Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
EDAWG
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a ticking noise out of what I think is a fuel cylinoid. I get a ticking noise on idle right as I roll on the throttle.. I have narrowed it down to this part as you can feel the vibration of each tick with your hand on it...is this normal for fuel management?

It sits right behind my headers. Can someone help me identify this part.. here's a couple pics.. any feedback is appreciated...

·
Action figure sold separately
12,213 Posts

·
EDAWG
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
i know about the consistant tick.. this is definitely in this piece, its a 1 time tick on roll on...

letting the idle get low and gently rolling on the throttle it ticks on response.. i can let off.. roll on over and over.. it ticks at the same spot everytime.. and its only one tick.. almost like something was arching but its not..

closest thing i can say is it sounds like a plug arching..

explain the AIS system for me please... or any links to read up on it? is this not the air system that pushing to the airbox ? can I not remove it ?

·
12,213 Posts
It flows some intake air into the exhaust header to burn some of the unspent gases in the exhaust to reduce HC emissions, and is removable. Graves sells a set of 4 machined aluminum plugs that seal off the openings for $20, they are a press fit. WOrks nice. The 4 "elbow" fittings into the head near the exhaust header pipes are a PITA to remove, they are a press fit also. Not too difficult, but you have to work them back an forth a while to get them out and apply a little muscle as you twist and pull them out. You'll definitely get some forearm pump, but once they are out, the rest of the job is a piece of cake. I'll look for the thread with the pics on the installation.

·
12,213 Posts

·
EDAWG
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can I simply remove this AIS, which we have to this point.. without going into the carbs and removing the restrictor plates? if so, i'm all set, who can I buy some plugs from? directly from Graves motorsports or another distributor?

·
EDAWG
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help today Eyespy, good chatting with ya.. got all the press fittings out.. got it all apart, waiting on the graves plugs to get here...

After pulling the headers and part off, here's what she looks like..

The AIS itself.. not sure if other models have this but its worthless for the track...

·
12,213 Posts
Nice talking with you, too EA, anytime. Pic looks exactly like it's supposed to. Plugs go in easy. Seat each one with a center punch and hammer with a firm tap. :thumbup

·
Bald headed dork
4,086 Posts
Slightly off topic here guys, but do you know if anyone makes a set of 'caps' that can be installed over the AIS elbows? I guess what I'm getting at is that I'm a little nervous about tapping the threads like what's required for Ivan's AIS removal kit and I'm not so sure about installing the Graves plugs either. Can the Graves plugs pop out since they aren't 'held' in place?

Thanks for any assistance you guys can offer.

S.

·
EDAWG
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got the elbows out relatively easy... use a screw driver and slide it into the bottom of the elbow... rotate between sliding it left to right and then up and down (slightly), be careful going up and down and it puts a little pressure on the aluminum head.. mine came out in about 5 mins....

as far as the graves plugs go, they are tappered also... I have a set coming from a WERA racer who said he froze the first set he did for about 30 mins then applied a very VERY light coat of grease on the ends.. as they heat back up they will expand and seal off the hole nicely.. just my .02 but I would go with the graves since they are made and cut to size specifically for this use..

·
Bald headed dork
4,086 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. Since the Graves plugs are hammered in place, how hard do you have to bang them in? I guess I'm a little concerned about hammering on the plugs. I don't want to damage anything. Do I just hit them with a center punch until I have a small, ~ 1/16" to 1/8" indentation in them?

Thanks!
S.

·
EDAWG
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, first let me say good thing you threw that flag up.. yes, you don't want to "hit" them at all... you can press them in about half way with your hands from what I understand, then barely tap them in with a punch and small hammer yes... they should fit perfect.. just freeze them up for about 30 mins or an hr to let them shrink enough to slide them in good before tapping... :thumbup

·
Bald headed dork
4,086 Posts
EM,

Thanks for the info. How can I tell when they are in far enough? Is there a line on them indicating how deep they need to be pressed in the head? Do you have any close ups showing how deep yours or Eyespy's are installed? Again, I thank you for your time.

Scott

·
Bike No. 86
7,438 Posts
can you just remove the A.I.S. on the 02-03 R1 without upsetting the computer on the bike?. and then install those graves caps?.

a mechanic said that if i removed the ais that it would upset the bikes computer???

eyespy?.

·
EDAWG
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tron said:
can you just remove the A.I.S. on the 02-03 R1 without upsetting the computer on the bike?. and then install those graves caps?.

a mechanic said that if i removed the ais that it would upset the bikes computer???

eyespy?.
he is correct, The air/fuel ratio's are completely off afterwards. Make sure that you use a vac plug on the bottom of your air box. If you don't it will completely throw your tuning off.

I just thru a USB PIII-R on it and had it tuned up at HFD1 here in GA. He's very good and knows how to keep the CO and CO2 levels right....

eyespy was a huge help when I did this mod, talked to him several times on the phone.

you can see the mod on my website here:

http://trackfanatics.com/rebuild.html

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.