Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 R1
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I flipped my '00 R1 last Dec. Destroyed the upper fairing and headlight housing, and dented the front of the tank. A reasonably priced, used, undamaged upper fairing is extremely rare. And a new one is almost half the price of the discount complete fairing kits. (Yes, I've heard many cases of the fitment being really poor.) So, first question is, has anyone used plastics from www.fairingmaster.com?

Second, since the frame is polished and looks like chrome, I've always wanted to switch from the blue w/white "F" plastics to gloss black plastics. However, the tank would be the wrong color. Some of the kits on the site I mentioned above include a "race track tank cover." I've never heard of a racing tank cover. Does it completely cover the tank? If it would hide all the blue, I think that would be a good, affordable way to change the tank color while still being able to be switched back to the stock color. Also, would the tank cover destroy the surface of the original paint on the tank due to engine and road vibrations?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,655 Posts
I flipped my '00 R1 last Dec. Destroyed the upper fairing and headlight housing, and dented the front of the tank. A reasonably priced, used, undamaged upper fairing is extremely rare. And a new one is almost half the price of the discount complete fairing kits. (Yes, I've heard many cases of the fitment being really poor.) So, first question is, has anyone used plastics from www.fairingmaster.com?

Second, since the frame is polished and looks like chrome, I've always wanted to switch from the blue w/white "F" plastics to gloss black plastics. However, the tank would be the wrong color. Some of the kits on the site I mentioned above include a "race track tank cover." I've never heard of a racing tank cover. Does it completely cover the tank? If it would hide all the blue, I think that would be a good, affordable way to change the tank color while still being able to be switched back to the stock color. Also, would the tank cover destroy the surface of the original paint on the tank due to engine and road vibrations?

Thanks in advance
By the time fairingmaster charges for shipping they are inline with the pricing for auctmarts or monster. Makes sense, they all get the fairings from the same factory. Hell, I'd be surprised if they don't share an office.

If the kit offers a tank cover, and your replacement fairings don't match the tank, the 86 bucks is definitely cheaper than having the tank resprayed.

The fitment on the Chinese stuff isn't so bad its unusable. I prefer oem fairings, but, the Chinese stuff does work. It is brittle though, so be careful with installation and you should be ok. Unless it drops. Because then it cracks. Like glass.

·
Registered
2000 R1
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By the time fairingmaster charges for shipping they are inline with the pricing for auctmarts or monster. Makes sense, they all get the fairings from the same factory. Hell, I'd be surprised if they don't share an office.

If the kit offers a tank cover, and your replacement fairings don't match the tank, the 86 bucks is definitely cheaper than having the tank resprayed.

The fitment on the Chinese stuff isn't so bad its unusable. I prefer oem fairings, but, the Chinese stuff does work. It is brittle though, so be careful with installation and you should be ok. Unless it drops. Because then it cracks. Like glass.
Who do you buy OEM fairings from? Direct from Yamaha or from which online store? Whenever I do a search, all that comes back are the chinese sets. I keep hearing that OEM are more expensive, but I don't know if they mean a set is $800, $2,000, or ...

·
Administrator
24,824 Posts
Who do you buy OEM fairings from?
Unfortunately for you, your bike is 22 years old and all of the oem parts are no longer produced by Yamaha. So good luck in your search! Here's my top 4 websites. There are probably 100 more. Just do a google search for "Yamaha OEM parts". Also remember that the 2000 and 2001 are identical although the color design of the fairings will be slightly different.

www.partshark.com/oemparts/l/yam/500444d6f8700209bc78f4bf/2000-r1-yzfr1m-parts
www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/l/yam/500444d6f8700209bc78f4bf/2000-r1-yzfr1m-parts
www.ronayers.com/oemparts/l/yam/500444d6f8700209bc78f4bf/2000-r1-yzfr1m-parts
www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/2000/r1-yzfr1m

Reactions: 1202067
1 - 4 of 4 Posts