armour, and not as wimpy as the joe rocket phoenix crap.
who's bitchin' :confused: and moaning? What's wrong with trying to get the most for your $$$?

·
wh00p!
412 Posts
Where is the best place to get a TZ-1?? I really like the jacket, deal that I am buying my 04 from can get it for $270, not much of a deal since i am buying a damn bike from them!

·
My First Bike!!
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lobo86 said:

Rant off!!

:2bitchsla

Well I am getting a AlpineStars S-MX airflow that retails for 650 for when I’m out riding hard. I just need to get a good Jacket to wear putting around town and going to work in traffic in the mornings> I did check out the T-stunt mesh looks cool just worried about the white parts getting nasty...

:finger Oh and I only paid 6000 for my ‘02 with a 4yr warranty

·
My First Bike!!
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
aryan said:
Where is the best place to get a TZ-1?? I really like the jacket, deal that I am buying my 04 from can get it for $270, not much of a deal since i am buying a damn bike from them!
The best price I've seen is 249 at Sinster Racing. Let me know if you find a good place to buy, I want to get some AS stuff soon.. :)

·
INVICTUS
14,902 Posts
I live in Fla too so you can't use the heat as an excuse. I have a perforated Teknic speedstar and I also have a Joe Rocket mesh and leather. But yesterday was the first time in about 6 months I actually wore the Joe Rocket. Why? Because I can't see how anyone could trust in the mesh over leather when you could get leather for either a few dollars more . Teknic Lighting 03's are going for 200 bucks on e-bay. And I could'nt say I'd get a mesh be it Vanson or anyone else before I got a decent perfed jacket if one were availible for equal or close in cost. I just can't say I trust the mesh . But on a side note they did have Arlen Ness Air mesh armored jackets at the speedway yesterday for 59.00 on closeout.

·
we meat again
18,563 Posts

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts